Chavis garage

On 5/7/2019 at 7:53 PM, Kosage Chavis said:

Small achievement here.  Put the electrical panels back together and mounted them back on the boards.  Blends in pretty well.20190505_133032.thumb.jpg.3f4e2925ea2e4159f1deef36b4b1c71e.jpg

I don't see anything.  J/K . You said it blended in well.  Looks great.  I get to get to my garage.  Only been 6 years since I purchased my home.     

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Did a few more things to the garage.  Trim work was done on the ceiling.  I had to be creative to cover the big gaps between the chimney and wall.  I took 2 different styles if trim and stacked them.  One style of trim was slightly modified to give it a more singular appearance.20191110_190334.thumb.jpg.ec665c017a00dbeb7189aeb270867b06.jpg20191110_190350.thumb.jpg.7143f9e52e801e55c38e91a2555ae253.jpgNext weekend, I will do trim work around the kitchen door and adjacent stairway.

• Like 3

Hey Kosage. FWIW  is this a crack in the flue for what appears to be a furnace?   I am a bit surprised you can put a furnace in a garage unless it is just heating the garage.   At any rate, it may be prudent to put a couple of portable Carbon Monoxide alarms in that room and the home,  if you haven't already done so. . 

4127657_ChavisGarage.thumb.jpg.88461457b1890b1d7bec99fe7c1fd2eb.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Hey Kosage. FWIW  is this a crack in the flue for what appears to be a furnace?   I am a bit surprised you can put a furnace in a garage unless it is just heating the garage.   At any rate, it may be prudent to put a couple of portable Carbon Monoxide alarms in that room and the home,  if you haven't already done so.

Good eyes🤓.  I have already let the company who installed our unit know about it.  Should be taken care of soon.  We already bought a few fire/carbon monoxide detectors.  When I do the doorway this weekend, I am installing it above the door.

• Like 2

Are the smoke/ fire detectors different from the CO detectors?  If so I think the smoke detectors should be located high in the room.  Double check on the CO detectors because they might need to be located lower in the room.

For everyone else, check your smoke detectors.  They have a life span on 10 years.  After 10 years they should be discarded and new ones replaced.  The little radioactive chip used to detect smoke degrades over time and becomes less effective.   This is according to the National Fire Protection Association.  The NFPA sets codes and standards for fire prevention.

https://www.cepro.com/news/nfpa_smoke_alarms_need_replacement_every_10_years/

I just replaced all of the smoke detectors in my home last year and added a couple more.  Some of the best places to put them besides in areas of bedrooms and kitchens is the laundry room/ area, basements, and by the furnace and the garage.  Dryer fires are one of the leading causes of house fires besides kitchens.

PS: and yes I am a state certified fire fighter, level 2.

• Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/12/2019 at 8:14 PM, Kosage Chavis said:

Good eyes🤓.  I have already let the company who installed our unit know about it.  Should be taken care of soon.  We already bought a few fire/carbon monoxide detectors.  When I do the doorway this weekend, I am installing it above the door.

CO detectors work.  Trust me in this!  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I need some opinions please.  Tax season is upon us and my Wife and I are talking about building a detached garage (workshop for the buick).  Money is always an issue with us.  So, we have floated the idea of doing this build in 2 phases.  First phase would be to remove a tree and lay the concrete slab.  The second phase would be for the building (accomplished next tax season).  Can this work out well?  Thank you.

14 hours ago, Kosage Chavis said:

I need some opinions please.  Tax season is upon us and my Wife and I are talking about building a detached garage (workshop for the buick).  Money is always an issue with us.  So, we have floated the idea of doing this build in 2 phases.  First phase would be to remove a tree and lay the concrete slab.  The second phase would be for the building (accomplished next tax season).  Can this work out well?  Thank you.

Money for sure is always the deciding factor.

I'm doing exactly as you are thinking taking steps at a time with what I can afford.

I put in this pad at the back of my garage this past fall and as money loosens up will put in a sectional garage door opening up access to the pad possibly this year.

IMG_5519.thumb.JPG.b61aaff6d8914b1acebd130b4aa189a8.JPG

My plan it to extend the garage to be able to park three of my antique cars there and once my Limited is mobile I can drive them out once cars are shifted out of the way. 

Will see how that plan works out given time & money.

On 2/4/2020 at 7:09 PM, Kosage Chavis said:

I got a 11k Tax increase . not bad for the money I spent... I not sure but a few years ago  it was 11.00 dollar sq foot  for a garage for the tax man..  So you can plan on 8500 more on the value on your house..

for a 24 X 34

I think it is good thing if your house is 100K now it it 109K.. Not a big deal on the taxes..

thumbnail_IMG_5194.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5066.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5117.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_5064.jpg

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

44 minutes ago, dei said:

Just curious...

Did you mean tax assessment/value increase for the "taxes to be paid" calculation?

By the way, Nice setup.

It only jumped 11k..   The house I move  out of jumped 20K,,  since I moved 3 year ago... in one year... I still  own it..

IMG_7385.JPG

Edited by nick8086 (see edit history)

On 2/4/2020 at 8:09 PM, Kosage Chavis said:

You need to ask this of your local tax department.  Your assessor should be best equiped to tell you how your plans will impact the future value of your property.  One possible concern  for the town may be the depth of the slab at the location of the future walls. Another concern for you may be if you need a permit just  to put in the slab.  Part of that could be things like required setbacks from property lines and or other structures.  Here is an example of a restriction my town throws at residents:  we are limited to no more that 45% of our property to be encumbered by structures.  You may not have that particular rule but it is just an example of what may be lurking to ruin your day.

The main reason I use Shelters of America vinyl igloos is that in my town they are considered "temporary structures", thus no tax assessment.  BTW, I've had one and/or two at a time for 12 years without town issue.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2020 at 8:09 PM, Kosage Chavis said:

You can look at this a few ways.  The outbuilding  will be great for keeping a gassy Buick(my wife does not like the gassy smell of the Buick after putting them in garage. Although the smell does dissipate quickly).  The current room you have been working on can be used for something else, like a playroom for the kids, general family room or your wife's craft room if she is into crafts.   The outbuilding will be a great hiding place when you could use a hiding place. You catch my meaning.   The outbuilding will increase the value of your property that will increase your property taxes a bit.  However, it also increases the selling price if and when you may sell down the road.       

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Today we signed a contract to get a detached garage built.  We should be breaking ground no sooner than the end of July and no later than the start of August.  Two trees are coming down this Tuesday.  Tomorrow, we will be tearing down the old shed and kid's playset.

• Like 5

Two of our trees get cut down tomorrow.  So, over this passed weekend, we needed to get rid of our shed and the kid's old playset.  Here's a couple of "before" pictures.20200606_113659.thumb.jpg.9ebee815f0b56639f3e64e1f386e2005.jpg20200606_113705.thumb.jpg.39b3bc4e64bd27be35b028e2baeab7e7.jpgChavis Family Affair.20200606_121534.thumb.jpg.74d8d4d4e844bbea7481250271f5f67f.jpg20200606_131438.thumb.jpg.8fbfc703484c5d134d9d48e19faa4a1f.jpg20200606_132839.thumb.jpg.1ae549961c827808369c36bdb52c4a17.jpg20200606_153954.thumb.jpg.e2c69b617e15f1d4c969dd9f5f00cbe4.jpg20200606_162449.thumb.jpg.5130aee2b7dc6c7ac13a30756facc865.jpgI had to take the floor joist and cut it down a bit.  The Buick is out of the carport and moved to the driveway.  The carport will serve as a temporary shed.  The floor joists was moved to the carport.  The 4 x 8 panels were still good enough to be a temporary floor.  Everything in the shed is now in the carport.  The next day, we took care of the playset.  But, not without a picture first.  20200607_132421.thumb.jpg.37bf73dae4e0e12e2337e00d0e2053d8.jpgI put this playset together when we first moved into our house.  My oldest (now 15) was 3 years old at the time.  They all grew up on this set.  Time for a new one.20200607_134415.thumb.jpg.2e1e89281c3eb130bea9d4d5234b92a6.jpg20200607_134603.thumb.jpg.e5460962756634b2bc7c007c8510a654.jpg20200607_153313.thumb.jpg.a04ac9f2d187b7360c5aa35e7187d6e7.jpgAn "after" picture, showing the cleared area, where the new garage will be built.20200607_203105.thumb.jpg.eabbeacd5ec83f8b7565cbaabf697c4b.jpgI will post how everything looks when trees are removed.

• Like 6

11 hours ago, NC-car-guy said:

Are the kids mad about their play set?

My oldest couldn't care less, but he's 15.  My two youngest seemed to take it well.  They both were excited about taking it apart and both actually did a very good job helping me.  They already know that I plan on building them a new one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

🎼It’s a family affair🎼 My how they have grown since y’all stopped by, how many years ago now? One was still in a car seat I recall. 
That is a huge tree, just curious how much is removing that going to cost. 

Mr Lamar!  How are you Friend?  I was waiting to see if someone would catch onto the family affair thing.  You are exactly right, my youngest was 2 at that time.  So, you are talking 4 years ago.  Seems longer than that though.  We paid 2000 to remove the bigger tree and 500 for the smaller one.  That also includes hauling away the wood and grinding the stumps, which should be done in a few days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, MrEarl said:

How deep and wide is stump grinding going. Will the concrete pad be over the stump hole area and if so how are you or the contractor backfilling. Is this a turn key building. 

I think they get about 18" deep and width is dependent on the size of the tree.  The tree company has a partnership with the company that's building the garage.  If more grinding is needed, the builders will have the tree company come back out to get the rest.  The slab will cover the sight  of the removed tree that was smaller.  The concrete apron will cover the sight of the bigger tree that was removed.  

The stump grinding is done and now we are just waiting for the start of construction.  I was told yesterday that construction should be starting in 2 weeks.  

Forgive me Mr Lamar, but I am not sure what "turn key" means in this case.  I can tell you that the interior will be unfinished to save money.  I will take care of this myself.  However, the garage will be ready for use when construction is complete.  

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...