Are some newsletters via internet only?

I was talking to a very active member of our own region,

and he told me something I hadn't heard before:

At least one region, possibly more, have their newsletters 

only in electronic format.

One couple he knows in that region doesn't have the 

internet, and they say because of the digital newsletter,

they no longer have any connection with the club.

They don't hear of events, and they miss them.

They're figuring they shouldn't renew their membership,

after years of being active in that region.

The information I got was from a friend, not from the

people involved, so it's second hand.  But the region

is a specific one in Florida.  Is this true?  If it is, it sounds

like it needs correcting, and that national AACA should

address this in their Editor's Manual for future instances.

Hi John,

There are several regions that do their newsletters in electronic format.  In some of the regions,  the members that wish to receive

a hard copy pay a little bit more to cover the postage. 

Kim Gardner

I don't have an answer to that, however, it seems to me that it was mentioned at the newsletter seminar in

Philly about regions that only do electronic having to print out their newsletter to send in for the newsletter

contest.  I would hope that if a region/chapter decides to go the electronic route, they would still print

some copies for those that want to receive a hard copy.  Mary Bartemeyer or Pat Buckley might know if

there are any that only produce electronic copies.

I have no idea how many regions produce only a digital newsletter but I can say that as far as I know the Buzzard's Breath Region only distributes its newsletter by email. If some members get printed copies, I am not aware of it,. My local Cape Fear Chapter newsletter is also emailed to all of the members. A couple of years or so ago, the members all agreed to receive the newsletter by email. It works well. Our chapter is very active and everybody gets regular updates on information about events as well as the newsletter by email.  

The new procedures for the NAAP will mean that those who may want to compete in the NAAP will no longer have to print out copies to mail to the evaluators if they prefer not to have that expense. 

Updated information: I have now learned that there are a small number of longtime members of the Buzzards Breath Region who do still receive a mailed newsletter. The majority of the members of the region receive the newsletter by email.

That practice evidently wasn't working well

for the region I described.  When a region

agrees to distribute a newsletter electronically,

is the membership's vote unanimous?  Unanimous

agreement on that issue might be unusual.  Or were

some elderly members not able to be present to

have their vote counted?  It sounds as if some

people in the minority may get put adrift.

Is there a region without older members, so that everyone agrees?

Is it true that everyone in that region uses e-mail regularly?

One thread on our forum addresses promoting youth;  

let's also cherish our older members!

Our local chapter has members from pre-teen to their late 80s, possibly some in their 90s. I regularly receive emails from members in their 80s. It works for our chapter. Everybody agreed to the change when it was made here. I can't speak for anywhere else.  

11 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Is there a region without older members, so that everyone agrees?

Is it true that everyone in that region uses e-mail regularly?

One thread on our forum addresses promoting youth;  

let's also cherish our older members!

My region sends them out both ways, at no charge, although as Kim said, there are some clubs that charge an extra fee. Personally, I want a hard copy. I do almost all of my reading and research by hard copy. 

• Like 1

I had this discussion recently with a good friend who has been in the newsletter editors chair for a number of years, and feels the pinch of a tight budget. The simple answer is of course provide the option of on-line distribution. 

It saves a tremendous amount of money by eliminating the printing and mailing end of the newsletter as much as possible.  Of course it also saves the added work involved with printing, sorting, stapling, licking stamps, etc.  Timeliness is instant for the on-line editions - everybody gets them at the same time.  That's critical when sending important information about events.  Here in the Tidewater area of Virginia, if I mail a letter to my neighbor, it goes to the Post Office, then gets trucked to Richmond, then returned and eventually delivered.  Our own region (Tidewater) went to the on-line way of doing things several years ago, and although we still "snail-mail" a few copies to those who prefer them, or don't use computers, the overwhelming response is extremely favorable.

-An on-line newsletter can be all color - and have tons of nice photos in it.  Printed editions-you are at the mercy of the printer and quality often suffers. Expense of course is another issue. 

-On-line newsletters can be archived/posted on the club website - visit ours and see for yourself.   No more arguing with the spouse about who had the newsletter last or who spilled ketchup on it!

-On-line newsletters can be as big as you want or need them to be without worrying about the cost of paper, whether you have an even number of pages or if you have anything that won't fit.

AACA has made the adjustment for the newsletter awards/recognition program to allow for on-line. 

If some of your members still want the printed edition that's fine, but printing and mailing only half dozen copies still represents a big savings.  You can still sell some advertising to put into the on-line edition, and it gives even greater exposure and value for the advertising bucks they spend.

Remember, the newsletter is what holds the club together.  In many cases it represents all some members receive for their dues bucks.  As a recruiting tool,  especially when considering attracting a new generation of enthusiasts, use of technology prevails and your club website (with newsletters) is the first place a prospective member will probably look.  

Every club that has ever gone this route has been through the same discussion - remember, you are not "forcing" this on anyone, you'd be surprised to learn how many members would actually prefer it this way.  It's also amazing how so many give it a try and now wouldn't go back the other direction.

Why not give them the best you can instead of cutting it down to fit the budget.

I'm rather passionate about newsletters - it's where I began with my AACA Career years ago.  I've presented many Philly seminars on the topic and I know Mary Bartemeyer our current VP of Publications, her committee, Wayne and others with similar experience would support anyone who wants to go this direction.

Terry

For those regions that put their electronic newsletters

on their website, how do they take care of privacy?

One could have a "members only" part of the website, but

showing the newsletter to people who are not yet members

would promote the region.  This exposure to the world is

far different, though, from handing out some extra copies

at a car show.  For instance,

---Our newsletter gives all our officers' names, addresses,

phone numbers, and electronic mail addresses.

Great for members' use;  but not for every solicitor

and scammer.  When my e-mail address was listed on

our region's website, I started getting unwanted solicitations.

I had it quickly removed from the website. leaving only a phone number.

---Our newsletter naturally has articles about people's cars.

We even list various members and the cars they own in each issue,

so people in our large club can share information.  However,

car ownership shouldn't be publicized to the whole world--  

that would be like flashing a roll of big bills in public.

Joe Smith doesn't want every charlatan and crook, for instance,

to know that he has a rare Corvette.

---How do you keep articles from being reused without

authorization by anyone who happens to see them?  We spend

many, many hours on researching and writing.  I noticed that

one article I did around 2012 was republished (stolen) by

who-knows-who on some unknown website--and that was

from a printed-only issue that was not released electronically at all!

Perhaps some regions don't mind these things,

but I am always circumspect--on my own and our members' behalf.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Our region is the Westerly-Pawcatuck Region (RI and S. East CT). The newsletter is sent out by e-mail, posted on our website, and mailed to all those who prefer it that way. The club pays postage. Some of our members do not use computers and some just prefer a mailed copy. Everyone is happy (of course our editor understandably would prefer the e-mail ony system). htttp://www.wpraaca.com

On May 10, 2017 at 5:33 PM, John_S_in_Penna said:

For those regions that put their electronic newsletters

on their website, how do they take care of privacy?

We have the names of officers on the web newsletter but we eliminated their phone numbers and e-mail addresses. Instead each officer name (except mine)  links to a contact form. The person using the form is asked to specify to whom the message is directed and then write their message. All mail comes to me (I am the webmaster) and I forward it to the appropriate person. Members can always retrieve phone numbers and e-mail addresses from a password-protected 'Members Only' menu item. http://www.WPRAACA.com

Edited by Roadmaster71
error (see edit history)