1942 radio face (buick dash) restoration

tinsled

My 1942 series 70 is missing some fragile parts on the radio "face", see below photo;

- the radio push buttons and the vol/tune knobs

- the mesh on the speaker (behind the horizontal chrome bars)

7b519d24cc5747da0aedc5bc6c93baec.jpg

I suppose it should look like this photo

47-Buick-Roadmaster-DV-09_RMM-i0002.jpg

... or this? (the mesh is different, which is correct for 1942?)

6525_img_2722.jpg

The question is;

Where to get correct looking mesh?

...also...

Are the ivory push buttons available? (n.o.s./repops) - where?

Thanks,

Pekka

• 2 weeks later...

Pekka,

Not familiar with the '42 in particular but there was little change from '42 - '48 so this may be of some help (from a sales brochure for the 1946 models). It appears as though the top picture of a restored radio may indeed be correct. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/brochures/Buick/1946/pages/1946 Buick (17)_jpg.htm. Good luck in determining exactly what is correct.

Thank you Gene!

Valuable information - also for the inside window frames.

My car's restoration was started by some of the previous owners. The gentleman who sold the car to me could not tell anything of the restoration, he had not done anything for the car.

However, I was in doubt to see the inside window frames chromed (also repaired by welding and grinding). I suspected that the chrome finish was "customizing" rather than restoring. Most the period cars have the frames painted/wood grained. However your 1946 brochure has the windshield inside frame chromed, thus at least for 1946 it is correct.

Back to the radio grille - Would anyone be able to hint; where to find the correct or even close to similar mesh?