Original 1924 Citroen French Speedster

Vonlemberg

Few weeks ago I purchased here in California this original 1920s French Citroen Speedster.
Its titled as 1921, but I think its more like 1924 year of production based on serial #24938

This speedster is based on Citroen model 5HP type 3C.

Front end is pretty much unchanged factory except the “apron” at the front bottom, but from the cowl – back its homemade boat tail speedster with trunk opening on top.

Windshield was modified and cut from original frame. I have one factory original to compare to side by side. – and it is quite clever speedster conversion.

From what I can tell it has an original cast iron / magnesium pan 800cc engine with flat head.
improved period carburetor, improved cooling ventilator (aluminum with magnesium alloy frame)

Dashboard has been completely remanufactured and its nothing like I would leave factory.
This car came with box of old documents including an original vehicle key and chassis plate number.

I am still researching documents and translating box of papers that it came with but from what I can tell with certainty is following: History of the car is following:

This automobile has been purchased by Swiss brothers 1954 Heinrich & Peter Rudin, Basel Switzerland
When they got that original speedster it was in tough shape. Seems like it was racer in 1920s but by the time it got the 1950s’ it was a rust bucket. Photos of the rusted wrack can be see below.
it took them few years to restore the car back to original racing condition with few minor modifications: side bottom panels were removed, short step running bards were added and large Marchal heal lights were introduced.
This car has been imported by the same family member Mike Rodin to (Lakeside) San Diego, CA in early 1980 where it remained until 2011.
Car changed two more owners and in early April 2017 I became current custodian of this vehicle.
I have to give a BIG-BIG Thank You to previous automobile owner Mark B. (Alamo, CA) who could have sold this car overseas for way-way much more money, but chose me to be next custodian of this vehicle.
My plan is to do mechanical restoration on the car and keep cosmetics as is for the next 2-3 years.
I belong to Santa Clara Model T club and intend to do local Endurance Runs and Vintage racing cars events here in Bay Area / Monterrey.
I am contemplating whether I should restore body with nice French racing blue color down the line in about 2-3 years from now or keep it all original…. As a part of consideration would be taking front fenders off and adding side panels by removing step boards as seen on the 1950s photo when it was picked up prior first restoration….
What do you think guys and girls?
If you need more photos I can post more. I took bunch of them. There are some interesting engravings on the horn “JK TonKing, Delux”
With best regards
Nazario

0001.JPG

0002.JPG

0003.JPG

0004.JPG

0005.JPG

0006.JPG

0007.JPG

0008.JPG

• Like 1

Austin 7 specials of that ilk are very popular here for the likes of hill climbs and mud plugs (i.e. silly games - a.k.a. trials - in steep, grassy and in spots, muddy paddocks).

Comparing the old photo of the man in the car to the others, it almost looks like the rear has been stretched since back then.