1966 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE QUESTIONS

Hi, I do not see a separate Mustang site, so putting my questions under Ford.  Looking at a garage find 1966 Mustang convertible which has not moved in 32 years. Current owner bought the car somewhere around 1976/1977.  Checking the VIN the car was made in Metuchen NJ and is still in NJ.  According to VIN car was originally a 6 cylinder. Car has an automatic transmission.   Car now has a V-8 which was changed by the prior owner.  I do not know what the engine is at this time.  The car has the original paint and interior as well as the convertible top cover, hub caps and trim.   I am not a Mustang guy and have some questions.

1..... car has 5 wheel lugs.  Is that right for an original 6 cylinder car?  I have read that 6 cyl should have 4 lugs.

2......car is supposed to be a power top.  The top is down and can not see if there are hoses or cable attached.  But I guess there should be a switch to operate. Where is the switch located?

3......where are the numbers on the motor located.  Lets say it is a 289  is the number located in a different spot than on a 302.

I am sure i will have more questions in the future as i get more interested in purchasing.

Thanks in advance for answers

Jim

Jim,

It's always intriguing to hear about those garage/barn finds that are still out there and it's hard to imagine how someone can just sit on a car like that and doing nothing with it for such a long time.  If this Mustang was originally a 6cyl from the factory there will be a T in the 5th digit of the VIN.  All 6cyl '66's had 4 lug wheels and all V8's had 5 lug wheels.  The top motor and hydraulic lines are behind the rear seat back.  You can remove the back seat and then remove the seat back retaining bolts to gain access to the top motor and lines.  The lifting rams would be behind the rear seat quarter trim.  There should be a up/down switch mounted to the dash to the left of the steering column if it is a power top.  Engine numbers are in the same location for 289/302 (behind the starter) and I believe a 289 would have a thinner harmonic damper compared to a 302.  You could also pop off the valve covers and the heads would have either 289 or 302 cast into them.  Ideally the VIN stamping on the drivers fender will match the data plate on the drivers door.  There is also another VIN stamping underneath the passenger fender.

Matt 

VIN on registration and door match.   So if it is a 6 cylinder why does it have 5 lug wheels.  I know that they could have been changed but that would have been a lot of work.  New spindles and drums on the front   and  new axles and drums on the back    etc   etc.     Jim

To properly convert from a straight 6 to a V8 you need to swap out the 6cyl suspension w/ the more beefy V8 stuff which includes swapping to 5 lug wheels.  All the front suspension should have been swapped over to V8 stuff to support the heavier V8 engine.  Sounds like the axles were done to which was the right way to do it.  Small 6cyl axles and rear ends are not designed for V8 engines.  Sounds like the previous owner who did the conversion knew what needed to be done and did it the right way.

Matt