Making the AACA More Appealing to Young People

theterrym,

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I am sorry to hear that you were not made to feel welcomed at the club meeting. I guess I was lucky that although I was the youngest guy in my local chapter when I joined at 36 years of age, I am still there. I have lots of older and now younger friends in my local AACA chapter. You did not mention if you were talking about an AACA club or another club. Hopefully it was not an AACA group. Please let us know where you are located so we can see if we can help find you another more welcoming club in your area, or perhaps find another forum member in your area.  

In any case, I would hope that you try to give them another try. Maybe something else was going on in the club at the time that had people pre-occupied. In any case, I am sure it was not you. If you can find another opportunity to attend a meeting or some other event, I would think that showing up in your 1929 Chevrolet would get some people talking with you.

5 hours ago, theterrym said:

I accepted his invitation and went to the next meeting. I was by far the youngest person there by about 20 years which was not a problem, but I found that my presence made most people very uncomfortable. Out of around 60 people only 3 would talk to me (thats including the gentleman who invited me).  It was almost like they thought I had some disease. As you may imagine that was the last time I attended.

On a similar note some Model T/Model A club members were going on a day tour and one of their stops was about 14 miles away from me.

A friend invited me to meet with up them at that location and I did.

I drove my '19 Touring T there and waited and chatted with a couple friends who were tipped off and were also waiting.

Pretty soon the cars came rolling in, parked and everyone got out to stretch and walk around the beautiful site.

And, save for the person who invited me, that is ALL they did.

None of them seemed to look at my T (which was also the oldest car there) or speak to me.

Being the "odd man out" or noobie I didn't think the onus was on me to be the life of the party but I was complementary to a couple of car owners one of whom had a gorgeous Model A 4 door car.

But, like you, THAT was the last time for me as well.

(For the record I was 60 or 61 at the time)

• Like 2

Living history! Look how many young people do go to conventions, spend thousands of dollars on costumes and gear and pay money for the latest Iproduct. Whatever. Money is an issue for me (at 33 with a family), but I still have old cars because it's what I like. The generation gap is mostly due to the fact that growing up, we kids wanted modified Hondas (well not me, but my generation). They're starting to get to antique status now. What I think would make young folks (really the sub 40 group of young professionals more than the 20 year old college kids) is to make more living history events. Since we didn't grow up with old cars as new cars, they're just old cars. If they would live the period more, it would be another convention, only one with a historic basis and preservation of both the cars you grew up loving, and frankly the lifestyles you enjoyed as well. I would think everyone would like this more than however you want to describe the avg club meeting. Getting to the young professionals will make it more of a status to attain for the college and high school kids. It takes a little bit of maturity to want to find things to do with your mom and dad. I feel like I hear more stories of people burdened with dads old car than stories of becoming active in the club. I know we're a pretty transient society, but in my region there are only a few families with multiple generations who are active.

• Like 1

Hello, I am french and I am 23 years old, I am a very great enthusiast of america and American cars (from 1900 to 2017).
I am the owner of a buick electra 225 of 1969 :), and driving to drive every day (to go to work, ...) I have a bmw e90 of 2006 but I will like to ride in a Ford crown victoria or a buick regal gs of 2012 or chevrolet impala or chevrolet caprice, ...
Two years ago I went on holiday two weeks in los angeles and las vegas and i was happy to have rent a beautiful 2008 chrysler 200 :)

• Like 4

Leave the young folks alone, they have enough to consider without listing the items.  Car culture is not a big thing for the young as it was for us oldsters.  The AACA seems to be doing alright with the 25 year old rule and no modifieds, resto rods, jumping, lead sleds, hot rods and those groups have their own events and do not need the AACA.  My dad had no interest in autos but I have because I have.  It seems to be obvious if a new person comes to an event he or she should be made to feel welcome whether it be a church group, fundraiser or car show.  Gary

I commend Roger for thinking outside the box since bringing in younger people is a problem for the hobby that cries out for ideas, but I do not think 10 year old cars are the answer.  I think the 25 year rule is fine and to address Roger's main point I would argue that including 10 year old cars to lower the cost of entry is not necessary since eligible cars of the 1970s and 1980s are already a bargain for the fledgling hobbyist.  Indeed a full restoration is not cost feasible on them but I have always said that a well preserved 1970s original for $5000-$8000 can get a young hobbyist on the same show field as a $75,000 1963 Corvette.  And service and parts on the 1970s and 1980s models is affordable for most amateurs too, Todd C        

• Like 1

I'm 68 and still one of the younger of the groups. Most were the 40 year old's when I was 30. It is not hard to find a pompous old ass in the cliquish atmosphere of a car club. I can see a young person walking away thinking "What the hell is wrong with him."

Being older I have a pretty good idea, a lot of the kids don't.

When I was growing up my Mother liked to raise specialty Iris plants. In our front yard she had her prized plants in a well groomed bed. When they were in bloom there were always cars slowing down to look at them. One day a woman knocked at the door and told my Mother she was from the Iris Society and wondered if my Mother would like to become a member. My Mother graciously declined. At dinner she told us about it. She said she might have joined if it was a club, but, surely, not a society.

I learned a lot from her.

Bernie

• Like 2

This is going to sound absolutely horrible....but what about participation grill plaques? I know all the reasons against this, but the "snowflake" generation I'm part of likes it. From the hobby perspective, even a bad car that is declared for preservation by its owner is good. Plenty of high point cars at one time were hot rods of some sort. It would have not not take away from the winning cars that represent what is right, but a car with a badge and pledge to maintain and correct towards originality might be a little perk.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 8:06 AM, Bhigdog said:

But it IS an exclusive club both by design and intent. As a club of antique cars, their owners, and interested people, cars newer than 25 years are excluded. Why would the club try to dispel it's image of exclusivity? Without that cachet it would just be another commodity...........................Bob

Exactly.  I joined this club because it is "The Antique Automobile Club of America" not the Sometimes Antique Automobile Club of America. 

And if this club's rules and mission are watered down in an attempt to attract new members then that is the day that I will quit. 

(See the Vintage Chevrolet Club fiasco)

I disagree with all of the OP's proposals and disagree with his premises. 

Edited by Pomeroy41144 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Frantz said:

This is going to sound absolutely horrible....but what about participation grill plaques? I know all the reasons against this, but the "snowflake" generation I'm part of likes it. From the hobby perspective, even a bad car that is declared for preservation by its owner is good. Plenty of high point cars at one time were hot rods of some sort. It would have not not take away from the winning cars that represent what is right, but a car with a badge and pledge to maintain and correct towards originality might be a little perk.

Funny, yesterday I noticed an "I voted Today" sticker above the rear view mirror of my truck. I guess a lot of voters just threw theirs away the next day.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frantz said:

........what about participation grill plaques? I know all the reasons against this, but the "snowflake" generation I'm part of likes it. From the hobby perspective.......a car with a badge and pledge to maintain and correct towards originality might be a little perk.

This might be a good idea

10 minutes ago, Pomeroy41144 said:

I joined this club because it is "The Antique Automobile Club of America" not the Sometimes Antique Automobile Club of America. 

And if this club's rules and mission are watered down in an attempt to attract new members then that is the day that I will quit. 

(See the Vintage Chevrolet Club fiasco)

Pomeroy is correct too and I am also in the AACA specifically because it represents my interests (preservation and restoration of antique cars 25 years and older) and excludes what I am not interested in (street rods and newer cars) which have plenty of other outlets to join.  Older members already too often shun eligible cars of the 1970s and 1980s*--allowing 2006 models would be counterproductive the first time the new 22 year old gets the "used car" scorn and vows never to return. 

*FOOTNOTE I should say some older members shun them until it is time to go to a July car show then all of a sudden they seem OK with the 1990 Fleetwood with air and cruise rather than the 1941, Todd C

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, poci1957 said:

*FOOTNOTE I should say some older members shun them until it is time to go to a July car show then all of a sudden they seem OK with the 1990 Fleetwood with air and cruise rather than the 1941

I respectfully disagree. Some people enjoy golfing with vintage equipment, fly fishermen enjoy being in those legendary "bucket list" remote Idaho trout rivers with a 120 year old bamboo rod...... you are in this old car world fully, or you are not.

in the old time style vintage hot rod world, those people who make such excuses, are called "posers".  They are, really.

45 minutes ago, F&J said:

I respectfully disagree......you are in this old car world fully, or you are not.

.......people who make such excuses, are called "posers".  They are, really.

Ah F&J, that is true of some like you and I, but I believe the "posers" outnumber us, certainly in my area.  I am with you though, yesterday I drove to a Pontiac club meeting in my 1957, with bias ply tires, generator and tube-type radio and feeling very authentic.

• Like 2

If this mindset flows over to club events and meetings, maybe we are starting to see why young people aren't joining :rolleyes: 

Its great you want to be "authentic" but there are plenty of 25 year old cars (thus antique) that have factory AC, etc. so they are "authentic" as well.

Bob

10 minutes ago, Bob Hill said:

Its great you want to be "authentic" but there are plenty of 25 year old cars (thus antique) that have factory AC, etc. so they are "authentic" as well.

Absolutely, which goes back to my original comment that a newcomer can get a 1970s or 1980s model that is sufficiently old but still modern enough to be relatable and at an agreeable price.  I am "roughing it" with my 1957 but I wholeheartedly embrace this group and they are eligible now, Todd C

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

My Mother graciously declined. At dinner she told us about it. She said she might have joined if it was a club, but, surely, not a society.

Bernie, your mother must have been influenced by Groucho Marx, perhaps in more ways than merely refusing to join a club that would accept her as a member.

I have two younger old-car friends, now in their late 40s and early 50s, best friends from childhood, now six months away from completing, as partners, a stellar restoration of a '37 Packard 12 coupe from what may be most charitably described as a basket case. The younger has had a very original '37 Super 8 for 20 years, which was possible because he married late. The other married young, and his time and resources over the years went into raising and educating two fine sons, one with a Ph.D. and the other a Registered Nurse; finally, now, he can play with cars although the interest was there but the priority wasn't. Some 15-18 years ago on a very hot Saturday, the three of us decided to walk around the hotel parking lot used by a CCCA CARavan.  When I saw that my two young friends were wearing loud plaid shorts, tank top shirts, and sandals (cue Billy Joel's Piano Man line "when I wore a younger man's clothes"), I knew this would not go well.  I am understating it by saying that they were disappointed that they were not more warmly received by the CCCA members.  A teachable moment:  "When in Rome..."  I told them that there was no need for them to acquire lemon-yellow sans-a-belt golf slacks, white shoes and belt, and Izod polo shirts, but suggested that they consider how to better fit in and not appear to be mouth-breathers by the group they were visiting.

As mentioned in #33 above, on Sunday I attended the Blackhawk Museum's wildly popular first Sunday Cars and Coffee event (8-10 AM, but there were almost no spaces left when we arrived at 7:30), which was another record-setter with over 1,000 vehicles of ALL types.  HCCA had a club event there with 12-15 pre-1916 cars, there was a Rolls P-II, current-gen Mustang and Camaro clubs, a few military vehicles, tuner cars, old and new sports cars, etc.  We took my 1948 Jeepster, top down of course, and parked between a 1957 Chrysler 300-C coupe and an impeccable late 1980s Ferrari Testarossa with 13,500 miles. Didn't get a chance to speak with the Chrysler owner, but did have a long, friendly conversation with the Testarossa owner, apparently in his late 30's, who bought it over time from his grandfather's widow.  He had just spent $3,000 on a Pebble Beach quality professional detailing AFTER spending much more than that amount on professional rehabilitation of a Sleeping Beauty / Rip van Winkle car, long undriven but covered and garaged.  His son, about 12, seemed far more interested in my driver-quality Jeepster than in the Ferrari!  And my lady friend reported that the Jeepster got more attention from visitors than did the Ferrari, with many people telling stories of some friend who had one many years ago.  The Jeepster was more relatable.....

I've been influenced by Bernie, so am making my points via parables....

For us long time old-car people, engage in conversation while suspending your value judgments about the appearance or youth of the person interested in your car.  Often someone asking about your car may try to show some knowledge, or relate that some family member had one similar--ask questions to show interest in his/her story.  Even if they have something you may not care for, comment favorably on some aspect such as workmanship or creativity.  In a business setting, we interact with people courteously far better than in social situations.  Everyone has a story to tell, ask for the other person's story.

End of today's sermon.  

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Bob Hill said:

If this mindset flows over to club events and meetings, maybe we are starting to see why young people aren't joining :rolleyes: 

Bob

Bob,

I get your point perfectly, as I attended Hershey every year from 1971 to 1991...I recall the comments back in the early 70s when attendees said "55-57 Chevys should be allowed as they have such a VERY strong following".....then the two people who saw a niche market, started Carlisle for that reason alone! 

....and prior to that, I do recall reading the old stories of very early years of AACA, when the old brass era guys complained about the Model A's now being accepted...

Taking all that into perspective, I still can't see someone wanting to restore/show a 1998 Bonneville, or whatever.  I understand that these age cars might be what "they" remember....but....  Yes, I'm an old grump, just like those old brass guys were.  We can't identify with late models.  That is why I said that now letting in 10 year old cars at Hershey will ruin it completely.  Do you want to see the aftermath as so many current members stop wanting to go?....and then be stuck with a show field that only has 10-15 year old cars out there ?.  It would kill the whole meet, as well as AACA.  Leave well enough alone at 25 year limits... 

EDIT:  I forgot to say something important:  I do not own a late model, nor do I have a spouse that has one to use.  My newest car for 10 years now is 1970. I just ran errands with it right now.  People ask why I drive that.  I simply reply that it is the best car for my needs, and handling/size, that I have ever owned...and I save money that way, so I can afford better antique cars.  I just like old cars, that's all.

Edited by F&J (see edit history)

As I stated in an earlier post, I am adamantly opposed to removing the 25 year limit and would leave AACA if it was approved (I personally don't think that will ever happen).  While I am not a fan of many cars of the of the 80's and 90s (Corvettes as an exception), I do understand that there are folks who do and while you won't see me gathered around them at the shows, I feel they have a place on the show field if they are 25 years old and not modified. 

I have a 85 Riviera which is totally opposite of anything I usually own; however, I bought the car because it was all original and "caught my eye".  My intent with it was to get the HPOF (got it in Ocala this year) and to use it on tours (i.e. due to AC, etc).  It isn't a car that I would normally look at if at a show but there are some folks who will gravitate to it because they had one or dad had one or whatever.

When I first got my 29 Model A, I was 34 years old.  I was the "kid" at the AACA meets in Class 21 as well as the MARC.  I actually had an article about me in the MARC Restorer around the mid 90s because I was a young person who had a Model A.  I have a wide range of interests but understand some folks do not.  IMHO, that's what makes the hobby what it is.

Bob

• Like 1

I will also go "on the record" that while I am certainly willing to listen to any ideas on the issue of helping the club retain and recruit members, I think that there is a zero percent chance of the club's board of directors approving any type of program involving welcoming 10 year old cars into participation in club events. We still have some members who don't like that the club accepts 25 year old cars. I think that the 25 year rule is one of the things that makes AACA a successful club. It was the right decision and the club's membership numbers have not dwindled like many other clubs.  

I joined the club in my 30s. Most people don't join the club that young. Most people join the club in their 40s, 50s and 60s. It is much more common to have enough disposable income to be able to afford an antique car, storage space, and other hobby expenses at that age. It has always been true and I don't expect to see that change. We DO have to be welcoming to those few younger members who show interest in the hobby. When I joined, I was treated well by the older members when I first showed up. I am still here two decades later. I try to treat everybody who shows an interest in the club well. It does not come naturally. It is a learned behavior. I am not a "social butterfly", but I do go out of my way to try to be welcoming to potential new members. I also do my best to help expose children and other young people to the hobby. We probably have little idea how we influence the future with that. Years ago when I was running a cub scout pack, I made sure that the cub scouts got exposed to old cars. They got a chance to see a Model A Ford up close and personal. I do know of one of those cub scouts who is now involved in the antique car hobby. He is not an AACA member yet but he is active in the local VW club.

Our chapter does a display and demonstration every year for the 5th graders at a local church run private school. Those 5th graders study about early automotive manufacturing before the demonstration and have lots of questions about the cars. They take notes and seem to really enjoy the presentation. I feel confident that some of those young people may be potential future AACA members, but it is probably going to be many years down the road. 

Our local cars and coffee event attracts hundreds of cars once a month. Our local AACA chapter's particpants at that event are exposing lots of younger people to antique cars. This is an excellent opportunity to give the local mostly younger "car guys" and "car gals" a chance to learn about older antique cars than those that they may be familiar with. This type of event is very common in many towns. If you do an online search for local "cars and coffee" events, you will probably find a facebook page or some other online information. I urge other local AACA clubs to partipate in these events. It is an excellent outreach opportunity for potential future AACA members.    

How young are you talking Victoria? I'm 33 and talk with my peers. Most of them have delusions of the cost, or just not enough space. The biggest unspoken part is I don't believe they see it as leading to an activity they want to spend their limited time on. IMO it's the activities that we do with our old cars that need the biggest face lift, the other problems sort themselves out through determination.

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)
  • Like 1

20 and 30 year olds are important to the next generation of the hobby I'd say.

As far as cost, do very many have mechanics skills and tools or do they want to buy a driver and pay for repairs? I'm curious how many in this age group can perform the work and have the space/tools to do it? 

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, victorialynn2 said:

Just a thought, but I'd be interested to know if anyone ever had this conversation with a younger person. If so, what do they say?

That would just muddy things up and they are really too young to know "the big picture".

When I was a kid and hanging around car places; shops and junk yards, the old men were mean. Working with my Grandfather was work learning, but hardly what I would call nurturing. They would reach out with their gnarly old fingers and try to pinch you or squeeze your hand hard if they shook it on rare occasions "to test how tough you were". I really learned to dislike them as a group. And was very selective bout warming up to any.

When I started working at a job with skills, I found them to be secretive and unwilling to share work knowledge for fear of competition for their jobs. I remember that stuff because time passes fast and I have always taken time for awareness of myself and how I am affecting those around me. I pay attention to those aging habits that people slide into and stay aware enough to avoid many of them.

I was lucky to have computers become a part of my every day work life in 1974. It helped me work with young people and a few weeks ago I was able to have a good conversation with my network administrator nephew, then go into the living room and sit with his brother, a world traveled medical process welder about the new MIG welder I want.

From 1984 until 1999 I taught an apprenticeship program two nights a week with young adults, no children, nut working young people, eager to learn. I saw how my association with them helped me think younger than my peers at work whom were counting down the days to retirement.

Bottom line, I am aware of what old men do and I "will not go gentle". I have always loved the cars and I like the feel of a lot of power smooth and quiet at the command of my foot.

Sometimes the people get in the way of enjoying a car. Didn't someone once write "An old man is an island"?

Bernie

• Like 1

As far as mechanical skills go, no. But... there is a tremendous advantage my generation has. Youtube.

My own dad never did anything other than change the oil growing up. Growing up I watched a ton of the history channel (before it was all about aliens on Thanksgiving) and that gave me an enjoyment of history. I also like utility in my tools and vehicles. El Caminos were awesome and then I discovered the AMC Eagle. That lead me to finding out who AMC was. So between AMC no longer being in business by the late 90s and my disgust with Subaru claiming "worlds first sport utility wagon" is really how I got the bug and a youthful belief that the best in automobiles had already come and gone. Prior to driving I always had a soft spot for Beetles and I did try to buy a rusty '58 Chieftain at 16 (which lead to an owner very angry I knew the car was there, but I had grown up spying it from my school bus over the brush), so I guess I always liked older stuff but it was definitely the AMC and anti Subaru feelings that got me stuck in my ways.

So when looking for my first car/pile of junk I said AMC Eagle or El Camino, whichever I found first I'd be loyal to. Got a 84 Eagle for $300. I limped it home and while that particular car didn't outlive my moms patience with the use of her garage space, it caused me to get involved in my first internet forum (the now defunct AMC Eagles Nest) and a few helpful neighbors lent me some tools. But it's the modern youtube that really means anyone can pretty much watch any job prior to getting involved. Forums are huge yet too for getting help and answers. I consider myself a pretty dangerous shade tree mechanic and have my own shop now to tinker in, all because of the internet and really very little personal help. My collection of projects is a '54 Customline, a 65 Marlin (likely drag car, solid body, but everything is shot and I'd rather save her as a body than part her out), 68 Javelin, 79 F250 (in use as a farm truck), 82 Rampage, and a 94 Mustang I'm hot rodding (sorry AACA!) The Javelin was most expensive at $2500 and I am in the process of learning a hard nearly 10 year lesson about paying friends to do work for you. So while my progress on the others are slow, I'm learning as I go and frankly nothing I have is getting more common (or more valuable).

So for me personally, the internet is a huge huge resource, and my interest in history really spurred me on. Really when I was young I was all about muscle cars. Now, the older the better. I find the older stuff to have greater intention in design that appeals to me, and by older I mean pre-war. I've just not found the right cheap project at the same time I had a few bucks to spend on it. I do have some of a '37 Chevy 1 1/2 ton truck, but I've come to accept that one is too far gone.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

Just a thought, but I'd be interested to know if anyone ever had this conversation with a younger person. If so, what do they say?

what do you want to know?

None of my friends are into really old cars (outside of finding it interesting) but plenty are into the more modern stuff so give it time and they will start to fall into the right age bracket. I'm fortunate that I've had a reasonably successful career (so far) that has allowed me to do lots of things and can afford hobbies like the cadillac - plenty of people my age graduated in the GFC and have never had a particularly high paying job.

The other thing I've found with things here in Australia is that you'll go to events and people aren't intentionally rude but they obviously prefer talking to people that they've known for 25+ years. The other problem with a lot of the clubs that I looked at a) politics that people who haven't been involved in the club for 30 years don't care about (It gets old fast reading minutes where half of them are talking about something ethyl and jim did 10 years ago that someone decided to take as a personal slight) B) events are often either going to the exact same place time and time again and again really boring if you haven't been there since 1972 c) unless it's a rally targetting something your vintage of vehicle they're often not practical (e.g do 300km averaging about 75km/h across hilly terrain)

• Like 2

There was a NorCal Region Director (now deceased) of the Cadillac and LaSalle Club who, during stops on tours, would ask those with newer Cads if they'd like to ride in a pre-WW2 Cadillac if their companion could drive the newer ('60s-70s) Cadillac. A surprising number of those who accepted his invitations got hooked on the pre-war experience and added a pre-war Cadillac to their collection.  It's about EXPOSURE.

I have a nephew from Indiana, now about 35 and living in Virginia, who was very interested in my Pierces 20 years ago.  He'd come out for a month at a time during the summer.  In fact, when he had just received his learner's permit at 15-1/2, he drove my 1925 Pierce (with an adult licensed driver riding with him) 912 miles one way to Washington State for the 1998 PAS Meet, three days of driving.  He was totally thrilled with the experience.  He visited with his girl friend last summer and I let him drive the 1918, and he was shifting that crash box well within three minutes.  He told me that he re-experienced the thrill of almost 20 years ago.  He's been busy getting two bachelor's degrees and is working on his second master's while working for a defense contractor.  Although life is getting in his way now, I'm sure he'll be back in the game in a few years, and I hope I'm here to see it.

For you parents and grandparents (I'm neither):  When he was 15-1/2, I entered a Pierce in his name in a local concours, to be judged.  I told him we have a full day of cleanup and detailing to do, and that I'd do the dirty undercarriage work, he could do the topside, but I would stop working when he stopped working.  Typical teenager, he worked for 10 minutes and wanted to take a 50-minute break.  I stopped working.  Told him the car is shown in HIS name, and it would be his shame if the car was not presented properly.  He did the job, and that 15-year-old restoration placed 2nd to a fresh restoration.  he also had to do the work for the technical judging, and I saw his knees knocking!  :-)  Last summer he refreshed my memory of that day, and thanked me for the life lesson.  And that made MY day!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Frantz said:

As far as mechanical skills go, no. But... there is a tremendous advantage my generation has. Youtube.

^^^  This !

We were working totally blind back in the 60s-70s.  Had to wait till Hershey show each year to see what part fit where, and what it even looks like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

I offered to have our church's youth group come over and work on my 49 Ford F3 pickup. I was willing to show them how and let them weld, do body work, rebuild the flat head engine, brakes, electrical basically all of a frame off restoration. I even offered pizza and soft drinks and they could play their music. They just had to be willing to show up if they said yes and complete that part of the project they started. I would supply all of the tools and parts/materials. Not one took me up on it. When I asked why not they said "why, we have our parents old SUV to drive". "We don't have to know how to fix anything, we either take it to be fixed or buy a new one". 

Its just a throwaway world and I think most of the parents of today's teenagers were the same way. I'm sure most of you had a job as a teen and did not have a 3 or 4 year old car given to you.  Heck a phone today cost more than my first two cars combined, I can't imagine any young person even looking at one of those cars. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Grimy said:

There was a NorCal Region Director (now deceased) of the Cadillac and LaSalle Club who, during stops on tours, would ask those with newer Cads if they'd like to ride in a pre-WW2 Cadillac...

Good idea!  Sharing the EXPERIENCE makes memories.

Last year, at our AACA region picnic, we had 2 Amphicars

(amphibious cars) and gave everyone rides in the lake,

driving down the boat ramp and directly into the water.

They attracted a lot of attention--so much that even kids

we didn't know got rides!  You can bet they will remember

the fun that those cars gave them, for many years.

Car club 2016 picnic (10).JPG

Car club 2016 picnic (14).JPG

• Like 4

Part of the problem today is all the cars all look alike, they seldom need work, and when they do, other than brakes and oil you can't do anything without an electrical degree.

Back in the day my old man was always under the hood or the car because something always needed fixing, greasing or adjusting. Unless you were rich or a single women, and no one in our neighborhood was, YOU did what needed to be done. And there was ALWAYS something that needed doing. Front bearings to be greased, brakes and clutch adjusted, tires rotated, muffler patched until you could afford the $4 for a new one, chassis to be greased ( about 25 fittings ), points, plugs. Why was the damn thing pinging again? Was it that cheap gas at the Esso station or is it out time?

"Ok son. You jog the starter until it stops on the top of the dist cam, I'll yell when". "GOD DAMN IT NOT SO FAST. Just jog it for Christ's sake." "OK, OK, Good job." "Where the Hell is my .015 feeler gauge?" "Were you playing with my tools" ?  ( I likely was. )  I lost more of the old mans tools than I care to admit but he never locked the box to keep me out.

Me and all my buddies were brought up helping to keep the family P.O.S. running. It was a way of life and we knew of no other. That skill and mind set carried several generations through a life time of relying on and doing for themselves. Not just cars but on the job, in the fields and even in war.

Sadly, I see the last couple of generations losing that "can do" attitude and having it replaced with a "help me, I cant" attitude.

I see little hope in having a future robust club of old car type gear heads. It's just not in the genes.....................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I think I am old....

As a child in the very late 1950s, one game my neighbor friend and I did:

We lived on a straight state road.  There were dips to see a car on the farthest rise, then disappear till the closer rise.  We took turns guessing the car brand from the first rise or lose points if it took the second rise to guess it right.  That went on for part of that summer, till boredom set in.

Then one of us said "let's identify the car brand by only engine and exhaust noise with eyes shut".  That was more fun, ....you older car lovers know those sounds, right?  Chevy 6, Buick straight 8, Ford flathead 8...etc

He now still owns a local Napa store, for 25+years.

Edited by F&J (see edit history)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, F&J said:

Then one of us said "let's identify the car brand by only engine and exhaust noise with eyes shut".  That was more fun, ....you older car lovers know those sounds, right?  Chevy 6, Buick straight 8, Ford flathead 8...etc

And you could tell the Buicks by the rattling shock links....

• Like 1

This has been a lively discussion and I hope it continues for awhile.

I won't tilt at windmills.  My proposal that the AACA create a Student class and allow more recent car models into that class has little support, so I will withdraw my proposal.

Please remember that the opinions I expressed are mine alone, and do not reflect the opinions of the AACA nor its membership.  The last thing I want is for a rumor to circulate, that the AACA is considering altering its car-age policy.

Early in this discussion, F&J suggested that I grow a pear.  Unfortunately, I am even worse at gardening than I am at turning wrenches, but I do appreciate the advice.

• Like 2