Buick pictures you may or may not like

Elpad

Federal regulations required this bar be added to trailers after Jane Mansfield was killed when her Buick ran under the back of a trailer and she was killed.

Image result for jayne mansfield buick

her n

Her daughter Mariska Hargity was in the back seat at the time of the accident.  If the name is not familiar to you, she is the star of Law and Order SVU

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, GARY F said:

It is called an  ICC bar

You say tomato (toe may toe), I say tomato (toe mah toe)  Same thing. Too bad the trucking industry had to wait for a tragedy to incorporate a safety item such as this.

From the website "Semitrailer.net"

>And yet, Mansfield left many marks on society that still touch our lives today, including the innovation of the underride bar, commonly known in the United States as the Mansfield bar."

"Mansfield bar or Mansfield bumper, the guards at the rear of trailers, is also known as ICC bar (named for the Interstate Commerce Commission) intended to prevent a phenomenon known as “underriding” – which is when the car collides with the trailer and goes under it."

10 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Couldn't stand myself and had to drive her. Black Friday cruise.... She vibrates and bounces like hell now. I haven't had the heart to drop the insurance or tags.

20181123_122435.jpg

I keep telling you it can be fixed...and a good chance to learn some skills to be used on one of you other projects.

Is there a local high school auto shop that would be interested in taking on the repair?  Even though it's 60+ years old, there are lots of light trucks out there that would require the same body-on-frame straightening techniques.  That would be a win-win...

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 12:43 PM, old-tank said:

I keep telling you it can be fixed...and a good chance to learn some skills to be used on one of you other projects.

@wndsofchng06 Matt, with your support, I would like to hear others ides about where one would start , and how to go about fixing your car?  To me the car has to have a bent frame, considering the pictures you posted after the accident.  So at a minimum I imagine the frame and the rear quarter and roof need straightening.  I am just wondering how someone might attempt that type of repair on a 54? 

53 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

@wndsofchng06 Matt, with your support, I would like to hear others ides about where one would start , and how to go about fixing your car?  To me the car has to have a bent frame, considering the pictures you posted after the accident.  So at a minimum I imagine the frame and the rear quarter and roof need straightening.  I am just wondering how someone might attempt that type of repair on a 54? 

Thats fine.   I finally popped the trunk this weekend. Frame is certainly bent. I now have a salvage title so if I put it back in the road (time&money) and it gets wrecked again, I'll get zero and it would be impossible to sell with salvage title other than for parts. I'll be fine hearing how it could be fixed, but it won't be.

3 hours ago, Elpad said:

9CA43DC4-3F0B-4870-A00E-523210A0D677.jpeg

That shot looks like it might be at Sinbad's on the Detroit River as the power plant in the background could be what was know as 7 Sisters, a well known visible land mark for boaters on both Lake St Clair and the Detroit River.

Some kind of custom floating boat? Gives a whole new meaning to the expression, "What a Boat."

Here's a photo of a wrecked 1927 Buick coupe towed by what appears to be another Buick, maybe a late teens or an early twenties model. Please weigh in if you can identify the tow vehicle. 

The photo is courtesy of the History Museum of Hood River County, Oregon. Local utility man Alva Day, an accomplished photographer, shot the image, probably in the city of Hood River, Oregon, sixty-four miles east of Portland, on the Columbia River.

Ouch!  I wonder about what happened to the engine in the coupe.

1927_Buick.jpg

Edited by BuickBob49 (see edit history)
  • Like 1