NC-car-guy

1954 century sedan. GA to NC

This might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I have to turn the ignition a hundred times to get contact. The car  has spent more time with the hood up than on the road this summer.  I cannot get anything to get to the screws in the back of the ignition. Tried a nut driver, tried ratchet with a swivel, I cannot get it. I'm going to get my dremel and widen the access to the back of the switch.

Now I've gone and bought a second project.... What was I thinking! I'm going to need to choose one as I can not handle two of these.. Financially, time wise, or stress wise and one will end up by the wayside. 

Edited by wndsofchng06 (see edit history)

Wasn't there a picture from someone which showed how the guard behind the ignition switch is attached? I remember thinking that did not look too hard to get off and then the entire switch comes out of the dash. Maybe you could pull the switch from your new project and install it here till you can source another good ignition switch?

Ha.  If the old ones would come out!  I'm just over working on stuff really.  I have to much work with work and this old House.  I want a car that's fun,relaxing, enjoyable.  Not more work. I think I need to sell off all my extra junk and projects and just focus on making one car really really nice.  Instead I've continued to buy more projects that require more time more money more space. I only need one I can only drive one at a time.

I hear ya on that! I've been very lucky with my vehicles for several years now. But I still remember the time I felt like you. Glad I got through that and kept the ones I did. 

4 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

This might be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I have to turn the ignition a hundred times to get contact. The car  has spent more time with the hood up than on the road this summer.  I cannot get anything to get to the screws in the back of the ignition. Tried a nut driver, tried ratchet with a swivel, I cannot get it. I'm going to get my dremel and widen the access to the back of the switch.

Now I've gone and bought a second project.... What was I thinking! I'm going to need to choose one as I can not handle two of these.. Financially, time wise, or stress wise and one will end up by the wayside. 

Wire around it. Can't be too difficult.

Ben

sounds like you need a vacation son. hang in there til Hershey, that should recharge your battery. 

• Like 2

alternatively, load one of them on that nice new trailer, take it to Hershey and double your money. But of course then comes sellers remorse.  Cool whether is just around the corner, times will get better.

• Haha 1

With the key on, is only the starting circuit dead or are things like the blowers and turn signals dead also?

4 minutes ago, old-tank said:

With the key on, is only the starting circuit dead or are things like the blowers and turn signals dead also?

The ammeter reads but I haven't checked the other accessories.  Aren't all of them on the other side of the ammeter and the starting circuit is its own wire?

Finally got the switch out. Used the thinnest 5/16 socket I could find on a swivel and had to pry it to one side to get the second screw out. Here's the switch out of the car:

Screenshot_2018-09-30-12-55-54.thumb.png.c78032f37bb7672a5365a60b172ee72e.png

Here's one I had in the parts building:

Screenshot_2018-09-30-12-56-00.thumb.png.b5f565b71c869bf2599358b518fb4aaf.png

Contacts look a little better on this one. Should I reassemble with dielectric grease or dry?

Hopefully this will get Lucy back on the road. But it really is time to take stock and thin my heard. The fiat should be sold soon and hopefully my share in the F100 will soon follow. Then figure out which Buick will be my prize and do it complete and do it right so I can enjoy it while focusing onmy crazy job, saving for retirement and working on my house. I know I can't get back what I have in these cars, but I need to declutter my life.

• Like 1

On 9/21/2018 at 3:41 PM, old-tank said:

My method to troubleshoot (correction/additions welcome)

With the key on, jump across the carb switch terminals:  (careful, those wires are NOT fuse protected and if grounded will instantly fry your harness!)

---car starts:  clean switch

---car does not start:  next test

With key on jump 12v+ to the black wire on the starter relay:

--car starts:  solenoid and starter are ok (problem is associated with the starter relay)

---car does not start:  starter and/or solenoid defective

Remove the green wire from the starter relay and ground that terminal and try to start normally:

---car starts:  defect in generator or grounding of generator (jump the yellow wire on the back side of the voltage regulator  to battery negative and test again with green wire connected)

---car does not start:  starter relay defective

So I got the key back together and still won't start.  I went back through these steps....  It starts no when I discinnect thw green wire and connect geound to the relay. I guess I didn't get a good enough connection the first time.   Generator seems to charge ok...  So now what??

If the generator isn't grounding out the switch, then its most likely not charging very well or over charging. Reset the field polarity with a jumper wire between the battery terminal and the armature terminal on the voltage regulator. If the problem doesn't fix itself, then you might need to look into a new generator. Before you write it off, though, make sure the armature terminal itself is grounded when off and open when on. Sometimes the green wire can pull out of the connector. 

If you're set on going with one car, I would pick the one with the Dynaflow. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, though! Keep at it Matt, don't give up! 

15 minutes ago, Beemon said:

If the generator isn't grounding out the switch, then its most likely not charging very well or over charging. Reset the field polarity with a jumper wire between the battery terminal and the armature terminal on the voltage regulator. If the problem doesn't fix itself, then you might need to look into a new generator. Before you write it off, though, make sure the armature terminal itself is grounded when off and open when on. Sometimes the green wire can pull out of the connector. 

If you're set on going with one car, I would pick the one with the Dynaflow. Hopefully it doesn't come to that, though! Keep at it Matt, don't give up! 

Which battery terminal?  Positive?   Update.  Now its not starting even with that terminal grounded.   Holy f@##!$#!$#***#*!;!;÷_!_:&=_!..!&_$.;×&????  this whole freaking time..... Neutral safety switch. &!_!;$:@.!&#&#.'&#_=,!!!!  Starting fine now with all normal connections!??

Well its all over..... went on a test ride to the grocery store and I was stopped waiting to turn into my driveway when a car hit the car behind me at about 40 pushing the car into me.

20180930_172501.jpg

20180930_172448.jpg

20180930_172417.jpg

20180930_172414.jpg

• Sad 7

Holy s#$t, I know you don't want to hear this but, at least you were not injured. If you decide to, hopefully the 54 can be fixed.

4 minutes ago, Red Dawn said:

Holy s#$t, I know you don't want to hear this but, at least you were not injured. If you decide to, hopefully the 54 can be fixed.

Doubtful...  Its tweaked.  None of the doors open or close right.  Seats bent its jacked...this sucks

Yikes!!!:o  It can be fixed if you want, but not out of your pocket.  Hopefully the other driver has insurance (unlike around here --- I've never been hit by an insured driver).

Get to the emergency room and get checked.  At the minimum your neck and back will be so sore you cannot get out of bed tomorrow.  Bad things like a spinal stroke might show up.

• Like 2

So sorry to see this , that is your baby and can't think of what you going thru !!!!

Bill

• Sad 1

Man what a shame sorry to see this glad you're ok hopefully either you or them had insurance 

• Sad 1

Oh, friend, that just hurts to see it!!  

Let us know how we can help...  I may have a bumper and brackets for that...  Likely Lamar will have what you need too, and a lot closer.