Installation of Addco front sway bar for 63 Riviera need help

Mass9192

Hi fam! Need any help or advice I can get. I had a mechanic friend install a PST front end kit and a Addco front sway bar. Got everything done but he said the sway bar was to short by about 2in. What I need to know if there's a certain way to make this work or did I get a faulty one from company. I know someone here has had one put in so please any thoughts or advice on this would really help me to next stage. Thanks guys! 

2 hours ago, Mass9192 said:

Hi joe, he said length of the arms. Did you have one installed in yours? 

No, I'm trying to understand your problem. If you are saying that the arms that run parallel to the centerline of the car are too short, keep in mind that 1) the links to the control arms may not be perfectly vertical, and 2) since this is an aftermarket part, you may be required to move it on the chassis relative to the stock location.  Shorter arms on the bar effectively make it stiffer, since the lever arm that applies torque is now shorter.  Also, is the shop attempting to install the bar with the suspension at full drop (car in the air supported on the frame?  Try it with the suspension at ride height.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

No, I'm trying to understand your problem. If you are saying that the arms that run parallel to the centerline of the car are too short, keep in mind that 1) the links to the control arms may not be perfectly vertical, and 2) since this is an aftermarket part, you may be required to move it on the chassis relative to the stock location.  Shorter arms on the bar effectively make it stiffer, since the lever arm that applies torque is now shorter.  Also, is the shop attempting to install the bar with the suspension at full drop (car in the air supported on the frame?  Try it with the suspension at ride height.

Thanks joe! 

4 hours ago, C Carl said:

ANTI swaybar.

Anti ROLL bar, actually.  In fact, if you really want to get technical, it's a transverse torsion bar.

Is this where I say "I could care less..." :D

Is it "regardless" or "irregardless"?

(For the comically-challenged, that is intended to be a joke)

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

Anti ROLL bar, actually.  In fact, if you really want to get technical, it's a transverse torsion bar.

? ?? good news joe, went back and did what u said and they where able to put in with no issues smh. Thanks again for the help ??

7 hours ago, Mass9192 said:

? ?? good news joe, went back and did what u said and they where able to put in with no issues smh. Thanks again for the help ??

Great!  You MIGHT want to start looking for a more experienced mechanic... ;)

• Like 2

• 2 years later...
On 6/2/2017 at 8:23 PM, joe_padavano said:

Regardless and irregardless are the same identical words. Just like hisself and himself are interchangeable words. Yes, you can buy the genetic brand and save your own self money.

Turbinator

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

4 hours ago, Turbinator said:

Regardless and irregardless are the same identical words. Just like hisself and himself are interchangeable words. Yes, you can buy the genetic brand and save your own self money.

Turbinator

You forgot "hisownself"....

Question.

Did the new "anti" sway bar suck the front end down ?

Or is that an optical delusion ?

Putting a new "bar" on is not a big deal.

I stacked TWO "police" version bars (one atop the other by about 2") on the front end of my old '85 Mercury two door sedan, and a station wagon sized one on the back end.

That sucker would corner like a go cart.

Mike in Colorado

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/29/2019 at 8:28 AM, Mass9192 said:

No it didn’t. My Rivi is lowered. In fact the sway bar gave it great handling. Would recommend anyone with this brand. 

On 10/29/2019 at 8:28 AM, Mass9192 said:

No it didn’t. My Rivi is lowered. In fact the sway bar gave it great handling. Would recommend anyone with this brand. 

Sir, I like the stance-for your car.

Turbinator

• Like 1

MASS 9192, ADDCO rear part # is 934 but if it doesn’t fit Why buy it. Maybe Jamco ? To mount the rear sway bar under the coil springs so it’s tucked out of sight the bar has to be 29 1/2” wide. By mounting the sway bar under the rear coil you’ll need a coil spring compressor.  A longer grade 8 bolt is needed and patience or luck. Putting the bolt through the backing plate for the coil spring, the hole in the plate, and the hole already in the control arm takes some good manipulation. Pic of the mounting on the rear.

By the way my 63 handles very well with the front and rear sway bar. I’m not a hod rod type, but I like the safety features the sway bar pprovides.6E4F9598-54E3-4C04-8DD8-5D064CCFA1D5.thumb.jpeg.d2948aa67f2bf153736765e3a087b991.jpeg

• Like 1