1924 Lincoln water pump re-build

Hi All,

I have a water pump for a 1924 Lincoln L that I purchased, All of the parts are present including new bushings and seals, The body of the pump has been cleaned and blasted. It appears complete needing assembly. Where should I send it to have it put back together again?

Thank you,

Matthew

347-701-5020

IMG_2398.JPG

IMG_2391.JPG

What a great solid old Lincoln ! Wow ! You don't come across them like this every year ! I suggest you get in touch with Linus Tremaine.  travellak1@netzero.net  He is an energetic genius of a young man who is managing certain automotive aspects of Jack Passey's estate. You and he will have much to talk about. Matthew , what shape is the interior , top , instrument panel ? Engine , all mechanicals? Amy more pics ?  Great find ! Congratulations!   - Cadillac Carl

Hi Carl, thank you for the tips!  The car is in excellent running condition, except that the water pump was removed for rebuild. the oil pan was cleaned out and all of the bearings were checked and plasti-gauged I started it for a few moments and it sounds very smooth. I put a set of 6 matching tires on it. I'm looking forward to driving it this summer. The front seat is a little battered, but all of the leather is there. A few tools are in the drivers door. I've got the keys to all of the drawers and compartments. I couldn't be happier with it and have been looking casually for a Lincoln like this for a while. I'm glad that you like the car, it is a time capsule! I will post a few more pictures when I get into work later, 

best,

Matt

Matt, if you like and it would help you, I can pull the pump shaft out of the 1926 project car that I got from Perry Smith through the Forum.  I will rebuild it and grind back to standard with a Metco stainless steel sprayed coating from  a wire-feed gun.  The coating has a very small % fine porosity which is sealed with an air-hardening phenolic sealer; but the surface also retains grease.   A steel shaft wears and rusts,  most stainless steel shafts get hot, but a sprayed stainless steel coating on a steel shaft is the best in service.   I once had to rebuild the shaft and re-bush the water pump from an early 1920s Silver Ghost Rolls Royce.   ( I reckoned the pump itself was designed a bit like an Englishman's Irish joke, but nevertheless,  ....)   I did the job, and it was a nice smooth minimum clearance fit,  but then I realised I did not have correct packing.   I gave Des clear instructions about the need for packing and where to get it locally.   Several years later he said that the pump lost an occasional drop of water.   He had forgotten to instruct the spanner-monkey who put it back on the car for him.      If you like I will rebuild and grind my shaft back to standard, and post it to you,  no cost to you of course.   When you finish, just post the other one back so I can fix it the same way for my Lincoln project.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Ivan,

Thank you for your offer to re-build the shaft! I sent the pump to a place that Linus Tremaine recommended (Bob Mosier in California). Bob has not started on the pump yet. I am going to call them and I will let you know if I will need the shaft re-built. 

I appreciate your insight and recommendation.

All the best,

Matthew