6-17 Delux Coupe

a sell

A friend of mine has/had a '30 6-17 Delux Coupe with the 4 speed, and the big six.  He told me he thought it was the last one known of that model.  Some years ago I found another 6-17 Delux Coupe on the internet but could not track down a phone number in Nebraska? for him to call.  Was that just the ones in the registry or are they that rare?  The predecessor of this model was listed as having a top speed of 80 mph, is that true for the 6-17 as well?    We are helping his widow finish the started restoration, possibly with the thought of taking it to the Forest Grove Concours in July.  I know this is a tight knit community and as this progresses there will be questions, any help will be appreciated.  

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

Work is progressing and it will be completed soon.  It has been a scramble to find parts.  We robbed parts off of several other cars, and manufactured others.  The 6-14 is very similar but smaller, and has some of the same body parts.  Fortunately there were two there in pieces.  A part of the body was welded together poorly at the factory.  That was corrected.  All of the wood has been replaced.  It was more rotten than anticipated.   Recently we tracked down some of the last parts.  A trunk for the rack, the correct wiper motor, some headlioght parts, and a full set of dash control cables that had eluded us.   I think it will be at the Forest Grove concours this year.  He was a judge out there for many years.  As a display only I would like to take the low mileage Willies 8 out there as well, and let the body man take the credit for the exceptional work he has done on the Durant.

According to the Durant roster there are only 3 of these model registered in the world.  This is the only coupe. Not like the picture above it has dual sidemounts and side lights.

Most people only get to look at these rare old cars, I actually get to touch them.   For this one I might have to get a pair of white gloves. 

A Sell

Make sure you tell the owner to jump over to the Durant Motors Automobile Club web site at www.durantmotors.com and check it out. If you need parts or advise on something this is the place to go. They can join up by clicking a button on the left of the site. Club is a great family club, friendly and the club magazine is worth the membership dues, published quarterly.

Thanks Mike.  She is maintaining her membership in the Durant club.  There is 2 Durants, and 1 DeVaux there and MANY parts.  We went to the Durant national meet in Modesto last year with her.  Since the Durant was not ready we asked to take the 29 Chev convertible Sedan.  They figured that since Billy Durant had started Chevrolet it would be fine, and they also said we were welcome even if we did not bring an old car.  I stayed toward the back so as to not distract from the featured group.  There were two couples from Australia, and one from Canada.  We all had a great time.  The San Francisco group put on a WONDERFUL meet.  With great tours.  We even had lunch with the Pharohs on Sunday.  That was the car club in the movie American Graffiti. 

• 2 months later...

The 1930 Durannt 6-17 coupe is nearing completion and the body man drove it today.  A question has come up about the trunk.  This car has dual side mounts and had a potters trunk.  How was it held onto the rack?  was it held down with rivitted leather straps?  Did the straps go all the way over the top?  Was there a buckle in each strap?  Does anyone have a picture they can e-mail?  We have two weeks until the Forest Grove Concours to get it finished.

• 4 months later...

The 6-17 was mostly finished in time for the Forest Grove (Oregon) Concours D'Elegance.  It won best in class, AND best prewar at the event.  It is a very pretty car.  I think the shop is still going to pin stripe the car, and add a trunk.  It is back home now in a winter sleep.  We went up and asked her to start thinking about what events we all should go to next year.  Between the Durant club, the Horseless Carriage, and the Chevy club it should  be another great touring season.  There is a nice little Huppmobile touring that would be fun to get going for the summer.  I think it is a 26 with a six cylinder. 

• 2 years later...

Last July our frien Rosalie passed away. All the cars were put on ebay. The 4 buildings of parts went through the estate sale. I have been contacted by the new owner of the 6-17 coupe and am going to try to help him get it sorted out better. 

• 11 months later...