Random hose...

Crazy4cruz

So I spent my day working on my 65.  Got all of my HVAC vacuum lines ID'd and correctly re-installed and got new upper and lower diaphragms installed as well.  My question is regarding this hose that comes out of the firewall right next to the upper diaphragm arm.  Any thoughts on what this is or where it should be going is greatly appreciated.

Hose.jpg

So I went out to check point of origin and answered my own question.  It's for the trunk release lever inside the glove box.  So then the question is given that the original trunk release has been removed it's safe to assume this line is not needed. Yes?

Consider putting back in the remote trunk release. They are a great option as you don't even need a key. There are enough around at reasonable prices. BTW you may need the support bracket too if that has gone.

And for my two bobs worth, paint one set of wire wheel covers green, the other two black and pop them on ( best if same colour on one side of car?) 

Then after a while you can work out which looks best, or leave me that way! You only ever see one side at once?

Rodney

Brilliant solution Rodney!   Q. at optimum performance, how long should a vacuum canister hold enough nothing to operate the trunk release.? I want to install one, but I don't open the trunk that often, so will I have to start the engine to use the remote?      Drew

16 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Consider putting back in the remote trunk release. They are a great option as you don't even need a key. There are enough around at reasonable prices. BTW you may need the support bracket too if that has gone.

And for my two bobs worth, paint one set of wire wheel covers green, the other two black and pop them on ( best if same colour on one side of car?) 

Then after a while you can work out which looks best, or leave me that way! You only ever see one side at once?

Rodney

It was gone when I bought the car.  Previous owner installed an electronic trunk release.  What I would like to figure out someday is if I could rig the trunk release in the glove box to activate the electronic release.  That would be cool.

4 hours ago, RIVNIK said:

Brilliant solution Rodney!   Q. at optimum performance, how long should a vacuum canister hold enough nothing to operate the trunk release.? I want to install one, but I don't open the trunk that often, so will I have to start the engine to use the remote?      Drew

I have gone months without running and still have vacuum to open the trunk without starting the motor

Drew,

Mine has lasted for ages on my 63 without even running the motor. Works every time too! 

In fact it was installed while distributor was out so motor wasn't even running, but it still worked perfectly from day one!?????

FYI the 63/64 unit create their own nothing (vacuum) when you pull the knob, but it sounds like 65 may have to have manifold vacuum stored for it to work. Perhaps those with 65s could confirm this?

cheers

Rodney

2 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Drew,

Mine has lasted for ages on my 63 without even running the motor. Works every time too! 

In fact it was installed while distributor was out so motor wasn't even running, but it still worked perfectly from day one!?????

FYI the 63/64 unit create their own nothing (vacuum) when you pull the knob, but it sounds like 65 may have to have manifold vacuum stored for it to work. Perhaps those with 65s could confirm this?

cheers

Rodney

Correct. In `65 Buick downsized the "control" in the glovebox by mounting the vacuum source in the engine compartment.

Tom