1914 Maxwell

corleone

Guest j.Illeney

Lets see a photo of the set up you have my 14 Maxwell has a magneto not a coil -does it have a battery? could be latter than 14 

My '14 Maxwell 25 currently has a Bosch magneto; no coil.  I think the original had a Simms magneto.

I believe 1914 Maxwell had an independent Simms magneto, simple on /off switch. 1915 went to a Simms dual system magneto that with the special switch/coil would start on battery and run on magneto.

1914 (and some 1915 Maxwells) with Simms-Huff Starting and Lighting system use two 6 volt batteries one of which is connected negative to ground. 4 dry cells are used for the battery side (starting) side of the magneto switch ( if so equipped). So it is a 6/12 volt system.

1915 they went to Gray & Davis 6 volt system ( positive ground) for starting and lighting. A separate set of 4 dry cells were used for the battery starting of the magneto syastem.

What brand and model(s) of starter and/ generator do you have?

Magneto info?

Pictures?

• 5 weeks later...

I do not have a Maxwell. But I know several people that do.

Several good pictures of your car, overall and each side of the engine, would help a lot. Post them either here, or the Maxwell sub-forum further down the AACA forums menu. OR,  a couple of the people I know have begun a new site especially for Maxwell cars. They have a lot of knowledge among them, and little by little are trying to get some of it onto the site, as well as linking to some other Maxwell stuff in the works'

So, you might want to try there,

http://maxwellautomobiles.proboards.com/

• Like 1

Atwater Kent ignition systems were also sold as an aftermarket item - in fact, I suspect that was the largest part of their business. There was a distributor unit that replaced the magneto .... so whether the OP's car has a mag or not probably doesn't tell us what year it was made. Without some photos, that's near impossible.

• 2 years later...

Hello all: I'm new to the site and I have a 1910 model Q 4 cyl roadster.

pics to follow. my dad has had it for 30 plus years. supposedly came from Harra's collection in Reno.

its a running car and I've put a lot of work into it to make it more dependable 

I'm wondering about using a 12v motorcycle battery to start it,  then switch to the mag once it's running.

it doesn't have a generator or starter. so no worries there. 

any ideas? 

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3450.JPG

Edited by macgyver49 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

the area that holds the battery is very small  4"x8" so I've had a small 6v motorcycle battery in it but I'm wondering if a small 12v from my gate opener will not destroy the coil. not just to start it and disconnect.  but to leave it in all the time.

I also run both my 1920 and 1925 t"s on 12 volts 

1 hour ago, Joe in Canada said:

I have a 12 and a 15 T and start both of them on a 12 volt battery.  Not saying it is ok for your car.

Hello all: I'm new to the site and I have a 1910 model Q 4 cyl roadster.

pics to follow. my dad has had it for 30 plus years. supposedly came from Harra's collection in Reno.

its a running car but I've put a lot of work into it. 

I'm wondering about using a 12v motorcycle battery to start it,  then switch to the mag once it's running.

it doesn't have a generator or starter. so no worries there. 

any ideas? 

Today I bought a lithium ion booster battery made for jump starting cars. For up to 5 liter gas engines or 2.5 liter diesel.It is a 750 amp, about the same as a typical car battery. It measures 7" X 3 1/4" X 1 3/4". They also had a 1500 amp job which is larger.

In addition to jump starting cars it will act as a power supply for your smart phone and other electronic devices through a USB port.  It also has a built in flashlight. It cost $99 on sale at Canadian Tire, I am sure you can do better in the US. The 1500 amp was $179.

If I needed a power supply for a car like yours I think I would give one a try.

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-eliminator-750a-lithium-ion-booster-pack-and-power-bank-0111906p.0111906.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwwtTmBRBqEiwA-b6c_45BW0H-KTH95blIxT-jcs2ibjsirmsInbOaExfnO6uU82FAZtwNJxoCP-0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=23

image.png

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Sounds like a good idea. I could even use it for my laptop, which dies quickly.

We don't seem to have that brand but we have this, http://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-20800mAh-SuperSafe-Portable-Protection/dp/B06XY35D93

GOOLOO 1000A Peak 20800mAh SuperSafe Car Jump Starter with USB Quick Charge 3.0 (Up to 8.0L Gas, 6.0L Diesel Engine) 12V Auto Battery Booster Portable Charger Power Pack Built-in Smart Protection,  $89.99

image.png.069b142e9812adbbb28bd603597f1009.png

Edited by mike6024 (see edit history)