29 DA sedan top insert

dodgerod

I don't see metal edging attached to bows, 

with metal strips screwed on and chicken wire  stapled to bows, I used aluminum metal tape over strips, 

i let fabric warm to room temperature  , stretching over strip, then stapled to wood in underneath, using heat gun in corners helps get a nice round fit.

I applied 5200 black silicon ,windshield adhesive in track to seal and installed , with screws and bolts from inside cab, 

dont forget to lineup hole for dome light wiring.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Mine looks like the 2nd photo in 30Dodge35's post above....it looks like you may not have allowed for the dome light wood yet. I put burlap over the chicken wire and then thin, quilted, moving pad material above that to even out any lumps. Stretching the top covering tightly over perimeter metal and then stapling to wood. The peremeter metal shown in above photo allows for a lip that fits the recess of the upper body. I used 3M strip caulk from O'Reillys as the seal. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MMM0/08578/N2356.oap?ck=Search_N2356_-1_-1&pt=N2356&ppt=C0171  also, a detail I did for my car

detail.jpg

I do have the metal trim that goes around perimeter, just not in picture.

The metal trim on my car sat on top of car not in ' drop down detail as shown in perimeter edge detail.'

I was also instructed to use canvas instead of 'chicken wire ' and welt padding atop of that and then the top material over all that. 

I see the size of table you used which looks like it worked well as top is curved and hanging over edge of table would be perfect to keep top flat and still be able to staple material.

I have attached canvas and will post pics once I've attached trim pieces.

I still have origonal wood top perimeter frame but a friend wanted to reproduce a new one cause he's into steaming wood so why not and it turned out PERFECT to origonal.

only two origonal wood cross bows that mount ahead of each metal bow survived the test of time .These I did not reuse or duplicate mostly due to lack of strength therefore I added bows under the metal ones for strength and to attach headliner to.Pics to follow.

Thank you for the replys, the knowledge on this site as well as the stories are helpful, educational and informative.

Rescue green, a chrysler/ dodge color, saw it on a jeep in 2007 and today it's on jeep liberty, yes thank you it is an interesting color, does get lots of attention, not even on road yet, only a few have seen it.Until now ......

Bob (or anyone else as well!!), was intending to ask soon, but this is as good a time as any. How did you achieve the profiles for the bows and also the longitudinal timbers? Were they bent/steamed, or cut from solid timber to that profile? It is just about next on my list to do, but I have trouble with anything I can't weld!!

John