Post Office issue with the BOD ballot

I filled out my BOD ballot, put a stamp on it and sent it on it's way. A few days later the ballot showed up in my mailbox, undelivered. I asked about it at the post office and they said that since my name and address appears on one side of the ballot with a bar code above it, the post office equipment scanned the wrong side by reading the bar code and sending it back to me. They said to black out the bar code so it will get sent to the right address. Not sure if anyone else has had this occur, but I thought I would pass along the information to those of you that haven't yet mailed your ballot in, so that gets there on time. Regards, David

Edited by wildcatsrule (see edit history)

Or, you can put the whole ballot in an envelope, write the card's address on the envelope, stamp it, seal it up, and mail it. That way, it won't come back to you, and if the card is flimsy, which I think it is,  it won't get torn up or stuck in the postal machinery.

Pete Phillips

• Like 4

oSeems like the "Return to Sender" issue has come up before?  Might there be a better way to address this issue with the end result being no additional "labor operations" needed by the sender?

We can't control how the postal employee loads the stack of items being sent in the very fast automated scanners than have for postal sorting operations.  Possibly if the non-voting side was configured the same an a regular envelope (return address in the upper lh corner, "TO:" address near the center of the item, that might work better?  EXCEPT it wouldn't scan correctly for mailing of the magazine itself!

Didn't we have a few years where we carefully peeled off a mailing label to affix to a ballot?  That label could become the "FROM" section of the ballot, with the "TO:"  section being as it currently is?  Voting area would be on the reverse side.

Gotta be a way to make it happen . . .

Willis Bell  20811

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)

In light of several "ut-ohhs" over the past years regarding BCA BOD ballots (i.e., incorrect zip codes, mail sorting issues), might it be possible that some sort of notification that our ballot had been duly received and counted be in order?  I know it would take some extra steps to make that happen, but it could also give us more confidence in the voting process.  Notification could be by Official Email, a running thread in these forums, or some other method that would not increase costs very much.

Just a thought,

Willis Bell  20811

• 2 months later...
On 4/13/2017 at 11:19 AM, Mark Shaw said:

Rather than second guess post office operations, keep it simple.  

The post card should be redesigned with input from a postmaster who will know how to configure it to work with or without the bar code.

I would love to talk with a postmaster about this.

I personally think the ballots should be postpaid to encourage voting.

I briefly looked into this, but could not figure out how to proceed.

I wonder if we have a member with experience who could assist with this?

• Like 2

Seems like the "post paid" issue requires only some paperwork and $$$ to do it?  Only downside is that with about 8000 members, of which only about 1000 vote, the cost-benefit situation might not be good for the BCA.  No doubt, there are some funds that could tolerate a one-time hit, but with such low ballot return, why lose money if you don't have to?  IF the BCA would be billed ONLY for the items actually sent, plus the initial charge, that might be a better situation.

On the other hand, such costs might be termed "an investment in the BCA's future", of which actual return on investment might not be that critical.  Again, with such a low response rate, might this investment be cost effective?

Many might lobby for electronic ballots.  Perhaps we might take some cues from the political election segment?  Denton County, TX recently spent money to go back to paper ballots!  Reason?  They had to do three recounts of their electronic voting apparatus this last election cycle.  When the voter arrives to vote, the particular ballot is printed on-the-spot and the voting process begins for that voter.  In the case of the BCA, where the ballot is a part of the monthly magazine, there might be a way to notify The Office that a ballot has been sent and then mark it off the list when it's received and processed?  Then, the "lost" mailings might be investigated individually from THAT end of things, at that time.

The voter paying for a postage stamp could be interpreted as THEIR investment in the BCA's future, as financially small as it might be.  In addition to their annual club membership.  

There is "a cost" for everything.  Just depends upon who finances it and for what benefit.  Something tells me that a post-paid ballot return situation might not be the "magic bullet" which is desired to increase voter "turnout".  I suspect that a survey of such, outside of this forum to seek to include more BCA members, might be suggested. 

I'm reminded of a story in Bob Lutz's book "GUTS".  They were doing some surveys at a major auto show.  They were asking people if they needed a couple of extra cupholders in their Chrysler Corp. minivans.  Of course, everybody responded "Yes".  When the questioning continued to "Would you pay another $25.00 for those extra cupholders, the answer was "No".  KInd of like a local city election we had.  Everybody wanted a new aquatics center, but resoundingly voted it down as it would raise taxes (very little).  Post-election polling indicated the voters figured the project should be paid for out of the normal operating budget (no tax increase).  Perhaps the post-paid ballot return might fit those scenarios?  People want and will accept what they don't have to pay for OR is funded from a normal budget line, although it ultimately is paid for by them, anyway?

After BOD discussion, deliberation, and final discussions, it's their decision . . . which we will abide by.

Willis Bell  20811

• Like 2