Making the AACA More Appealing to Young People

35 minutes ago, 1912Staver said:

Those are sweet, but from what I have seen locally much more expensive than the next bodystyle newer. Usually at least double , often triple. Expensive enough I wouldn't use one as a light duty truck / utility vehicle. They are fringe " muscle car era " favorites and have 

gone way up in value on the coattails of  SS Chevelle's. 

Greg in Canada

They actually still lag quite a bit.  Some really nice ones can be had south of 20 and even in the low teens with some serious looking.  Of course you see 30 and 40 G examples but they aren't selling or are fresh rotisserie restorations that the owners spent double that on.  I've had a 59 or 60 on my radar for years and every now and then a good one comes along for around 20.  Same with the 57-58 Ranchero. We are talking very nice looking turn key drivers or local show car quality. 

With muscle cars actually coming down a tad and not riding the crest any more,  you will probably see the 68-72 drop a little as guys that want a chevelle don't have to buy an elcamino because alot of examples are available,  but you have the other side of the coin that trucks have become really hot so they will specifically drive the elcamino prices up as opposed to the regular production line. 

Just like stocks,  it's all timing with a bunch of luck. 

If you ever get serious about looking for one.  Post a budget and wish list year drivetrain etc.  and we'll see what we can turn up.  I love shopping with other peoples money.  Just ask Mercer09. ;) 

• Like 2

The last 1974 I was looking at { last summer } was a light project. Very decent body { came from Oregon } with orig paint and the expected wear of a 40 + year old used but not badly abused vehicle. Interior plastic was suffering from the typical GM product surface deterioration.

250 6 Cyl, and 3 speed manual, both of which are fine with me esp. the manual trans. Running and drivable, but needing at least brakes, probably in reality a comprehensive mechanical go thru. Some paperwork complications. Legally imported from the U.S.A. with correct paperwork but it had changed hands 

since importation and was a more convoluted process than usual to get legal B.C. registration.  But just a few extra hoops, nothing even remotely close to what I hear of Title problems in the U.S.  $2,500.00 Canadian

Seemed like a decent deal. It only recently sold. The market is tough around here for projects.

Greg in Canada

When I was 24 I became a joint member of AACA with my wife, who was 23.  At the time the AACA entry rule was nothing newer than 1935, except for some Full Classic cars I couldn't even dream about owning.  I was a high school graduate, working for the Federal government and we had two young daughters, after being married at 20 and 19 years old.  I had owned a number of old cars as a teenager, but nothing older than 1939. 

In order to participate we had to hire a baby sitter to attend the Region club meeting for our once a month night out.  After all, we lived in Glen Burnie south of Baltimore and the meeting was in Towson, well north of Baltimore.  At my first meeting I was introduced, and they asked me what kind of old car I had....this was 1962.  I stood and said, "well I don't have a car right now, but I hope to find a 1939 Buick."  Immediately 2 or maybe 3 old men on the front row jumped up, turned to look at me and derided what I had said, hollering "that is just a used car, and they weren't any good when they were new!"  I gulped and sat down.

I knew what they said wasn't true.  My parents had driven me all over the eastern U.S. and as far from Washington, DC as Michigan from 1941-1951 in a 1939 Buick, and that model held many memories.  Already as a teenager I had owned two 1939 Buicks.  But, I felt properly chastised and tried to comply.  I found a 1934 Pontiac 8 with sidemounts and a luggage rack for $100 at a nearby Glen Burnie mechanics garage and he wanted $100 which I couldn't afford.  However, around Chriistmas he called the house and talked to my wife while I was at work.  He asked what we would give for the Pontiac.  She replied, "I'll give you $90.00, and he took it.  So, that was my Christmas present for 1962.  It turned out the Pontiac had a loose rod, and by the next Christmas I had sold it for $120 and was back to no approved antique car.

Around October, 1963 my best friend, John Dunbar (now a retired police office living in Michigan) called and told me he had found a 1939 Buick in our hometown of Arlington, VA.  I was able to buy it for $120 and drive it back to my home in Glen Burnie on my birthday, Oct 19th.  I stayed in the club and decided to ignore those club member who derided my car as an "old used car".  I was pretty shabby but I drive it to club functions anyway and just let them talk.  Not many young people with two kids barely able to afford the house payment would have stuck around in that situation.  But I was a fighter when I was  young.

In 1964 they lost their newsletter editor, and I volunteered.  In 1965, I attended my first Philadelphia to accept an an award for that newsletter done in 1964.  In 1965 they elected me President and some of the old members quit the club.  I had gotten several raises over the years, and was able to afford a paint job in enamel, making the car look pretty much exactly like my first car ever, in 1955.

But nothing changed.  AACA was still stuck on 1935 and it didn't' look like there would ever be any change, but I stuck to my coarse.  In 1966 another young member and I started the CHVA (Contemporary Historical Vehicle Assn.) with by-laws much in the image of AACA with with some changes to correct things we didn't agree with; for example Directors who held office for up to 35 years.  CHVA rules in 1967 were 1928-1948, plus the 1949 Cadillac 75 and 1949 Buick 40, both of which looked like 1942-1948 models.  The Club grew like gangbusters. Both of us remained active in AACA.  I did the local newsletter for 8 years, while also doing the CHVA magazine.  Eventually both of those things changed, but in 1970 I joined the AACA judging team.  I wrote prize-winning articles in the AACA National magazine in 1969 and 1971.  In 1968 AACA decided to accept one new year every other year, the first being 1936 models.  Finally, in 1974 AACA gave in and adopted the 25-year rule, and by 1977 was asked to be Judges Training Director in 1977.  From there I joined the National Capital Region, AACA also and Chaired the Eastern National Meet in 1984 at the U. of Maryland, College Park.  Finally, in 1994 I was asked to run for AACA National Director in 1995 and I was elected to the first of five consequitive terms, being chosen as National President in 2004. 

During those early years I thought that somehow letting in cars younger than 25 years old (lets say 20 yers old) in to some sort of learning Class would help people work up to having show cars when they became 25 years old.  But now, I think if  younger people don't have the desire and interest, and staying quality, they're not going to fight the expense rigors of buying a house, raising young children, and succeeding in their jobs, they just won't make it.   It's mostly about sentimentality, remembering cars that parents, relatives, neighbors had when you were a kid that bring back fond memories.    Then, there are some who are mechanically inclined and will come in at a later age along with the first group who at 40-45 can afford the luxury of the hobby.  Oh well, that's my thoughts based on my long 58 years enjoying AACA.

Edited by Dynaflash8 (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Hate to say it, but the AACA can jump hurdles for younger members, but the regions are their grass roots and they much also be conducive.   We have two regions in our area and one is doing a great job - Southern Ohio Region (one of the older regions too) and the other I have no clue about these days, but use to go to events with friends on occasion and just plain did not have a good time. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

This is the editorial page from the latest issue of our local CCCA magazine that I edit. It may be relevant here (I hope it shows up large enough to read--if not let me know and I'd be happy to E-mail you a copy).

Editorial.thumb.jpg.a9210b12417793b4e9d1ebba07751870.jpg

Since I am a CCCA member I should have read this, but I didn't.  I'll go back and read it, though.  I can't read it here.  Thanks for posting it Matt.

2 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

This is the editorial page from the latest issue of our local CCCA magazine that I edit. It may be relevant here (I hope it shows up large enough to read--if not let me know and I'd be happy to E-mail you a copy).

Editorial.thumb.jpg.a9210b12417793b4e9d1ebba07751870.jpg

What is surprising is the number of cars that really are not used.  As you probably have noticed, there are a certain group of us that preach using cars, though we equally are a pretty small number and not too many new people have been joining us in our preaching.  Hopefully, the people we are preaching too are listening.  It is not all that hard to keep things on the road  - at least to use in your own neighborhood.  That said, as you are well aware some of us get into substantial issues via usage - especially with the stuff that has parts unobtainium issues - but we call all the friends, call in the favors, and ... -= it gets taken care of (and rewarding too = Man over Machine).   "Out of sight out of mind" comes to me as a proper expression.  And, in that usage I can tell you person after person who have become involved one way or another.  Also, the fellow we sold our Auburn 851 Sedan to bought it so he had something to drive via restoration - a good idea (especially as I know people working onp rojects for 10, 20 50 years). And, I saw a photo on Facebook this week that I really liked.

79533546_2656012997818510_2241011633226776576_o.thumb.jpg.7653a9e935f9fdf321559696cd7c17d5.jpg

• Like 1

I'm the new kid on the block here, but have been around that block a whole bunch of times. I confess I didn't wade through all 12 pages that led up to this point. There are really only two points I would like to throw out there for consideration.

1) I belong to numerous car clubs, but joined the AACA for a specific reason. That is, to enjoy authentic cars and to tour. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against modified cars and own several of them. But I truly appreciate a correctly restored or original car and the effort that goes into them. I can live in both worlds. I hope the AACA stays true to its mission.

2) The second point is one I share with all the clubs I'm in, since we all have the same trouble with attracting new members. Cars and Coffee was mentioned in an earlier post. We have one locally and I've been a couple of times. The bottom line is that if you want to attract younger people, you're going to have to offer them something. The biggest complaint I hear from the younger crowd is a version of "you're too stuffy". They don't really care about trophies. They want to show their car as-is, which in some cases isn't close to being detailed. They want to come and go as they please. They're not going to sit in lawn chairs all day long. Since I have not yet attended an AACA meet, I might be talking out of school here. Here goes:

Regardless of what club I'm in, and some are "more stuffy" than others, the typical car show format is to have rigid classes, judging, and the requirement that cars not leave the show field until judging is completed. My suggestion has been to establish some sort of exhibition class that is physically on the fringe of the show field, and where cars leaving would not disrupt the show field. That way, the younger (or impatient older) participant could leave when they chose. I'm conflicted on having re-entry after they leave, or showing up late, but that's for someone above my pay grade to ponder. 

The wife and I went to a Studebaker national meet a couple of years ago. In a separate area alongside their show field, they held a car show that was open to ALL cars. Of course, the people from both sides of the fence were checking out each other's cars. That would be a great way to get exposure to the AACA with minimal risk, it seems to me.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, JonW said:

They don't really care about trophies. They want to show their car as-is, which in some cases isn't close to being detailed. They want to come and go as they please. They're not going to sit in lawn chairs all day long. Since I have not yet attended an AACA meet, I might be talking out of school here. Here goes:

Just put me out on blacktop on a 100 degree day and tell me I am having fun.

• Like 2

Earl my friend , thank you for taking the time to write what you did - you are still a fighter!!!!

Matt, great editorial - I have stated elsewhere here on the forums about getting kids involved and being cordial to people who express interest in the old cars that we own. I hope CCCA survives , the officers and board set the pace and sense of welcome  to get people interested to join and then sustain their interest to keep their membership . It was a good club when I used to belong, many happy years .

John  - GREAT PHOTO! love it!  All phaetons should have puppies as passengers!

The very best to all for the holidays and the new year.

Walt

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Terry-There is a great story about the that 2003 FIERRI ENSO (1986 Pontiac Fiero) that won at concours-dlemons , because a couple of days before that show they took it into Monterey. It is not everyone cup of tea here but it is worth the watch.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, TerryB said:

Sometimes you can just have fun at your car show!  My 26 yr old son goes to this show for the good time it is.

https://24hoursoflemons.com/concours-dlemons-california-2019-photos-and-winners/

That would be my kind of show TerryB........ :D

4 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Watched it, it is a younger persons view of the hobby and Car Week, lots of people having fun. Bob 

FUN........the thing a lot of people don't know how to have....... :( 

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 10:21 AM, John_Mereness said:

Hate to say it, but the AACA can jump hurdles for younger members, but the regions are their grass roots and they much also be conducive.   We have two regions in our area and one is doing a great job - Southern Ohio Region (one of the older regions too) and the other I have no clue about these days, but use to go to events with friends on occasion and just plain did not have a good time. 

John,

Thanks for the KUDO's and you are always welcome to join us again with the Southern Chapter of the Ohio Region, AACA. We had a great year in 2019 with wonderful tours monthly from April to October. We already have some neat stops planned for 2020. We had good turn out of the Southern Chapter when we hosted the Ohio Region Fall Tour in Cincinnati. We had nearly 100 people from the Ohio Region's six Chapters on this two day tour that included Jeff Wylers Collection, the Tri-State War Bird Museum, a covered bridge, Opie's Horsepower Farm and antiquing in Waynesville on the 100 plus mile tour. We even had a young 20 something couple from Youngstown bring their newly acquired 1923 Model T Ford that had not run for years until a few weeks before. After a tune up a couple days before and a couple mile test drive, they towed it down to Cincinnati and did the whole 99 miles on Saturday with out issues. Once back at the hotel, it did start to leak some antifreeze but just a couple turns of a screwdriver solved that. We also had a couple 40 year olds join with their kids and this forum poster rock star Matt Harwood and family attended in their 41 Buick. We also had a neighborhood friend and wife in their 50's with a Olds 442 attend after nearly 5 plus years of inviting. They had a blast. The key is quality tours that has stops for the non carnut spouse. While most of the car fans are guys, we have a few ladies too. Quality Tours sure beat sitting around all day waiting for $10 trophy. While I say that, I do try to do a few cruise ins taking a brass car and letting kids sit in the seat and try to squeeze the bulb horn. Besides Hershey as a vendor, I usually do the Auburn meet with group of guys in our Motorhome towing up one of our cars. Plan to be there in 2020. I also may be able to bring a brass car to the Concours next year where I will let kids sit in mine after telling them not to try that with other cars with out permission.

I am always looking for new member especially younger ones. We have a neighbor kid who inherited a 1970 Ford Torino from his grandfather while high school. He got it running after rebuilding the engine himself. He did few tours then had a fender bender(not on the tour) so it sat for while he was college. He is now out of college with a good job, has the car repaired and ready to tour next year. I am also always reading these posts as we have got forum users like Junk Yard Jeff to become active. FaceBook is also a potential source of new members and many forum users like John are on that too. I am very positive about the future. There are plenty of young folks interested in cars including stuff like model t's. Just do an Ohio Model T Jamboree. You just have to push them quite a bit. As I am stepping down as our Chapter President this year and becoming a Ohio Region Trustee. It will give me more time to recruit and pester folks like you and your Dad to bring out that Auburn along with that Packard guy in Dayton, West Peterson. He has joined us in the past but is going to hear from me a bit more next year along with his buddies. 

Tom Muth

Southern Ohio Chapter President, AACA

• Like 1

A quote from Bernie 

"Along the same vein, how about the use of the term Prewar and postwar car? I can see a 25 year old sincerely asking what that means. I'm just sitting here shaking my head thinking about the answer"

Good point raised. You cant blame a 80's kid from thinking Viet Nam War? Or the even younger from "The Gulf War"?

At 64 y.o. I grew up with many WW II vets in our family as well as  WW1 aged grandparents.

My daughter was born at the end of the Viet Nam War. So if she had children they would be 20 or so. So "post war" my kid  knows better, but a lot of her age would think post 1975. The height of the Malaise Era shunned and dissed by the overwhelming majority of AACA members.

Edited by Ed Luddy
clarity (see edit history)

Means different things to different people. When I was a kid there were still some vets from the War of Northern Aggression around. Grandfather was in the first (and told tales of his Stutzs) Father was in the second and Korea. My experiences were in SEA.

The term pre-war may not mean a lot to some younger folks but there is a reason cars are identified as such.

WWII is the only war that completely halted all domestic automobile production for most of the war.

It was a very, very significant event for the entire country.

I don't think we should change the term rather we should educate the younger generations on the significance of WWII and its impacts on everyday life in the US.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, zepher said:

The term pre-war may not mean a lot to some younger folks but there is a reason cars are identified as such.

WWII is the only war that completely halted all domestic automobile production for most of the war.

I don't think we should change the term rather we should educate the younger generations on the significance of WWII and its impacts on everyday life in the US.

I totally agree, no need whatsoever to dumb down things for the new arrivals, far too many people died for the lifestyle they get to live.  Bob 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zepher said:

Very well stated!. While there were several wars after WWII none of them had the direct post war impact on the auto industry. 

Edited by John348 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

On 12/13/2019 at 1:17 AM, 1937hd45 said:

I totally agree, no need whatsoever to dumb down things for the new arrivals, far too many people died for the lifestyle they get to live.  Bob 

Sidenote: If you do not know what it was then you do not know how to keep it from happening again - there are quite a few civilized countries currently that are in ruin across the globe via whatever issue of war or civil up rest that they have had or are having recently  - it is a daily thing still (ex. I have a good friend in Venezuela and ...).

Also, I heard tale that our local 1940's day (which includes a car show) was discouraging military vehicles as uniformed participants was enough of the reminder of WWII (aka sort of ignores it was over half that decade of war matched to years upon years of issues thereafter. 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)