TH 400 Oil Leak

Hi,<BR>My good old 442 has got a bad problem.<BR>After not been driven for about 3 months, it´s now loosing all the transmission fluid.<BR>The funny thing is, all gaskets, seals, O - rings etc. are O.K.<BR>It´s dripping out of the driveshaft yoke.<BR>The ATF is going out through the little hole in the center of the yoke.<BR>I did buy me a new GM driveshaft yoke but it has got the same hole in the center. (What a surprise ) <BR>I´m almost about to close that hole by welding. <BR>You think that is O.K. ??<BR>What can be the reason for this "oil leaking" problem ?<BR>When I drive the car one time a week, everything is all right but it doesn´t like to be left alone in its garage for a much longer time . <P>Thank´s !!<BR>Tim ( Germany / Augsburg )

shocked.gif" border="0 Don't weld up the hole in the yoke, it's part of the transmission's vent system! What's happening is that as the car sits, all the fluid is draining back out of the torque converter and hydraulic circuits into the pan, and as the level rises it gets up to the level of that vent hole and drips out. I had a 73 88 that would do the same thing if it wasn't driven at least every other week. I've also seen them leak out around the pan gasket, speedometer cable seal and shift lever seal. Solution? Drive it! the car will thank you for it.

Thats interesting. This past summer when we fired up the 75 convertable.Drove up the road 1/2 mile and I had transmission fluid all over the place. Toped level back up and never had it happen again.Must be what you are talking about. It looked like it came out of the filler tube.

Tim, I'll drive that car for you once a week. grin.gif" border="0 I'm be sure to clean out the carbon and get that trans spinning fast enough to lube all the parts. wink.gif" border="0