Buick pictures you may or may not like

Elpad

So, over the weekend I was juggling cars around and decided to put the Riviera in the back corner, behind the space with the scissors lift. That means backing up two car lengths while straddling the lift.

I got a little far to the right and my fender bumped the "up" button on the lift pump. Far enough to the right so only the left side of the car rose and pushed the button more.

IMG_8138.thumb.JPG.95234b46b98fec2e710e155ca82ad1fa.JPG

I jumped out about 2.5' and dashed for the circuit breakers in the electrical panel. One side was up about 3 feet or more and the car was at a 45 degree angle transversely. I was not in a mood to take a picture of that.

To lower the lift I had to get back to the release valve between the car and the wall. I kept sliding off the well waxed hood. I finally had to lay a sheet of rubber across the hood and was able to pull myself along holding the windshield wiper arm. Once in position I was able to use a piece of wood to release the valve. And the car and I came down smoothly.

The dent is from the control plate on the lift pump. It is the first time I damaged the car since I owned it. It's not too bad. It sure is quite a feeling to hear a noise you recognize and start feeling yourself rise vertically. You know what, I haven't changed much in life. The words I thought when I realized what was happening were the same two I thought when I fell off the Navy ship at 20 years old. Consistency, that's a good sign, consistency.

Bernie

Recommendation: if you have a hydraulic pump in a tight spot, turn it so the switch is 90 degrees from anything going past it. That's the position mine is in today. Grrrrrrrr.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Sorry for the damage and your potential injury.

Cars, when necessary, can be repaired - with friends it is more difficult.

11 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Talk about a freak accident!

Yeah! The button faces away from traffic now. The check went out for a replacement fender today. $200 for the fender, media blasted for an extra $70, and $115 for shipping, pretty good deal.

Since I have to take the bumper off, I have been thinking about replating it for a few years now. And I guess I could squirt the whole side of the car to get a good match. If I do that I should probably put new fur strips and channels in the door. Wouldn't want to scratch the new paint later. Well, the door gasket and roof rail weather strip could be replaced, too.

Did I ever tell you about the time I got out a little lacquer thinner to clean the engine bay wires?

004.thumb.png.c4209c2cc278fa6d759258ad6ae069c1.png

Carried way? Me, never!

Bernie

• Haha 7

If I ever started that kind of repair, I would wind up jacking up the hood ornament and restoring everything under and behind (LOL).

It seems that I never know when and where to stop.

Due to Irma's imminent visit and "Toby", the 50 being restored at the house 2 car garage, I was forced to take "Almendrón" the 54 from lower ground self storage bay to a concrete 4th floor parking building. The car was covered with layers of moving mats that were strapped to minimize any flying debris since the building is wide but have open sides....does not look good guys. Family and home already secured. Will seeIMG_2924.thumb.JPG.0990509d08262493f38928ba957196de.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2926.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

Good idea.  One thing that you might try (if you have time to go back): get a roll of pallet wrap and use that to hold the padding to the car.  Ratchet straps are good, but if the wind gets under the pads the repeated tugging could pull them out -- then you might have them and/or the straps beating against the car.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, KongaMan said:

Good idea.  One thing that you might try (if you have time to go back): get a roll of pallet wrap and use that to hold the padding to the car.  Ratchet straps are good, but if the wind gets under the pads the repeated tugging could pull them out -- then you might have them and/or the straps beating against the car.

I thought of that will try to wrapped tonight if I can get the roll

It seems like one would be taking a terrible risk just moving the car among the people the news said were panicked and near frenzied. They could have lost control.

Panicked and near frenzied was used to describe the people in this grocery store:

Hurricane-Matthew-hits-USA.jpg

I have seen people at their limits of fear in the past. This group is nearly over the edge.

I don't want to take away from the seriousness of the storm, but I really wonder if the media will out blow Irma in the end.

My accountant's name is Irma. Boy, you should have heard her blow the day she specifically defined what a corporate slush fund was. I guess Irma is a good name to pick.

Bernie

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

It seems like one would be taking a terrible risk just moving the car among the people the news said were panicked and near frenzied. They could have lost control.

Panicked and near frenzied was used to describe the people in this grocery store:

Hurricane-Matthew-hits-USA.jpg

I have seen people at their limits of fear in the past. This group is nearly over the edge.

I don't want to take away from the seriousness of the storm, but I really wonder if the media will out blow Irma in the end.

My accountant's name is Irma. Boy, you should have heard her blow the day she specifically defined what a corporate slush fund was. I guess Irma is a good name to pick.

Bernie

Frenzy? Another Publix Supermarket about 4 days ago......replaced the ratchet straps with the shrink wrap. The ratches were not tight enough because did not wanted to damage the car and indeed they were going to be bouncing all over with the wind... hope this hold

IMG_2941.JPG

IMG_2936.JPG

IMG_2937.JPG

IMG_2939.JPG

IMG_2940.JPG

• Like 6

So badly damaged that it is hard to tell the make.  The wheel wells don't look familiar for a 40-41 but the rear turn signal suggests that this used to be a beautiful 2 door convertible Buick.  This would make a great parts car today.

Buick 80.jpg

4 hours ago, kgreen said:

So badly damaged that it is hard to tell the make.  The wheel wells don't look familiar for a 40-41 but the rear turn signal suggests that this used to be a beautiful 2 door convertible Buick.  This would make a great parts car today.

Buick 80.jpg

Notice the price of "real" gas.  No 10% ethanol here.

5 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Notice the price of "real" gas.  No 10% ethanol here.

No idea when or where this picture was taken, but gas at 22.9 in 1947 equates to $2.62 today.  Gas prices have been lower than that in many parts of the country the last couple of years.

5 hours ago, kgreen said:

Buick 80.jpg

I think this is the car Jackofalltrades77 started out with! ;)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...