Fluid Coupling/Converter/Turbine

avgwarhawk

That was a great video!  Thanks for posting it.  I have read the manual several times but never really understood how the torque converter worked.  Now I'll be thinking about all that everytime I drive. :D

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

That was a great video!  Thanks for posting it.  I have read the manual several times but never really understood how the torque converter worked.  Now I'll be thinking about all that everytime I drive. :D

Same for me sir.  I kind of had an idea but never really delved into it.        Fluid coupling is ingenious.  There are some folks that not only think outside the box but also engineer the box.   One of these "outside the box" is the Dynaflow.   

Before the microprocessor base variable frequency drives for electric motor, 40 years ago, we used the same fluid drive converters for pumps. I used to take care of a bank of fluid drive VSD pumps for a large dialysis unit in a hospital. They had a knob to set the nozzle flow. Old technology, even the Dynaflow, triple reverse acting waterwheel..

Back in those days I also had a computer monitor that indexed a slide carousel, selected a slide, and back lit it on a TV style screen, Honeywell Selectographic.

• Like 1

The video illustrates the operation of a fluid coupling.   This what was used in the early Hydramatic transmissions.   When a third element, the stator, is added to the pump and turbine, the result is a torque converter.   This is similar to the fluid coupling but this video does not illustrate the action of a torque converter.   The Dynaflow transmission used a torque converter and not a fluid coupling.   There are several videos on You Tube that illustrate the action of the torque converter.

Joe

• Like 2

Best auto trans. video I've seen. They spent a small fortune fabricating the transparent housing, I'm sure.

And dad better get on those Dandelions! The Jones' wont appreciate it. ^_^

Thank you for the vid!

56 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

Before the microprocessor base variable frequency drives for electric motor, 40 years ago, we used the same fluid drive converters for pumps. I used to take care of a bank of fluid drive VSD pumps for a large dialysis unit in a hospital. They had a knob to set the nozzle flow. Old technology, even the Dynaflow, triple reverse acting waterwheel..

Back in those days I also had a computer monitor that indexed a slide carousel, selected a slide, and back lit it on a TV style screen, Honeywell Selectographic.

Pascal's law and a kind heart will be around forever.

I'll bet your expertise extended many lives.

Kudos, Mr. Bernie

19 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I remember the slide carousel.  My father was big into photography and had his pictures on slides.  He would load in the carousel for us to look on a screen. 

19 hours ago, Joseph P. Indusi said:

The video illustrates the operation of a fluid coupling.   This what was used in the early Hydramatic transmissions.   When a third element, the stator, is added to the pump and turbine, the result is a torque converter.   This is similar to the fluid coupling but this video does not illustrate the action of a torque converter.   The Dynaflow transmission used a torque converter and not a fluid coupling.   There are several videos on You Tube that illustrate the action of the torque converter.

Joe

Joe, 

I found this video that is quite good at explaining the torque converter.   It is quite a clever design.