DISK BRAKES ON '70 OLDS 98?

hello everyone,<P>i own a 1970 olds 98 2-door and was looking for front brake rotors, but... I CAN'T FIND THEM ANYWEAR!.. and i thought i'd be in and out the door with these things. all of the local parts stores are saying they don't show a '70 98 as having disk brakes. well, mine does.<P>i suppose the previous owner could have converted them from drums, but they look stock to me. i just can't tell, but i'd think disks would have to be stock to stop this MONSTER. if anyone owns a '70 98, could you please take a minute to look and see what type of brakes it has up front? anyone else who knows, i'd really appreciate it. also, if anyone knows where i can buy 98 rotors, please let me know (they are 12" dia and 30+mm thick).<P>it's may already, and my RED ROCKET is still in the hanger. thanks for any info.

thanks henry,<P>at least now i know what i'm looking for. unfortunately, NAPA doesn't have them. they didn't show a listing in their books for '70 98 rotors. only '71s and on. 2 days ago, i picked up a pair of '71 rotors thinking they would fit... today i took them back.<P>thanks again for your help. i'm sure i'll find these things, it's just a matter of time.

thanks a lot,<P>that part number should be helpful, and what you say makes sense. the NAPA guy pulled a '70 f85 rotor, but it was 11" diam (too small). ok, now we're headed in the right direction.<P>i gotta say this is a terrific site. i posted my topic 2 hrs ago and i'm already getting useful info. amazing! this place is more helpful than all the parts stores in columbus, oh combined.<P>thanks again...

If you can do some checking on part munbers I have a new set of front rotors for a 70 Buick, fits all series B-C-E, Lesabre, Wildcat Electra amd Riviera, These are NEW, and fit the 70 only. I will get the part number and post it later today, Aftermarket Wagner or some other brand. I know on the Buicks the disc brakes were an option and rare, up to 1970.<BR>Jim Schilf / palbuick@aol.com

I checked a Hollander interchange manual and it list the full size '69-'70 Oldsmobile 88 98 rotor as being exclusive.<P>Buick is not the same.<P>It also list a drum brake for '70 full size Oldsmobile so it seems that the disc were an option.<P>For'71 rotors were shared with all full size GM cars and 1/2 trucks.

Here's more Hollander info Rocketraider<BR> Seems like during the development of disc brakes '67-'70 all the fullsize GM lines used their own designs.<P>'67-'70 Cadillac/Buick/Oldsmobile/Pontiac and Chevrolet fullsize cars all have different rotors, nothing interchanges between the divisions.<P>During this era full size parts like all the upper and lower control arms and spindles were dedicated for each division only. <P> With the total redesign of the '71 full size cars all GM except Cadillac would share front end assemblies of spindles, control arms and brake systems.<BR>Henry.

thanks guys.<P>all of this info is very helpful. i've found a few leads online, and think I may have located the rotors. won't know for sure until after the holiday weekend. thanks again. all of this knowlage is proving valuable and very interesting.