Steering problem what do you think?

I have a 1976 Oldsmobile Delta 88 with 350 v-8. I recently replaced a seized water pump fan clutch and all the belts now when i turn the steering wheel left or right it makes a sort of high pitched whine it does it when the car is stoped and when it is moving the car seems to handle fine but i want to figure out what it is any ideas? i checked the powersteering fluid and it looks fine and im pretty shure the belt is tensioned fined (has 1/2 inch dip when you push on it)any suggestions will help thanks. PS. i forgot to say that there is a indicator light on its the upper left hand one in the cluster i dont know what it is for because the labels are gone if you know what this is please post.<p>[ 03-22-2002: Message edited by: James Cowser ]

Some noise is normal in a power steering system. If fluid level is normal and it still howls, there may be air trapped in the system. With engine idling, turn the steering wheel hard against the left and right stops for a few seconds. Repeat this a few times, then check the fluid level and add if needed. If it squawks loud when turned hard right or left the belt is loose. You'll have to loosen the pivot bolt underneath the car and the adjuster bolt behind the PS pump pulley. Pulley should have some access holes to get a socket on the adjuster bolt. You'll see a tab on the water pump side of the PS pump bracket. Use a stout screwdriver or skinny pry bar between the pump snout and this tab and pry the pump out till belt is tight as you want it, just don't pry on the pump reservoir housing. It'll bend and the pump element will hit it and raise all kinds of fuss, if it doesn't lock the pump.<P>The warning lamp is the GEN lamp. On a 76, one belt goes around both PS pump only and the second one goes around PS and alternator. If it's loose, alt won't charge and the light will come on. Alt bearing seizing may be the noise you're hearing.<P>Instrument cluster warning lamps:<P>Left of shift quadrant, top to bottom:<P>GEN OIL<BR>BRAKE<BR>LIGHTS ON (warning package cars only)<BR>AIR CUSHION (airbag cars only)<P>Right of shift quadrant, top to bottom:<P>FASTEN SEAT BELTS<BR>HOT (flashes, uses special bulb) LOW FUEL<BR>EXTERNAL LAMP (lamp monitor cars only)<BR>LOW COOLANT (warning package only)<P>Hope it helps. GW

Thanks for the help ill try turning the wheel hard but im pretty shure the belts are fine i just replaced them and tightened them. im pretty shure the fluid is fine but ill give it a second look ill post again with my findings tommorow ohh and thanks alot for the warning lights ill have to make my own labels for them