1963 Buick Special "Pinhead"

Pinhead63

It looks like a big radiator.  It causes me to ask:  Is it possible to have too much cooling capacity? 

I mean I imagine it would take extra long to warm up the engine fully with a radiator that is too large.  Also is there any inherent problems with an aluminum engine if it does not get up to engine operating temperatures? The only thing I have in so far as experience with this was our 93 Buick Regal  Custom, which came with the towing package.   That package included an external trans cooler. I believe it was hooked up so the trans fluid went to the external cooler first, then through the radiator cooler.  Here in the Northeast, the car took a long time to heat up and cooled off rapidly when shut down.  Also the interior heater wasn't optimal as fast as our other cars, which were pretty much late 70's  GM products of one sort or another.

While I'm sure the tranny was the recipient of the benefit here, I just wonder if the aluminum engine would have a problem if it was to develop some cool spots  due to excess cooling capacity?

Yes, I agree, if the engine ever gets to that temp. If it doesn't then my question is:  could there be problems with an aluminum motor as a result?

As a side note, the '56 shop manual calls for a 160* thermostat in the summer.  In the fall however this is hardly adequate for the cabin heater.  In my 56 I used to have fouled plugs often.  However when I switched to a 180* thermostat several years ago, I have not had a fouled plug since.  I have heard that todays cars run 195* thermostats in part, at least, to aid in full combustion.  Would a cooler aluminum motor possibly run the risk of increased frequency of fouled plugs?

40 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

Yes, I agree, if the engine ever gets to that temp. If it doesn't then my question is:  could there be problems with an aluminum motor as a result?

As a side note, the '56 shop manual calls for a 160* thermostat in the summer.  In the fall however this is hardly adequate for the cabin heater.  In my 56 I used to have fouled plugs often.  However when I switched to a 180* thermostat several years ago, I have not had a fouled plug since.  I have heard that todays cars run 195* thermostats in part, at least, to aid in full combustion.  Would a cooler aluminum motor possibly run the risk of increased frequency of fouled plugs?

The engine should get to operating temp  via the thermostat keeping the system closed off to the radiator.            Agreed on the 160 thermostat.  Poor heating in the cabin, engine not very efficient and fouling plugs with my 54 .  It was almost like the thermostat was alway open allowing circulation all the time.   I currently run the 180 thermostat.  Much different in all respects.    

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

The 160 thermostat probably isn't open all the time, but most likely it's not allowing the coolant to stay in the engine long enough to absorb the heat from the block before it opens up and is purged to the radiator. There is a heat transfer coefficient that needs to be satisfied in the system, and its the limiting factor for how long it takes the heat to transfer from the solid block to the fluid coolant. Once it's at the radiator, its just normal convection. You shouldn't worry about how big the radiator is in terms of affecting the engine block. A larger radiator just means the fluid in it cools faster due to more surface area. If available, you could even benefit from a high flow water pump. The water pump's main purpose is to purge the block of fluid, so the faster you get it out, the quicker you can get the cool stuff in. They just inadvertently work harder and can cause more cavitation if not designed properly.

• Like 2

I wish i had some better before pictures this is my battery tray two of the corners were completely gone you can kinda see it in the first picture. I had a battery tray from a older skylark that was in good shape but not as long as my tray so i used it to patch the original tray.

20180225_105644.jpg

20180225_105656.jpg

I got them close to the shape I wanted with my angle grinder and the rest I ground with my bench grinder basically

On 3/17/2018 at 9:40 AM, MrEarl said:

Nice fab work Mike, with what did you cut the base plates with.?

I just ground off everything that wasnt a radiator bracket

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Im not sure. I cranked it for the first time after rebuilding the oil pump and the gauge read 90 psi then dropped to 50 psi after i ran it for a bit im assuming its working out the Vaseline i used to prime the pump but i dont know what normal pressure is for this engine

6 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I can't wait to see this car back on the road!   Did you get the oil pressure ironed out?

17 minutes ago, Pinhead63 said:

Im not sure. I cranked it for the first time after rebuilding the oil pump and the gauge read 90 psi then dropped to 50 psi after i ran it for a bit im assuming its working out the Vaseline i used to prime the pump but i dont know what normal pressure is for this engine

50 psi is plenty. 

2 hours ago, Pinhead63 said:

The radiator and all of the  "minor" modifications needed to install it are done.

20180413_102434.jpg

20180413_102441.jpg

Nice fabricating by the way!  Not sure what the factory Oil pressure should be but all mine run roughly 40 lbs at 2200 rpm.  The 78 stood out.  It was 37 lbs at 2400 rpm.

So 50 lbs at idle does seem high.   I had heard that pressure could be adjusted by spreading the spring in the pressure chamber.  Maybe it's got an incorrect spring in there?  One that too thick?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pinhead63 said:

In the old days, 10 lbs. per 1,000 rpm's was used as a guide.

• Thanks 1

I cant find any info in the manual on what the oil pressure should be but its quite possible I put the wrong spring in. I just went out and cranked her again and the pressure is back up to 80 psi so something isnt right ill have to look at my springs

• 2 weeks later...