AVS619

Hentschel Distributor

Does anyone have a Dave Hentschel distributor that replaces a magneto that you are not using. Dave was a good friend of mine and he passed away way too young. I miss him. He was making up one of his distributors with a generator on it for charging the battery for my 1912 Oakland. It never got done. If you have any of his distributors that you are not using please let me know. Thank you indeed. Tom Edfors

Tom, I realize this post is getting a little old but do you know what happened to all of Dave's patterns, tooling and such for those distributors?  I actually have access to two of Dave's distributors on customer's vehicles ( single one on a Seagrave and a twin distributor one on a Crane-Simplex) that I could probably use to reverse engineer if I/we decided to make a few more but on the other hand,  I have wondered if there is still a market for manufacturing those distributors any longer.       

Edited by BRENT in 10-uh-C (see edit history)

I have seen a couple of Dave. H. dual distributor assemblies on different cars  and did know Dave personally.  To bad he passed!  Have you considered looking for a Delco Dual distributor for your auto application?  I considered buying a dist. from Dave but later decided to locate a Delco Dual to install on a T head project I am working on.   As it has turned out, with patience, I have located a second Delco unit (both these are 4 cylinder units).  I also have most of a third unit with is a similar but 6 cylinder unit.  It may be worth a look.  I will attach a few pictures of one of these Delco units.  Stutz and Pierce-Arrow trucks used the 4 cylinder type and for sure Pierce-Arrow used the 6 cylinder model.

Al

DSC01250.JPG

DSC01251.JPG

Delco 1.jpg

Thank you for responding. I wish I knew what happened to Dave's patterns and the like. The last time I was in his shop he had a few already in the works and they must have gone somewhere. He had a buyer for the distributer business but told me he would not sell as that was to be his retirement. Sad what happened. I think there would be a market for his distributers, especially the one with the generator built in. My solution to my problem with me '09 Regal was to get a Bosch DU-4. Now I need to find someone who can mount it, connect it to the drive and time it for me. Anyone near Wisconsin that could do that?

Thank you for responding.  Well, that kinda sets an awkward situation as I sure would hate to begin making those distributors and then someone comes out of the woodwork with all of Dave's stuff and is hoping to make them too. 

As far as me, I could probably "reverse engineer" a new distributor using both of the units available to me and have them drawn in CAD by the end of the August, and then another month or so have the modeling patterns drawn on a 3D printer and ready to go to the foundry.  From there, just write the code to have them CNC-ed out once back from being cast.  Adding a generator probably would not be that difficult for a single-ignition engine as I could use a twin-ignition distributor to mount a small alternator like was used on the small Kubota engines onto position where the second distributor cap would be located.  The output would likely only be around 10-15 amps in 12 volt (-½ of that in 6 volt), so it would be perfect for replenishing a battery used for engine starting and powering an ignition coil however it would be a tad small for those wanting to keep up with halogen lighting plus the other.

As for mounting your new mag., I am hesitant to offer my services here publicly on the forum, AND I am a distance away from you however if you find yourself struggling to find someone in the Midwest, feel free to contact me via PM or via my website and we'll get you taken care of.

HI,

I have bought all of Dave Hentschel  distributor stuff. Which is called Hadco. I am working on getting this back up an going shortly.

Thanks in advance for any interest in buy these.

Tim Dickson

• Like 1

Hi Tim. I did not now that you bought Dave's stuff. Please let me know when you have this up and running. Dave was going to make up one that has an alternator or generator in it to charge the battery but alas, that never happened. Email me at brasscars@charter.net when you have some for sale.

Hello Tim,

Keep us all updated on your time frame for having these Hentschell dual distributors available for sale.  They are a good thing as a replacement for problematic magnetos.  Do you know what happened to Dave H.'s Locomobile project?

Al