NC-car-guy

1954 century sedan. GA to NC

Recommended Posts


Benefits of AACA Membership.

You really should try my method on that paint,might surprise you,pick a fender and give it a whirl.Do you know if it was repainted ? If it was,the sanding would be the way,if not that old paint should come back.Stay away from that lacquer thinner.Take a look at my '60 LeSabre "Elvira",she looked a lot worse than yours before I started,I should have taken pictures after dust and before my clean up.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MrEarl said:

Yea I want to get one. Just wanted to make sure I'm doing the right process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, RivRider said:

You really should try my method on that paint,might surprise you,pick a fender and give it a whirl.Do you know if it was repainted ? If it was,the sanding would be the way,if not that old paint should come back.Stay away from that lacquer thinner.Take a look at my '60 LeSabre "Elvira",she looked a lot worse than yours before I started,I should have taken pictures after dust and before my clean up.

Yes def repainted. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice car, suspect Mrs. Earl is happy to have some of the inventory gone from the retro Buick dealer.  Did you get the same warranty I got?  5 years 50,000 miles?  If you got a better deal I will be upset!

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kgreen said:

Nice car, suspect Mrs. Earl is happy to have some of the inventory gone from the retro Buick dealer.  Did you get the same warranty I got?  5 years 50,000 miles?  If you got a better deal I will be upset!

Warranty?  Hmph!

 

Lol

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Got all the wheels turning freely.  Brake adjusters were all the way out. Rear axle seals seem shot. Pushed her into the shop.   But the big news for the evening is that it runs.  I was able to turn it by hand sunday night. Monday we sprayed a lil marvel in each cylinder and turned by hand,  last night we put more marvel and turned with the starter.  Tonight we just ran the starter to make sure there was no oil built up,  then put the plugs back in.  Fuel lines are new,  fuel filter was clean. Cleaned the points,  and rotor button. Poured a few gallons in the tank, and a drizzle in the carb,  hit the starter..........  she fired right up and idled like nothing to it. Oil pressure came up, lots of lifter tapping. Didnt run it long as fuel was shooting out of what appears to be a weep hole in the side of the pump..... trying to post a video to YouTube so i can link it here. 

20170412_201456.jpg

20170412_203213.jpg

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those fuel pumps are easy to rebuild. Assuming you didn't rip the oil seals, usually those and the diaphragms can be left alone and the big rubber pieces are usually all that needs to be replaced. I can't recall a weep hole on any of the pumps I've seen, both here and at the junkyard, but perhaps the pulsator diaphragm ruptured and it's seeping out the top?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Beemon said:

Those fuel pumps are easy to rebuild. Assuming you didn't rip the oil seals, usually those and the diaphragms can be left alone and the big rubber pieces are usually all that needs to be replaced. I can't recall a weep hole on any of the pumps I've seen, both here and at the junkyard, but perhaps the pulsator diaphragm ruptured and it's seeping out the top?

 

There is literally a small hole in the "bridge" bewtween the fuel part and the vacuum part of the pump.  It's about 1/8" and facing out towards the inner fender of the car.  Every time it pumps a big shot of fuel blows out that little hole.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

 

There is literally a small hole in the "bridge" bewtween the fuel part and the vacuum part of the pump.  It's about 1/8" and facing out towards the inner fender of the car.  Every time it pumps a big shot of fuel blows out that little hole.

 

Diaphragm likely holed.  Not good on fuel pumps and other types of diaphragms.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If gas is coming out of the "weep hole" there is a good chance gas is also going into crankcase.  Repair or replace the fuel pump and change oil and filter.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, old-tank said:

If gas is coming out of the "weep hole" there is a good chance gas is also going into crankcase.  Repair or replace the fuel pump and change oil and filter.

That's what I figured.  I have piles of these things, but every darn one is dry rotted from sitting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you found a source of parts for rebuilding these fuel pumps so they can handle alcohol contaminated gas?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I rebuilt my pump with a kit from CARS. Any new kits will be ethanol resistant, stay away from NOS pumps and kits unless you want to rebuild them or throw them in the trash.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Beemon said:

I rebuilt my pump with a kit from CARS. Any new kits will be ethanol resistant, stay away from NOS pumps and kits unless you want to rebuild them or throw them in the trash.

Yea especially at the price they go for

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Matt -- I like that new avatar!  ;)

 

20170409_185531.thumb.jpg.5f2c68642c1059

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/11/2017 at 7:09 PM, wndsofchng06 said:

Color did rub off with laquer thinner. Polishing compound seems to have no affect on the sanded or unsanded paint. Maybe too light of a grit?

If you cannot bring out a nice shine after polishing out the 1000 grit marks, then wax is the only thing that will improve the shine.  Lacquer will shine even if very old when polished; old chalky enamel might improve, but will never shine well.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now