1932 trunk install

My thought (and this is probably why I do not have a trunk on mine) is that trunk was not made for the small series cars, as the trunk should probably fit inside the reversed rack.  If larger, than it should probably mount on the stainless steel side.  Than you have make sure the lid does not hit the body and that you can fill the gas tank with then newer pump, otherwise you have to transfer with gas cans. That is about the time I gave up.  If I have crowd and need to carry something such as folding chairs, I just strap them down good.  Also, the "flipped" rack will probably lead to rust as it will not drain and dry easily.

John

Edited by jscheib
additional comments (see edit history)

cant see the rack holding water there is like 30 holes in it,but could flip it back over if need be .the trunk and rack are the same size just dose not fit inside.the lid when open is not at all close to the body so that is no problem,an it is easier to fuel than with the rack in the other position .think it looks good anyway if not will sell and move on ,just always wanted one,got a lot of things on my bucket list.a least it will be one less.

Stick to your guns , Pacrat ! "Looks good" ? Along with many other people , I think it looks GREAT !! When I bought my '27 Cad , it had that steamer trunk on it. Yeah , it does sit on a factory "shelf" , and sure , it may be a logical place to carry such luggage. Maybe someone way back would have lashed it up thusly. But a period correct automotive trunk ? Uh , no. The Taylor red "T" trunk IS exactly that. Looks perfect with the cool old Goodyears , too. Your trunk might well have been mounted on your car by means convenient to an owner in the original period. Do likewise , and enjoy its period looks and practicality. You can carry it or not according to need or appearance. A wonderful , legitimate piece in superb original condition ! 

Just before I took off on my long road trip last Winter , one of those "light bulbs" flashed in my mind. I found a use for that steamer trunk ! Gives the car a real cross-country look. Practical too. Included is a pic of another trunk on another '27 Cad. This one on a rare side mount sport sedan. Maybe the original owners also had a larger trunk , much more useful for long trips.

In 14 years , you will be as old as I am now. Those 14 years will pass faster than you would like. You are very wise to take any and all opportunities to enjoy that 'list. Life can change in a nanosecond.   - Carl 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Thanks for your kind words,love you pics will post one with the trunk on, if it ever stops raining .ya nothing like going down a bucket list,did the fast sports car sold that,keeping the harley for a while .dont go in the ground with unfinished dreams.thanks,ya i like the trunk look on the car ,it will stay,it did come with a trunk rack.

I agree 100% ! The radius of the curve of the lid matches the gentle curves of your '32 perfectly. Proportions  look just right also. Looks like it detailed out very well. I have been told that black shoe polish is perfect for the type of fabric on these trunks. I better get to mine. Hard to keep your eyes off 'em when you find just the right accessories you have been hunting ! Right ?   - Carl

Thanks i was looking for shoe polish in the house last night,found some .Yes very happy with the trunk look, thought the back looked bare without it,nice when it just falls in your lap thanks.

trunk install 004 (Medium).JPG

• 3 years later...

Hey pacrat, I'm gonna need to backpedal all the way here and ask you; how DID you fasten the trunk?

I'm in the exact same spot as you were when starting this post. I have a trunk that I need to add to my Buick's rack, and although I'm a carpenter and could easily just "throw something together" and bolt the poor bastard onto my rack from below somehow, I'd like some inspiration or guidance before going crazy with timbers and screws. ^_^ 

DSC_0438.jpg

DSC_0531.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for time it to for me to get back.  I had holes in the trunk bottom that lined up with the rack spacing ,found a rubber mount at princess auto (Canada).

2020-05-04 15.08.51.jpg

2020-05-04 15.08.23.jpg

• Like 1