WIPERS WILL NOT SHUT OFF, HELP !

HELP ! I have a great 1984 Olds 88. This car still has only 41,000 miles. I only have one problem, The wipers seem to have a mind of thier own. They dont want to start immedately when the switch is activated and when they do come on, they dont want to go off. this problem seems to be worse when the car has just been started and not run along time. After driving for awhile they usualy work fine. Also, during the time they dont want to shut off, I can stop and completely shut the car down, then restart and they will shut off. Anyone out there who has had a simular problem, please HELP. thanks Dennis Weber BCA #24134

It is probibly in your wond-or call it your switch witch is part of your turning signal switch,there is a timer in the wiper moter its self but I doubt that is it.If your windshield wash bottle is emptey it can also efect it,seems to also efect pump timing.Good luck Sorry I could not be of more help. smile.gif" border="0Greasemonkeyisme@msn.com

Have you searched for a loose wire or a wire that might have gotten grounded or shortcircuited check fuses but thats all i can think of that would cause it other than what was described before

• 2 months later...

I have got an '85 and an '82 Delta 88 with exactly the same problem... I replaced the wiper arm/cruise switch and it worked ok for a while, but started acting up again. I got another wiper motor assembley from the yard and still no fix.... If anyone finds out let me know....

within the wiper motor and transmission assembly there should be an electrical contact arrangement that allows the wipers to 'park' when the wiper sw. is turned off. It is quite possible that there is something that becomes defective with this 'park' switch arrangement. Look at the motor assembly itself and diagnose the 'park' electrical contacts. They mite go bad after hi-mileage use.