benjamin j

the 240z storry

I was doing some reading on a 1973 240z before I went to see if I wanted it or not. I found that Nissan had went around and bought up tons of the 240z cars. then they refurbished them and sent them out to Nissan dealers in 1998 to sell with a one year warranty 12,000 miles. have any other cars ever had this done.  

Toyota is doing this in NZ. They have what they call  "Signature Class", which is a used car they have taken to a plant in Thames and refurbished as necessary. Many of them are probably used imports from Japan.

This may be of interest to 240Z fans.

https://targa.com.au/tc/news_details.asp?asset_id=29764

Last month this car finished 9th OVERALL in Targa Tasmania, our local 5 day closed road tarmac rally. I'm a little out of touch with the event, but back when I was competing, (2000 and beyond), it was an International motor sport event, attracting a number of well known international drivers. I notice the entries have fallen from around 260 starters to around 115, but for the Z-car to come in ahead of so many hard driven Porsche GT3, GT4 etc, says something for the Datsun's original design. (And the peddler!).  First and second outright were Dodge Vipers.

Mick.

6 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I have a vague memory of Lea Francis selling refurbished used cars as new back in the twenties.

Damm, Rusty, you're good!  I can't remember that far back.:D

Ben

I remember when they did that (Magazine article), but there where still plenty of good ones around then.  This was first of 4 in a row over a 20 year period.  Was a ball on Pike's Peak!5915b4ed17cd1_240Z.thumb.jpg.d923f55eede34aa288396aa495396c53.jpg

Edited by Paul Dobbin (see edit history)

Went to buy a Mustang in 1979.

The gaps in the hood and doors, fit in finish, was disgusting. I went to the Datsun dealership and this is what rolled off the show room floor.

1 per dealer. 1001 produced with the stripes and whale tail. Datsun, 280 ZXR. I drove the crap out of it till I got married and along came a baby. 144,000 miles with NO problems. No baby seat in this.

Wish I had her back.

I think I payed 14,800 for it.

Bill H

images.jpeg

images-2.jpeg

Had a 1973 beer bottle brown 240Z and it was absolutely one of the best handling and quick for it's size cars I have ever owned. REALLY great handling and a BLAST to drive.

My second one was a champagne & black 280Z.  But the best of the four was the 1979 280ZX (Picture)
591636c6c0132_280ZX.thumb.jpg.ac1251916b64586b65f63e9658dee0cf.jpg
 This week a local car lot got a 1980 Gold & Black 10th Anniversary Edition on his lot, with 79,000 miles.  Seems like he wants to keep it.

In 1996 Nissan did a special Z restoration program with the 240Z. The plan was to restore 200 71-72 240Z's to maintain awareness of the Z until the next generation Z was released in the marketplace. However, they only ending up actually building 38 of them and selling them to only select Nissan Dealers. The marketing concept was really good but as you can imagine, going to the parts bin looking for 1972 parts in 1996 was a real challenge and in many cases the bin was empty so they had to create new old parts in many cases. They did completely disassemble the cars, rebuild the drive line and restore the cars and offer a 12 month warranty on them. Even though they only built a very limited number of cars the program is still remembered today.

I have only bought two brand new cars in my life.

One was a Datsun 2000. One of the last ones.

I had a friend that sold Datsuns and he urged me to wait for the Z to come out but only in a coupe. This must have been in 1970 or so.

I wanted a roadster and had the dough in hand.

That 2000 would out run any big block car on the road when the hard top was on and damn fast with the rag top as well.

I remember getting into it with a 427 Vette driving down the Columbia gorge. I shifted in to the highest gear at about 140 mph.

That guy followed me to the next fuel stop just to have a look.

Those Healy 3000 guys hated me too.

But I was young and stupid and ended up crashing the thing.

• Like 2

I don't know when the last Z car dissolved away up here in Minnesota, but like step down Hudsons and the unit body Ford pick ups, road salt made them collapse from the inside out in a few short years.

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1

About 1980 we got a 1973 240Z that had about 100K miles on it. The wife wanted a sports car, but we didn't want to spend a great deal on it, and I was willing to do a little work on it, where necessary. Probably should have held out for a 71 or 72, but duel Webbers and getting rid of the air pump made it a great car. I spent about 200 hrs. on paint prep and paint and the car looked great, IMHO. It was a great step up from the TR3 that I had several years previously. Seat position that was comfortable (no more sitting on the floor with feet straight out), a heater that actually worked, independent rear suspension, front disc brakes and a six cylinder OHC engine that just wanted to run and pull and pull. I didn't like the ventilation system, that thing could get beastly hot in the cabin, on a hot sunny day. No salt on the roads so the little rust was confined to the bottom of the front fenders, not a hint of structural damage. I could see, however, how rust would be a problem in a less inviting environment then the PNW.

When my X-wife blew the head gasket at about 170K miles, I decided that it must be time to freshen up the engine. Upon tear down, I was surprised to find virtually no ring ridge and all the bearings within tolerance. Cleaned up the head, new rings, rod bearings, and timing chain and it was as good as new. My X got the car at time of divorce and it still ran great, and looked OK, when see sold it at 230K miles, in 1995.

• Like 1

Quoting Buffaloed Bill "I could see, however, how rust would be a problem in a less inviting environment then the PNW." Ha, Bill, You're a diplomat!

James Sheehan

Minneapolis MN (a place with warm hearts, but a less inviting environment)

A note of interest about Z Cars.  Of the 4 that I owned, all were was Ziebarted when new.  (A anti-rust spray treatment

inside the body panels, with the access holes covered by a plastic plug)  

The 72 240 Z had no rust when i sold it in 1980.

The 77 280 Z.had no rust when I sold it in 1984.

The 79 289 ZX had no rust when i sold it in 1991

The 84 300 ZX  had rust in the windshield pillars when I bought it and the metal repair was still pretty good when I traded

it in 1995.

After that i never saw Ziebart Shops again.  Was the product to good?  I think it really worked well.

Paul, it would be interesting to have followed some of your cars farther into their second decade to see how they held up. The car that I owned had no sign of rust until it was about ten years old at which time it had about 120K miles on it. If the process would have stalled the inevitable rust on any one of your cars it would have made me a believer! You could have been the poster child for Ziebart!

On 5/13/2017 at 8:41 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

A note of interest about Z Cars.  Of the 4 that I owned, all were was Ziebarted when new.  (A anti-rust spray treatment

The 84 300 ZX  had rust in the windshield pillars when I bought it and the metal repair was still pretty good when I traded

it in 1995.

After that i never saw Ziebart Shops again.  Was the product to good?  I think it really worked well.

On 5/13/2017 at 8:41 PM, Paul Dobbin said:

it in 1995.

you were very fortunate. most cars that were rust-proofed in the 70's and there were a lot, due to dealers wanting to increase profit margins on imports, those that were sprayed were often the first to rust out. it seems the rustproofing sprayed into the inner panels often ran down the sides and plugged the drain holes causing water to build up in places it wouldn't ordinarily.

• Like 1

Like anything we get done, the person who actually did the did was the only one who knew if the buyer was getting a through job.

All of my Z-Cars came to me second hand, but i was happy to find that it had been done. At least on 3 of the 4, rust didn't appear

during my ownership while that was not true of many 70's cars that were daily drivers.

I have bad memories of this car. In high school I rolled many times in one. A t top. The driver and two people sharing the passenger seat were in the front. I was on the shelf behind the seats, sitting across the car with my hand on the t top. Some how I was ok, just a little shaken up and probably a concussion. The two in the passenger seat got more banged up and the car was totaled. We went into a field and were lucky we didn't roll into a tree. The friends behind us saw it all and said it rolled multiple times. Still don't like that car because of it. 

Driver was going way too fast and lost it on a corner on a dirt road. They pushed it back up the road and got back in and hobbled it to our destination. I refused to get back in and got a ride with the friends following us. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

I did end up with this car after I looked at it. it had hung in a barn for 25 years. the previous owner bought it and disassembled it then bolted the body to planks and hung it sideways.   he did a very good job of bagging all the parts and not losing anything. it is almost rust free and has the original engine.

On ‎17‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:43 AM, victorialynn2 said:

Driver was going way too fast and lost it on a corner on a dirt road. They pushed it back up the road and got back in and hobbled it to our destination. I refused to get back in and got a ride with the friends following us. 

If there was drinking involved, that was probably a good idea.

Craig

• Like 1

I wasn't but found out later the drive had been. We were going to camp in a field. There was a band and the entire point was no drinking and driving. 

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)

14 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I wasn't but found out later the drive had been. We were going to camp in a field. There was a band and the entire point was no drinking and driving. 

It's sometimes amazing that we survive our youth at all.

• Like 1

I had a 260, 2-280, and 2-300's. One of the 280s would just die on the road. I would pull over wait a few minutes and it would start and run fine for weeks. Took it to the dealer multiple times and no luck finding the problem.  I told a friend that owned a German car repair shop and he said bring it in. Two days later it had all Bosch electronics in it and ran like a top. He said once he figured out the codes they were direct replacements for the Japanese parts.