Machine Gun

Need a Source for '64 Skylark Rear Window Reveal Molding Clips

I have a set of new clips that mount to the body, but I'm missing the ones that slide into the stainless moldings and engage with the body clips. The car is a 1964 Skylark four door sedan, model 4369 to be precise. I searched high and low for a source of the clips for the molding around my rear window, and I came up dry. OPGI, Year One, Old Buick Parts, 65gs, clipsandfasteners.com, Classic Industries, Cliphouse, Auveco, Fusick, and others to no avail. I'm out of ideas. Does anyone know of other sources I might try? I expect the rear glass to be replaced within the next two weeks and I'd sure like to have the molding back on by then. Thanx. - Jim

Skylark Rear Window Reveal Molding Clip1.jpg

Skylark Rear Window Reveal Molding Clip2.jpg

Skylark Rear Window Reveal Molding Clip3.jpg

Edited by Machine Gun (see edit history)

IF you can find a Buick parts book PRINTED in about 1965 or 1966 (when your model year would have been being repaired by body shops and such), you might find a GM part number that might help with verifying what you need.  Might give the aftermarket vendors something to better deal with, too.  A Chilton or MOTOR "crash manual" might help provide the number, too.

Finding an out-of-the-way old salvage yard with a similar vehicle might work, too.  I suspect the clips would also be used on model years of that same body/platform range rather than just your model year . . . but stranger one-year things have happened in GM and others.  Might need to purchase the moldings to get the set of clips.  This would be something done by yourself or trusted "others" than by phone, typically.  Good pictures!

NTX5467

Chasander: Thanx for the tip, but unfortunately no joy at NAPA.

NTX: I have the Buick Illustrations and Parts catalogs, but they were printed in 1972. Perhaps I might be better looking one up from the period as you suggest, because neither of my catalogs shows an image of the clips, and as you probably know the catalogs don't show details for specific years anyway.

There's also a bit of confusion with the parts catalog. For my year and body style they show a quantity of 22 of one type of clip, which seems to be the correct number of clips all around the window, but the catalog shows only 7 of another type of clip they describe as "upper." There are no additional clips or part numbers listed for the remaining 15 clips. I did a part number search on the qty 22 type clip and that one looks to be the ones that mount to the body. The other part number is 4469127, and the only information that showed up after multiple searches was that the part is discontinued and no replacement part number was given. So, without at least an image I don't even know if that's the part I'm looking for.

I've been searching the web for days now, so perhaps I'll have to look for someone who has a parts car. I will also see if I can find someone with an earlier version of the parts catalog in the hope that it will have more useful information in it. In the meantime it looks like I'll be riding around this summer with a dry trunk and an ugly window frame!

Thanx for your thoughts and suggestions. - Jim

Thanks for that information.  Looks like you're doing a diligent search.  It's been my observation that windshield and rear glass moldings use only the body-mounted clips for molding retention.  So what you describe seems unusual, but not improbable, for a specific reason on that particular model build.  A parts car looks to be the best alternative at this time.

In many cases, the GM parts illustrations are quite detailed, but some of those finer details might require a strong magnifying glass to discern, by observation. 

GM printed parts books each quarter of the year, along with price books several times each year.  The initial 1964 parts would have been in the last printing in 1963.  GM used to be good at showcasing the new parts for the new models in "yellow pages" at the front of the parts book.  That allowed parts managers to know specifically what was new so they could place an initial stock order for the then-recently-introduced models.  Being "ahead of the curve" rather than waiting for demand to happen.

The 1972 printings did contain any part number changes and part number deletions for all models prior to the 1972 models, but illustrations would be only for the later models.

NTX5467

NTX: Yes, it looks like I'll have to look for a parts car and also scour tables at flea markets. The rear view of my car promises to be somewhat ugly for the foreseeable future.

Rick: Yes, I did try Restoration Specialties. I sent e-mails with photos to two other suppliers in the hope that someone might recognize the clip and help me out. I plan to send out more e-mails as time permits. Just because a part doesn't show up on a website doesn't necessarily mean that the supplier doesn't have it somewhere in inventory. I'm being optimistic.

• Like 1