Hint about wire wheel powder coating....

keiser31

Just a little hint about powder coating wire wheels. Make certain that if the wheel is hung with a wire hanger around the inner rim where the rubber band goes, to be careful. When the wire hanger is removed, it sometimes leaves a jagged edge of powder coating paint. This may act as a poker to flatten your tube. It took me three flat tires on my front right tire to figure it out. The paint was poking right through the rubber band on the rim and jabbing the tube. File those edges down prior to mounting the tire and tube.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Another hint, there needs to be no paint nor powder coating where the lug nuts meet the wheel surface.  Snug nuts against paint, the paint (or powder coat) will chip, the lug nut will loosen.

I was driving a freshly restored Model A to my house to put an interior in it, car had about 100 "test" miles after restoration.  At about 40 MPH the left rear wheel came off and passed me, no warning, just THUNK and watch the wheel go by.  Too much paint under lug nuts, they all came off. 

I would have thought there'd be a warning, some vibration or such, but there wasn't........

Guest Skyking
1 hour ago, trimacar said:

Another hint, there needs to be no paint nor powder coating where the lug nuts meet the wheel surface.  Snug nuts against paint, the paint (or powder coat) will chip, the lug nut will loosen.

I was driving a freshly restored Model A to my house to put an interior in it, car had about 100 "test" miles after restoration.  At about 40 MPH the left rear wheel came off and passed me, no warning, just THUNK and watch the wheel go by.  Too much paint under lug nuts, they all came off. 

I would have thought there'd be a warning, some vibration or such, but there wasn't........

How did the factory overcome this?  They painted that area.

The factory didn't use high build primers and 3+ wet coats or more for base/clear to make the wheels better than new.    I don't think they used any primer on some of them.  Our 42' cadillac is original and they appear to have a one step paint on the wheels.

I know John Deere never used primer on the two cylinder tractors.    

I usually run a countersink bit in my drill to clean the lug area.  Also try to keep the paint thickness to a minimum on the back hub area.  

6 hours ago, ALF1920 said:

when I was looking at painting my wheels for my 1933 Franklin, the man advised against powder coating them due to being in direct sunlight quite a bit and fading.

Guess I'll have to change my view on powder coating again. Up till know I've thought its only practical use was metal patio furniture, but if that is going to fade what good is it? Bob

16 hours ago, ALF1920 said:

when I was looking at painting my wheels for my 1933 Franklin, the man advised against powder coating them due to being in direct sunlight quite a bit and fading.

I haven't heard that one.  The powders should have uv protection.   I wouldn't let that sway me as a lot of park benches and such that sit outside year around are powdercoated.  Antique cars sit out how many hours out of a year?