Sign in to follow this  
Matthew Hinson

Looking for a good fender beater in NY

Hi All,

I've been working on my 24 Lincoln Tuoring car. The fenders are thick and heavy, one of them needs some rather complex straightening.  I was wondering if there is anyone in the NYC/Long Island area capable of working these back into shape. They need hammer and dolly work. I think most shops today are not experienced enough to get the job done right.

Thanks!

Matthew Hinson, Brooklyn NY

Matthew,  You are right, body work has changed to panel replacement.  Find a shop that has an older body man that is their "steel guy".

They are still out there but probably all over 60 years old by now.  The trick is to know where to hammer to get the steel to go where you want it without getting a golf ball finish. Good Luck.

Try looking for a restoration shop with an "English Wheel",  

D & D are not close but they will do it correctly.

They can build a new fender if needed.

They have restored winning cars at Pebble Beach.

D&D Classic

2300 Mote Dr.

Covington, Ohio 45318

http://www.ddclassic.com/index.html

Automotive Restorations in Lebanon, N.J at 1050 Rt 22, south side of the road. It is about 65-70 miles from Brooklyn, but Steve Babinsky who owns the shop and his crew of master craftsman know how to message metal from that era and do it well. phone 908 236 6400. He is not inexpensive, but you get what you pay for, you may have to wait your turn though.

• Like 1

Shaeffer and Long

Magnolia NJ

they restored Lenos Mercer................... and are  THE BEST!

5 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

Matthew,  You are right, body work has changed to panel replacement.  Find a shop that has an older body man that is their "steel guy".

They are still out there but probably all over 60 years old by now.  The trick is to know where to hammer to get the steel to go where you want it without getting a golf ball finish. Good Luck.

Or an oil can effect.

There were two guys in the Bridgeport CT area that I had a tour of their shop a few years ago. These guys worked I believe at Rolls Royce in Great Brittan and took their skills here to the US. I will reach out to see if anyone has their number, it was impressive they could make fenders from scratch and made it look easy.