Model 20 Fuel Line

MochetVelo

My Hupmobile Model 20 came fitted with a glass-bowl-type fuel filter. I took the filter element out to allow better fuel flow, but it has so many fittings that it leaks. I'm considering connecting the fuel line directly to the Breeze carburetor. It now has a 3/8" fuel line from the tank and a 1/4" line to the carb. I hear that in-line fuel filters are too restrictive for the gravity-flow fuel systems. How do other owners do this?

Phil

P1010989.JPG

I have a line straight to the carburetor.  Gas tank has been cleaned and coated correctly, so really don't worry about corrosion.  My biggest problem has been keeping the outlet valve from the tank from leaking!  But, think I have it fixed now....now if I can just get off my butt and get cam installed I'll be back on the road....

I have a 1/4 inch line all the way, that's plenty of gas for the little Hupp....gas tank even almost empty, you've still got a couple of feet head to the inlet of the carb, which is around 1 psi....full tank and you have at least 2 psi......

I eliminated the filter and it various fittings and joined the 3/8" line from the tank to the 1/4" line to the carburetor with a 3/8" fuel hose. The compression rings on the two copper tubes act as "barbs" to seal the hose. It may not look original, but the fuel flows freely, and the engine started right up. 

Phil

P1010993.JPG