NC-car-guy

1954 century sedan. GA to NC

Recommended Posts

Wipers are working great! Yes, they do slow under acceleration.  That is normal.  Do the same when driving up a hill.   Vacuum simply dies.  But, the fuel/vacuum pump keeps them going.       

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

 Heading to the fairgrounds flea market...

 

4 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

 

 

Wow!  You must have some long arms to get that movie from the passengers side!  :rolleyes:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost all I drive on weekends.  I'm hesitant about full coverage insurance.... they are half what I pay for liability only,  but the restrictions worry me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

It's almost all I drive on weekends.  I'm hesitant about full coverage insurance.... they are half what I pay for liability only,  but the restrictions worry me

 

Who are you going through? I have zero restrictions on my full coverage, as it is registered as a classic vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hagerty and Grundy both require no errands, no daily driving, etc...hagerty tops at 5k miles per year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Hagerty and Grundy both require no errands, no daily driving, etc...hagerty tops at 5k miles per year.

 

When was the last time you got a quote from them? Hagerty has a ton of options now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NCReatta said:

 

When was the last time you got a quote from them? Hagerty has a ton of options now. 

Last week....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, wndsofchng06 said:

Last week....

I just got one a couple weeks ago and they didn't put any kinds of restrictions like that on me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NCReatta said:

I just got one a couple weeks ago and they didn't put any kinds of restrictions like that on me.

Really??  Hmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Really??  Hmmm

You can select what you use it for and estimate your miles driven per year. 

Screenshot_20180421-222638.png

Edited by NCReatta (see edit history)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmmm. My agent didn't tell me that.  I have moved so many cars over the years I cant keep up so I usually just call my insurance agent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hagerty is easy to do online.  No one will check mileage.  Worry more about local law if registered as antique/classic.  And then tell them you are testing engine, brakes, tranny, etc repairs; going to get gas; going to club meeting.  Just don't drive to work regularly.  Just have a modern vehicle available.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In most cases they don't care, at least around here. I've never been pulled over and drove to school almost every day, driving passed the PD on the way. I've seen more people pulled over for having vintage plates than collector plates because the vintage plates don't register in the computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Beemon said:

In most cases they don't care, at least around here. I've never been pulled over and drove to school almost every day, driving passed the PD on the way. I've seen more people pulled over for having vintage plates than collector plates because the vintage plates don't register in the computer.

In NC we can run YOM plates, but must have the modern plates in the car.  No regulatory issues as long as I have liability at a minimum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Beemon said:

In most cases they don't care, at least around here. I've never been pulled over and drove to school almost every day, driving passed the PD on the way. I've seen more people pulled over for having vintage plates than collector plates because the vintage plates don't register in the computer.

 That is kind of strange.  Maryland will input the YOM  letters/numbers that will associate the tag number to the classic car issued tag when run by the police.   Need to keep the classic car tags in the car.   Only once did I see a bonanza of classic cars getting pulled over.  It is an event held yearly in an affluent neighborhood that a few residence did not like the show being held near their homes.   One  or more of the residence must know the local cops well because the day of the show any car not running a front tag was pulled over and citation issued.   They did their best to ruin a fund raiser.  Needless to say, the park no longer permitted any more shows(I believe they increase the cost to use the park to some astronomical figure).    The following year the state of MD removed the ruling that historic and street rods needed to run the front tag.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, avgwarhawk said:

 That is kind of strange.  Maryland will input the YOM  letters/numbers that will associate the tag number to the classic car issued tag when run by the police.   Need to keep the classic car tags in the car.   Only once did I see a bonanza of classic cars getting pulled over.  It is an event held yearly in an affluent neighborhood that a few residence did not like the show being held near their homes.   One  or more of the residence must know the local cops well because the day of the show any car not running a front tag was pulled over and citation issued.   They did their best to ruin a fund raiser.  Needless to say, the park no longer permitted any more shows(I believe they increase the cost to use the park to some astronomical figure).    The following year the state of MD removed the ruling that historic and street rods needed to run the front tag.

NC doesn't record the YOM tag# either...  I think Virginia does though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

NC doesn't record the YOM tag# either...  I think Virginia does though

 MD will even run the  YOM tag to assure there is nothing funky with it.  Plus, they check the color of the tag is correct for the year.  Anyway,  I see some discussion about insurance.  I use Hagerty.   Like Willie stated, Hagerty online is very easy.  No middle man.  Pick and choose what you like.   I found that going to an agent like State Farm often finds themselves going to a classic car insurer anyway for a quote and provides that quote to you.     

Edited by avgwarhawk
spelling (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's subjective in my area of NYS.  I have run YOM on the GS and the '56 for decades and have never been pulled over.  The 56 is even a one plate year, so I have no front plate at all.  Meanwhile a good friend with a 75 Trans Am was pulled over after an event where the norm is a burn out upon departure, even though he had both YOM plates duly mounted.  The Sherriff in that case claimed she knew nothing about using the old plates on historical vehicles.   Yeah...like I'd believe that!

 

The YOM plate number is listed on the vehicles papers, in our case the glove box documents  and windshield registration sticker .  The DMV will register just about anything remotely recognized as a NYS issued YOM plate for the vehicle, but will not register anything where the plate number is already in use.  For example, you can put a car plate on a commercial vehicle and taxi plates on a car, just as long as the plate sequence is not already in use.  It gets interesting when you get to older custom plates.  The number I have on my '56 appears to have been custom ordered because there were plates issued under that same number across several plate design changes.  As long as I keep that number active by renewing my registration, no one else with the same number, on a different styled plate,  can use it.  But if I let it lapse and someone else registers the same number before I renew, then I'd be out of luck.

 

But the rule says the plate has to be a legitimate plate for the year of manufacture, and it cannot be restored.  Meanwhile I have seen later year plates on earlier vehicles,  restored plates on several cars, and even heard a rumor that one guy had a plate made to describe his car, in a series where the plate combo was never available,  and it was accepted. 

 

Oh well. 

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can't run restored plates in NY? In Washington, the plates have to be restored by a professional before they are considered. No front plates here, which has allowed me to run vanity plates and drive through toll lanes without being charged. ;)

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Florida, the YOM plates have to be authenticated by DMV main office In Tallahassee. You have to send the plate for their approval, they check if is authentic to the year,  design, color, condition and legibility. Once approved you have to registered and a validation decal is issue to be displayed in the upper right corner of the plate. I have not affixed the decal because it takes from the plate period ; however I have it attached to an aluminum decal holder that I can install  to the plate with a wing nut if need be. I keep it in the glove compartment just in case but law enforcement down here are very relax when it comes to enforcing on vintage vehicles. Know lots of cops ?‍♀ that exercise this hobby. Florida requires a single plate to be displayed in the rear.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 1964 Worlds' Fair NY plate on my '64 GP came with the car, so I was able to transfer it to my registration.  The nice thing about that plate is that it was used in '64 & '65 (with a '65 endorsement sticker) only and it was a rear plate only -- unlike the surrounding years.  That allows me to run my "GRRRRRR" plate on the front!

 

 

20150917_F1A3409.jpg

20150917_F1A3291.jpg

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Definitely signing up for that insurance next week on my way back from the car show I had a guy cut me off and then slam on brakes I think I had smoke coming from all four tires as I locked it down????????

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the fun of daily driving! You haven't lived until you've hydroplaned on the highway at 65 MPH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now