1946 Buick Sedanette Positive or Negative Ground

Guest Von Skip

Guest Von Skip

Working on my bud's Buick 1946 Sedanette... a car that hasnt run for a while and wich prev owner didnt get to start.

Now we are looking, when we try to start it the startermotor bendex goes out but also there seems to be short-circuit at the point where  the startercable connects to starter.

So we wandered... startermotor no good or could it be that this Buick has postive ground (its wired by prev owner as negative ground...

We dont get it ;-( Anyone here?

Guest Von Skip

Ah Thanks! Jackofalltrades70 ;-) 

It seemed one inner wire was loose so we fixed that, also the copper strap on starter was broke and fixed that.

It turns over at this moment but, with a new 6 v battery, very slowly, not really enthousiastly...

I noticed there's only one ground strap and thats from engine to battery, So think i will make two more tomorrow... one from battery to frame and one from engine to frame.

Hope that helps, for now we also couldnt see any spark, but maybe thats due the lack of ground and starting power also...

And check the gauge of the battery cables--1 gauge at absolute minimum, best is 00 welding cable. If it has 12V battery cables, you'll never get satisfactory starter performance.   6V systems are VERY sensitive to bad connections, especially bad grounds.  On 6V lighting systems, my first tool is a 10 gauge jumper wire to a good ground.

Another tip.  The 6 volt straight eights turn over much slower than a 'newer' v8 on 12v. I suggest doing a quick revision of everything electrical....... coil, point gap and spark at points, rotor, cap. Also make sure the wire that passes through the distributor base is not grounding on the distributor.

Matt