Quick 1963 interior question....

Black River

Hi, just a quick question.  In my '63 non-a/c car, the passenger side dash and glove box door are smooth and painted gray.  I've seen them both smooth and "finned" like the factory steering column.  Is there any rhyme or reason to this?  I've assumed it was a running change on the '63s, and the earlier cars had the smooth dash and the later had the finned, but haven't found an actual answer.  Just curious.  Thanks.

Lucas

I know for sure that the smooth dash to the ribbed aluminum veneer was a mid model change.  Also about the same time, the speedometer was changed from a 120 mph unit to a 140 mph unit.  There were other changes that occurred through out the year as well.  Post a picture of your Fisher Data Plate and perhaps Jim Cannon, who keeps the '63 registry, can tell you more about which changes your car may have and which ones it doesn't have.  He can tell you all this by the build date on the Date Plate.

Ed

24 minutes ago, RivNut said:

I know for sure that the smooth dash to the ribbed aluminum veneer was a mid model change.  Also about the same time, the speedometer was changed from a 120 mph unit to a 140 mph unit.  There were other changes that occurred through out the year as well.  Post a picture of your Fisher Data Plate and perhaps Jim Cannon, who keeps the '63 registry, can tell you more about which changes your car may have and which ones it doesn't have.  He can tell you all this by the build date on the Date Plate.

Ed

I actually e-mailed him my plate this morning for his registry haha.....perfect timing.

13 minutes ago, petelempert said:

I'm sure glad I got a mid model car because I really need that 140mph speedo. Otherwise I'd always be wrapping the needle back around and just guessing at anything over 120. PRL

All of the 5.0 Mustangs I've had (4 of them) have had 85 mph speedometers.  Now THAT was a funny underestimate sanctioned by the government.......

9 hours ago, Black River said:

All of the 5.0 Mustangs I've had (4 of them) have had 85 mph speedometers.  Now THAT was a funny underestimate sanctioned by the government.......

I had a 79 Malibu with a 85mph speedo. It was pretty funny. That same car had a am/fm radio, with a single speaker. FM in mono, wired internally like that too.

Hi Black River,

this is a November 1962 build, 140mph speedo with smooth finish dash panel, spare wheel on RH floor. So thinking the two changes did not necessarily go together. Remember reading somewhere that it took some time to get the dash board change to give some BLING to the I interior. However this does have factory air. Hope this helps?

image.png

image.png

In the beginning of the production year, the firewall was painted body color.   At sometime, it was painted black.  The "dent"  in the vacuum reservoir was smaller in the early production models.  My 63 was built the last week of February and it includes all of the changes, but the spare tire is still on the floor.

Ed

Hi Mitch,

thank you for the compliments, glad you like it. The red interior was one of the things that influenced me to buy when I saw the photos. Has that real wow factor! 

cheers

Rodney

OK Rod:  "Patina" has morphed into an abused term used to mis-describe wore out.  In your case, this leather really has patina.  Loving use, not abuse and still having the richness of character of the original leather...no different than that wonderful leather chair in someone's home they enjoy so much.    Mitch