decode serial #s

can anyone tell me how or where to decode the serial #s on a 68 olds cutless, i need to know what type of brakes this thing had and my local dealer cant break down the serial # beyound 1990...any help would be great....thanks, i would appr.if you could email me if its no problem. stingray@lmf.net

• 3 weeks later...

Those earlier VINs did not include any information on brake systems as the newer VINs do. The "ideal" situation would be to find a factory GM service manual and then head to an earlier version of the GM paper parts book. <P>The current GM parts databases do not go back that far, but the GM/Delco/DuraStop Brake parts book does in many cases. Might be a situation where an old paper parts book at the auto supply would be needed--plus someone who knows how to read it (or cares to learn). <P>I suspect that the issues will related to drum diameter and such (you can get an idea from the "max diameter" spec cast into the drum) or whether or not it has disc brakes. When looking in an old Chilton crash parts book I have, it mentioned regular, VistaCruiser, and the "C rear axle in the rear suspension/brake section. I suspect the factory service manual would answer your concerns. I do have access to a 1975 and prior Olds parts book at work, but will not be back there until the 26th.<P>What are your concerns or are you trying to find out? Email me direct if you desire.<P>NTX5467