Sign in to follow this  
Dave Young

I need valves for an Orphan

My 1928 Chandler needs new valves.   Who would you guys recommend that I contact for them?  I have a set on hand but, unfortunately they have oversized stems.  This block has very low miles and everything is still standard.

IMG_0121.PNG

Have the set ground if everything else is ok. Should be easy to get done. Knurl the guides......and you can ream them to fit the valves if you wish. Reaming the guides may be the least expensive option. Be sure to keep everything square. And you will have to cut the seats and not lap them if you ream out the guides. You can call,e during the day tomorrow if you need any more help. Ed.

Someone on the Chandler forum might know of a source. You might post this on that forum also.

17 minutes ago, wilbur said:

This block has very low miles and everything is still standard.

It would be near impossible to have unworn guide bores. 

You have the best solution in hand, and as Ed said,ream your bores and use them,  A standard stem in a worn bore is a step backwards from what you have for parts.

Yes, the seats will need regrind, not a big job

The valves that I have on hand are for another block that I recently got back from the machine shop.  The valves have been fit to that block and the the valves guides sized accordingly for those valves.  I don't want to rob that set now.  The "running" Chandler that I'm working on now is a very low mile car and the existing guides are only showing .003 of clearance from the standard stem size.  The Dykes manual shows .008 as being the service limit.  If I could come up with a set of valves with a .375 stem and the correct head sizes, all would be good.  Stem length I can modify.  Any names ?

37 minutes ago, wilbur said:

Any names ?

The master of matching up book specs for prewar NORS in my area, is :

N.B.Pease & Co

Foundry St

Palmer Mass

No website, no recorder, so keep calling as it is one man place. 

1-four one three, two eight three, 7620

He has every old book, he matches sizes if needed.  He just made up a set of kingpins for my 32 Nash from just the book specs of individual pieces in a complete kit.  I was impressed....as usual, there

Closed Wed.  and Sun    

Sat till noon

Nelson is a long time friend and great guy. You can try but he probably won't have the valves. It's easiest to turn down another set to what you need. There are pleanty of valve suppliers, problem is they won't usually deal with a retail customer. Find a good rebuilding shop, that can help. Problem is you can spend hours sourcing the stuff. Offer to pay them for their time and let them know you understand that are helping you and providing a service. The shop that did the other Chandler motor should be able to handle it. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Ed.  My local guy who machined the other block has passed away and I haven't had any luck yet with the fellow in Mass who got the valves for me a few years ago.  I'm wishing I had grabbed more business cards at Hershey of parts suppliers!

You won't find direct fit valves, if yo do it will be a 1000 to 1 shot. It's gonna be easier to make what you need.

Just a suggestion.

If all seems lost try putting your query on the HAMB. It's full of people who spend most of their time dealing with challenges. They seem to know all the little shops that deal with custom parts for hot rods as well as our own group of restorers and engine builders.

Can't do any harm. Remember that most every amateur hot rod or race engine has many custom and tweaked internal parts - they do it on a daily basis. 

2 hours ago, wilbur said:

Ed, who might I contact to have valves made?  

Dave,

I use Reeves Enterprises In Cazenovia NY.

They make stainless steel valves for all my Franklin engine rebuilds.   If you think your water cooled engine valves run hot,..... these are for aircooled 100+ hp, 6 cyl pushing higher compression and the valves they machine hold up beautifully.  They can machine the valves to whatever you need and the cost is not much more than EGGE charges for regular steel valves.

Mike and Pat Reeves.

315-655-8812

They are a complete machine shop that can rebuild in house all engine types and vintage - collector, driver, commercial, race, stationary, & marine. 

Paul

Why not give us the specs, namely stem diameter, head diameter and overall length. Someone may know of a valve the same size or close enough to cut down. Length and head diameter are not hard to alter.

Sure!  .375" Stem,  6.40" Overall Length,  1.718" Intake Head and 1.593 Exhaust Head.   

On ‎5‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 5:53 PM, wilbur said:

Sure!  .375" Stem,  6.40" Overall Length,  1.718" Intake Head and 1.593 Exhaust Head.   

See post number 6.

read the first 5 words of first sentence.

Thank you, F&J.  Then and Now may have them.  He is rooting thru the warehouse.