RESPECT FOR MODIFIED VEHICLE OWNERS

I THINK I HAVE FOUND A WAY TO INTERACT WITH THE BOYS WHO LIKE MODIFIEDS-------INVITE THEM TO A NATIONAL MEET AND LET THEM HAUL YOUR VEHICLE

WHEN YOU GET THERE SEND THEM TO CLASS 36.  THEN EVERY ONE GOES HOME ALL EXCITED!

Here's an example:  A 1936 Ford Truck with a Chevy 501 engine taking my 1931 LaSalle to the Huntington Meet !

I got a repeat preservation and possibly a new member and he got a lot of tips on prepping a car for shows

Comments expected and appreciated.

My "FUN" badge is pegged on HIGH

003.JPG

• Like 7

Saw the car and the hauler there - impressive!  Have a good friend from NY who also showed there and has just created a rather impressive hauler too - his passion is fire trucks and it takes a hefty hauler to move those things around, so it was only natural that he would acquire a later model ladder truck and modify it into a hauler for the truck.  You are right - there is a lot of talent around and I've always felt that experiencing AACA either at a meet or on tour would help break down some barriers.  The muscle car classes at Huntington were outstanding. One of the best GTOs I've ever seen was there, and almost right behind it, one of the most impressive Z28 Cameros i've ever had the pleasure to drool over!    We're all trying to enjoy the car hobby.

By the way - good to see you there and the Lasalle is fantastic!

Terry

• Like 3

Bill, your friend's hauler and your LaSalle are both super! I bet you nearly caused several wrecks due to other drivers gawking at this combination on the turnpike.  It was my good fortune to be parked next to you at the show, and I enjoyed our conversations very much. Take care, Rick.

1 hour ago, Terry Bond said:

Saw the car and the hauler there - impressive!  Have a good friend from NY who also showed there and has just created a rather impressive hauler too - his passion is fire trucks and it takes a hefty hauler to move those things around, so it was only natural that he would acquire a later model ladder truck and modify it into a hauler for the truck.  You are right - there is a lot of talent around and I've always felt that experiencing AACA either at a meet or on tour would help break down some barriers.  The muscle car classes at Huntington were outstanding. One of the best GTOs I've ever seen was there, and almost right behind it, one of the most impressive Z28 Cameros i've ever had the pleasure to drool over!    We're all trying to enjoy the car hobby.

By the way - good to see you there and the Lasalle is fantastic!

Terry

TERRY: I'm the second owner of the car. Have had it 66 years. Only use it now to deliver old Hemmings magazines to young boys!     By the way: It's Camaro and La Salle (translates to "the room")

I founded the West Virginia Whitewater Region in 2004 and this was the first national meet for several members. They all were thrilled with the cars and the owners they met.

Overall, it was a great day for all,  and our membership earned eleven awards.

as ever, Willie

PS: I'm helping my friend build a "new" 

roll back hauler.  A 1950 Mack cab, Peterbilt sleeper, Ford 750 frame ,8.3 Cummins Diesel out of a BIG motorhome (a pusher)

• 2 weeks later...

A friend was building a very nice hauler for himself after he retired and closed his small restoration shop. Tom had a 51 Mercury cab over that was an airport fuel truck that he made into a four door crew cab out of two cabs. Was fitted on a modern Ford diesel chassis . Extensive metal work was done to center the wheels in the fender wells then flowing into the running boards trying to balance it all out. The tilt front end was done and the modern dash was in when he passed away never finishing his project after two years of work on it. It now sits in the garage collecting dust I understand. Last time I saw it the cab was in bare metal and the rest of the body was on the second floor storage in colour. Would like to see this one finished and on the road.     

Personally I'm been very impressed with loads of modified vehicles and also think many classic vehicles would have been scrapped if the imaginative enthusiasts who have turned hulks into things of beauty had to stick to originality.

They  are all valued  and help to maintain our automotive  hobby , no matter what gets them tickin , hod rods , muscle , modified etc 

I welcome all.

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65
Mistake (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I remeber someone on this board building a car hauler out a all aluminum travel trailer. the entire rear rose into the air on hydraulic to get the car in and out,  I not sure if he had sleeping and cooking in it too.  It was done right and he got a lot thumps up on this forum.

I OK with modern engine and frame use with antique cabs both 2 door and 4 door conversions.   I saw a nice early 50 GMC the guy build, it took 3 stock bed to fabricate the 10 foot bed to fit a modern chassis he wanted,  he had to widen and lenghen the beds to fit.  He still had a step side look to it.  Beautifully done.

• Like 1

When we were at the 2013 Buick Nationals at South Bend, the modifieds were way on the other side of the venue. 

It did not matter, we were not much interested in them. 

No offense to the owners, but we don't want to see a Buick Estate Wagon with a Blown Dragster engine in it.  We like them stock. 

At another national for another club, the organizers literally begged the hard core types to go and look at the modifieds (which again were off and away from the concourse judged vehicles).  I am afraid not many took the walk.  And why would they?  It is not what they came to the meet to see. 

To each his own. 

By the way, the hauler looks great. 

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 9:07 PM, packards42 said:

to fit a modern chassis he wanted,  he had to widen and lenghen the beds to fit.  He still had a step side look to it.  Beautifully done

Here you go,,,My 66 Chevy Camper Special.  I bought as a very rusted 2wd Fleetside in may 1993-4....from hemmings ad in PA, I am eastern CT.  Why I bought that one is:  I was sick and tired of sitting in long lines at the NEWLY created, but stupid attempt of The State, to test somg...to get matching hiway finds from Feds!  I say Stupid, because I AM a lifelong mechanic all thought the CARB cars era, which was still a big % of the smog tested cars there.  Well, They NEVER tested anything EXCEPT IDLE emissions.  WTH???  totally insignificant test unless all  CT CARS, are stuck in dead traffic IN CALIFORNIA..where sitting at idle for hours each day is part of the so called utopia of Cali life!!

DSCN0089.thumb.JPG.84718c1eb71492405cec7975c8a71e88.JPG

Poor view of truck taken maybe 4 years ago...but shows I DO still use it, and it ONLY goes out that door for WORK.  It now has 72 K20 4x4 chassios which is not that much newer, but gives a lower ride height, faster hiway gear, sway bar, disc brakes power brakes and bigger rear brakes... all at once. 

A rustfree fleetside bed was never found, so I made that super wide stepside bed from new steel, and by narrowing stock 60-66 rear fenders....that leaves just enough step, to help get things out of the bed, like tools/chains.. :) Fleet beds are impossible to reach into..remember the old stepside days?? Step is a greater idea, than fleet was.

Stock, that "original" truck was happy on hiway only at 55-60, my butchering lets this truck cruise easy at 80 in happy mode with that Load above!!...and can do a lot more if ever needed, but that is never needed.  :)

Build your vintage vehicle as YOU want, not chasing some predetermined goal of others!!  Run your life that way too??? you better hang on , then unbuckle your belt, and go for the real ride of...your lifetime!! >>>  :)= x10000

Edited by F&J (see edit history)