LED lighting for 1965 Rivieras and later

RivNut

The guy doing the video shows a '65 Riviera that they've equipped with LED lighting and says that they have kits for later models as well.  I would imagine that everything except the tail lights would work on a 63 / 64

In Jan's thread about turn signals, I've posted a video, by the same folks, on how to repair and restore classic car turn signal sockets and wiring

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Here's something from a different company for the 63/64 guys.  It's a replacement board with LED's in it.  

http://www.easyperformance.com/products/product-detail/id/EPF-CST10-RIV63/name/1963-riviera-sequential-tail-lights

Here's a YouTube video showing the different effects that are possible.  The title of the video says "1963" but we all know that this is a 64 tail light.

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

The guy doing the video shows a '65 Riviera that they've equipped with LED lighting and says that they have kits for later models as well.  I would imagine that everything except the tail lights would work on a 63 / 64

In Jan's thread about turn signals, I've posted a video, by the same folks, on how to repair and restore classic car turn signal sockets and wiring

Aviailable in GREEN, RED, WHITE, and BLUE colors. Colors other than BLUE require removal of gauge lenses inside of gauge housing. This is from the mustang project website. Why would the blue be different? I have a blue car, but not sure I want blue gauges.

53 minutes ago, steelman said:

Aviailable in GREEN, RED, WHITE, and BLUE colors. Colors other than BLUE require removal of gauge lenses inside of gauge housing. This is from the mustang project website. Why would the blue be different? I have a blue car, but not sure I want blue gauges.

I've got a blue interior as well.  I tried blue lights once.  I don't have them any more. ;)

I'm going to go LED on my Riv. I added sequential turn signal tail lights on my mustang, and I love them. Being behind old cars in traffic, the tail lights are far too dim. I got worried about being rear-ended.

I really like the sequential lights for the Riv, other than the red dots driving lights.

Here's a site that tells you what led bulbs replace your old ones: https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1964-buick-riviera?make=14&model=1380&year=1964

26 minutes ago, jsgun said:

I'm going to go LED on my Riv. I added sequential turn signal tail lights on my mustang, and I love them. Being behind old cars in traffic, the tail lights are far too dim. I got worried about being rear-ended.

I really like the sequential lights for the Riv, other than the red dots driving lights.

Here's a site that tells you what led bulbs replace your old ones: https://www.superbrightleds.com/vehicle/1964-buick-riviera?make=14&model=1380&year=1964

I did the same on my Mach 1.  I like the sequential effect and the brake lights are super bright (the same reasons as you for getting them), but I do wish that the driving lights weren't so "digital" looking.  But, it's worth the trade off.

11 minutes ago, Black River said:

I did the same on my Mach 1.  I like the sequential effect and the brake lights are super bright (the same reasons as you for getting them), but I do wish that the driving lights weren't so "digital" looking.  But, it's worth the trade off.

I've been looking at diffusion panels, used for indoor lighting. Some modern cars are using them too. It scatters and re-patterns the light, so you don't just see those little red dots. There's also OLED strips and panels, that are basically a solid bar of light. Really dramatic.

I saw what I think was a new Jag with some really nice patterns on the tail lights. I really like the "hollow" style that's popular now, where it's just a ring of light around the edge of the lens. Looks really good! I think it's totally doable on a Riv, by running a strip around the edge. One thought was using one of those, inside an infinity mirror light.

17 hours ago, RivNut said:

Thank you Ed, this is a very interesting contribution...
I converted all the lights of my 65 to LEDs few month ago (looks great besides...). But it wasn't easy to get all these bulb together and I wish, I had seen this vid and products as kits from Mustang Project a bit earlier! :blink:
Cool stuff in deed! :lol:   

• 2 years later...

I posted about my installation of Mustang Project LED programmed tail light bulbs and their flasher unit in my 1968 Riviera. I converted my two flashing tail lights on each side to three on each side with the addition of a two wire light socket in the center light position of my tail lights.

See post below:

Gents, I put LED’s in 63 Riviera tail lights in hopes people behind could see me better. The LED’s in my tail lights stopped working. I spent to much time checking the lights out with no satisfaction.

A fellow on YouTube showed why the LED’s in vintage cars tail lights short themselves out.

Edited by Turbinator (see edit history)

31 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Gents, I put LED’s in 63 Riviera tail lights in hopes people behind could see me better. The LED’s in my tail lights stopped working. I spent to much time checking the lights out with no satisfaction.

A fellow on YouTube showed why the LED’s in vintage cars tail lights short themselves out.

Interesting. I installed LEDs from superbrightleds 2 years ago and I do drive a lot. So far so god. Could you post a link to the YouTube info?

BTW I also bought a flasher for LED. Search for 372451495059 on EBay.

7 hours ago, RockinRiviDad said:

can u please share the YouTube link or at least tell us what the fellow “showed” u?

Rockin’ Daddy, Since I cant figure out how to get the YouTube copied and pasted to this site I can look up the title of the YouTube and send that back. Let me get it.

Turbinator

Seems that his title is misleading.  It is not that an 1157 LED won't work; it is that this specific LED won't work due to its internal circuity.  It seems similar to an issue which was discussed earlier re LED turn signals on a pre-war Buick.  The solution is simple: buy better LEDs.

Edited by KongaMan (see edit history)
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Turbinator said:

How do you determine better LEDs?

Buy and try; there are no specs which show low budget design (which is the issue here; the 1157 is a dual-circuit bulb, but they're cutting corners by making some of the individual LEDs do double duty).

I would like to purchase a LED rear tail kit and the mustang site that is suggested cost about $250 for 4 bulbs and a flasher.  Is this about the same cost from other suppliers?  Or is there another way to do it with a different flasher?  I appreciate any suggestions.

13 hours ago, KongaMan said:

Buy and try; there are no specs which show low budget design (which is the issue here; the 1157 is a dual-circuit bulb, but they're cutting corners by making some of the individual LEDs do double duty).

I read about studies regarding specific specifications of LED’s. To date the manufacturers have not concluded what specifications to publish regarding reliability of the LED. The LED’s I’ve put in the cabin of my 63 are performing so I can see better day and night. I’ve switched to the 1157 incandescent bulb in the tail lights and all is well. I thought $3.50 each for an 1157 LED was enough to get a good light. I was wrong.

Turbinator

On 10/13/2019 at 5:22 PM, KongaMan said:

Buy and try is a way to determine what works or does not work. The incandescent 1157’s I reinstalled work fine. Personally, I find it trying to fiddle with a maybe product. A more expensive LED does not sell me on reliability. Using the tried and true is sometimes is good as it is going to be.

Can anyone confirm the exterior front signal, parking, and rear brake/running lights for a 64?  I’ve looked a few places and get different results at each place.

And while I’m at it, a list for interior replacements?  I know most of the courtesy lights are 90s.

82098165-D3FF-457E-95D3-A038C516859D.png

• 9 months later...
On 10/15/2019 at 11:07 PM, RockinRiviDad said:

I spent $20 on four 1157 LED bulbs from that previously mentioned website superbrightLED (I think that was the name of the site)…$22 on an electronic flasher & they look amazing. Cali traffic here I come Haha

E80A7F82-B0FB-4AE8-989D-86BDCB4C8836.thumb.jpeg.87aa94066395be639115e27e06569e31.jpeg

hey can you post what exactly you had to add besides the bulbs to get the system to work? Maybe photos of where you wired these things in? Appreciated. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2019 at 7:16 PM, anestech* said:

I kinda dig this for a restomod style car.  Not sure I would on a 63-64 though, but I would love to see how they look.

408AF429-1048-407D-A73E-C411833FF1A0.jpeg

I bought the same headlight for a motorcycle. One headlight costs about $30 including p&p on Aliexpress

The led lighting is very powerful, and they have a lot of different models, some including angeleyes or turn signal

They are 7" standard size

image.png.00fb6a67c451eb9fa347c4162e013dc0.png

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Siddy Fo said:

hey can you post what exactly you had to add besides the bulbs to get the system to work? Maybe photos of where you wired these things in? Appreciated. 

Other than the LED bulbs & the new electronic flasher (which looks the same as the stock flasher) I didn’t have to “add” or “rewire” anything. It was “plug & play” as they say

• Like 3

On 5/4/2017 at 5:03 PM, KongaMan said:

I've got a blue interior as well.  I tried blue lights once.  I don't have them any more. ;)

Had you installed the blue lights inside white painted wheel wells you would have something there. Put some clamps on your coil springs and you are ready cruise LA.

Konga Man, went back to incandescent 1157 with solid bulb socket ground and you can see my signals from your house.