Buick pictures you may or may not like

Elpad

Story goes that All American Classics in Vancouver Washington  https://allamericanclassics.com/   has leased a portion of their property out and is having to clear out the vehicles currently stored on it, therefore will be crushing literally piles of their old cars. They have always laid claim to having saved so many “classics” but I call BS to this current activity. They could have had a big ad campaign to try to sell the cars vs crushing. Hopefully I am misinformed. They call this their Buick pile

5101E483-3D2E-452A-BFD4-0D5634D90078.jpeg

689E39DA-70BF-4080-A51E-8ADEB996C664.jpeg 

• Thanks 1

NOOO I was supposed to go there in the spring to syphon some 58 to 60 feint aluminum drums and look for a trunk lid and some other things. Wow. The last PNW yard gone. The guy in Idaho is probably going to triple his already high prices. I can't believe this. 

On 1/7/2018 at 8:06 AM, MrEarl said:

They could have had a big ad campaign to try to sell the cars vs crushing. Hopefully I am misinformed. They call this their Buick pile

Around here, if you are a licensed auto dismantler you can only sell parts. Those few cars that come in complete or in restorable condition are illegal to sell.

Our state sends undercover agents around to trick yard owners into making sales of complete cars. The fines are stiff.

I would look into it a little deeper, but I just got a chance to buy George Orwell's old Buick. It is a go if the owner proves he got all the bugs out of it.

Bernie

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, RivNut said:

An additional 50 mph with the wing, and probably 30 hp from the exhaust tip that's connected to a "fart can" muffler that's producing another 75 hp.  

That's what the salesman in the parts store advised.  It was the determining factor in making the purchase.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/7/2018 at 5:06 AM, MrEarl said:

Story goes that All American Classics in Vancouver Washington  https://allamericanclassics.com/   has leased a portion of their property out and is having to clear out the vehicles currently stored on it, therefore will be crushing literally piles of their old cars. They have always laid claim to having saved so many “classics” but I call BS to this current activity. They could have had a big ad campaign to try to sell the cars vs crushing. Hopefully I am misinformed. They call this their Buick pile

5101E483-3D2E-452A-BFD4-0D5634D90078.jpeg

689E39DA-70BF-4080-A51E-8ADEB996C664.jpeg 

I live about 20 minutes from there. I used to drop by the yard after work just to walk around to see what they had. I've bought a few small parts from them. They used to have a project section where they did sell whole cars. I don't know if they still do. They also have or had a used car lot. I haven't been by there in few months.

• Like 1

600 is really small for what their inventory was. This is the sign of the end of the hobby. Vintage yards downsizing and retaining only desirable cars, pretty soon what's left on the road is all there will be. Prices keep going up because of "age", no one buys and then they junk it because it can't just be given away. The yard 20 minutes from my mom's place downsized a few years back and scrapped majority of the cars rather than put out an ad to come get them. Its really a shame. 

1 hour ago, Beemon said:

This is the sign of the end of the hobby. Vintage yards downsizing and retaining only desirable cars, pretty soon what's left on the road is all there will be.

Oh no, just adapt--like the collectors of aughts, teens, 20s, 30s and 40s cars did, even before the internet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Beemon said:

600 is really small for what their inventory was. This is the sign of the end of the hobby. Vintage yards downsizing and retaining only desirable cars, pretty soon what's left on the road is all there will be. Prices keep going up because of "age", no one buys and then they junk it because it can't just be given away. The yard 20 minutes from my mom's place downsized a few years back and scrapped majority of the cars rather than put out an ad to come get them. Its really a shame. 

You are too young to bemoan the dying memories of old men. Go out and create your own.

A secondary major in Mandarin Chinese won't hurt you, either.

Bernie

16 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Update: They are moving all these cars out and leasing the lot out to a company to store cars in, go figure!

They will keep around 600 cars in salvage. I wonder how many Buicks. 

There was another yard about a mile west of All American called Wade's. They got rid of everything over 10 years ago. I don't know what they had because I never got in their yard. I do remember a faded blue 57 Ford sedan sitting in front so I imagine they did have some old stuff. The guys working there didn't seem to pay much attention to anyone coming in to their office to ask, "may I help you". I walked out never to return. A acquaintance of mine had a similar experience and walked out too.

The huge lot remains empty to this day.

On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 11:15 PM, MrEarl said:

Update: They are moving all these cars out and leasing the lot out to a company to store cars in, go figure!

They will keep around 600 cars in salvage. I wonder how many Buicks. 

The pictures show cars with little left in useable parts.  And while I'm sure they could give parts away if they tried, how many of us would buy these parts shown?  Meantime what about the costs of real estate upkeep?  I'm sure the local town is not willing to let them skip the taxes on the property just because they have not sold enough in parts to pay the bill.  While it is a shame that another yard is lost to us, it's not hard to understand the business plan to scrape up and dump what's left and rent the space to produce some income.

• Like 1

This goes back a bit - but do any of you Pacific Northwest Fella's (specifically Vancouver, Wa.) remember "SPADY'S"?

His yard was located just south of Hazel Dell, on old Hwy 99.  Not too far from the BPA Substation called "ROSS Substation".

I used to really enjoy wandering through Spady's - they closed him out & built an apartment complex there.  What a SAD day!!

Edited by NDAGRUV
update comments. (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Sorry Elpad  , being a special owner ,  love this, think it’s beutiful , even though a mod ! ?

Hey Pilgrim not a problem, I seen some nice resto modes out there just not my taste... specially that color. Me have mix feelings and too old fashion, like all original ....perhaps some one have to start a thread for the modification category if is not already here

I think we all get a kick out of seeing what others think is "weird." Its kind of like women.  If they all looked the same, we'd get mighty bored. You have to appreciate others' tastes just like opinions.  (And as my parents taught me - just leave politics and religion out of the discussions)  ?

4 hours ago, RivNut said:

I think we all get a kick out of seeing what others think is "weird." Its kind of like women.  If they all looked the same, we'd get mighty bored. You have to appreciate others' tastes just like opinions.  (And as my parents taught me - just leave politics and religion out of the discussions)  ?

Hi RivNut , Agree , like your comparison analogy to women , my preference is brunettes , so I’m appreciating other people’s tastes, ? 

Best girlfriend was dark, didn’t work out, conversely,  I’ve been married to three blondes , maybe bored with first one , not bored with second one, let down , extremely happy with third . Thankfully although all blondes don’t look alike so your comment stands??

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)

5 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Hi RivNut , Agree , like your comparison analogy to women , my preference is brunettes , so I’m appreciating other people’s tastes, ? 

Best girlfriend was dark, didn’t work out, conversely,  I’ve been married to three blondes , maybe bored with first one , not bored with second one, let down , extremely happy with third . Thankfully although all blondes don’t look alike so your comment stands??

Thanks, but upon reflection, I guess that there's one thing about the girls in my life that is the same.  They all share the same name.  Linda Sue was my high school and college sweetheart; Linda Kay was my first wife; and I'm now married to Linda Lou, my soul mate and the love of my life.  Weird - you bet 'cha, but there're times it comes in handy (as long as I leave the middle name out.)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1