Question about 1934 Airman Club Sedan

James-Wahl Motors

Who is credited with the design of the 1934 Airman 6-cylinder Club Sedan? I read Ray Dietrich did some designs for them, but he would have been at Chrysler by then. Also saw an article that said Ralph Roberts/LeBaron did the 12-cylinder Airman. It seems kind of hard to find comprehensive info on these cars! Even the Standard Catalog of American Cars has less detail on Franklins than other makes. Thanks!

There was no 12 cylinder Airman; there was the Franklin twelve and the 6 cylinder Airman. For the most recent and most comprehensive information on the Franklin twelve go to The Old Motor site and read the article Mike Lamm did a little while ago that I supplied most of the period illustrations etc for.

The 1934 Franklin Airman cars had bodies that were modified at the factory from the 1933 Airman series 16b cars that were left over, same bodies that were used for the 1932 series 16a Franklin Airman. . The 1934 Airman series 19 used the same hood front/shell as the Franklin twelve, but not the same hood .

The Walker body Company of Mass. supplied Franklin enclosed bodies from at least 1930 thru 1933, Walker ceased to exist when Franklin stopped their orders as they were their main customer. As mentioned the 1934 series 19 Airman cars used the modified earlier sedan coachwork that first appeared in 1932 on the series 16 a. the club sedans for 1932 and 1933 had a separate trunk, mounted close to the body but were on a trunk rack , the 1934 with its form fitted trunk as far as I am able to find out was adapted by the factory for the final 1934 styling. Ray Dietrich had nothing to do with this.