HCCA Bakersfield Swap Meet - Start Date?

RansomEli

I'm getting conflicting info on when the HCCA Bakersfield swap meet starts. Does the swap meet start on Thursday, April 6 or Friday, April 7?

The HCCA national website says the swap meet starts on Friday, April 7.

The SoCal HCCA website says the swap meet start on Thursday, April 6.

I tend to believe the April 7 date but don't want to miss the opening day.

6 hours ago, RansomEli said:

I'll definitely do so, although the photos will be biased towards REOs and Franklins.

What are your thoughts on the 1916 REO on Ebay I believe it has been for sale for about two years now. Starting at $40,000. now down to 20,000. I have spoken to the owner a few months ago nice fellow. Nicer if it were a 15  http://www.ebay.com/itm/292068646187?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

It's a beautiful restoration - so far. Don't know the condition of the top bows; if they are bad then you are going to spend big bucks rebuilding them. A new top will probably cost at least $6K and I won't even guess at how much a leather interior will cost. Whatever the cost, you have to do it right to do justice to the car. 

The seller was originally asking $30K which is just too much money for the car in its current state. No takers at that price. 

I love the look of the 15-16 REO with the beaked radiator shell. It will be a great car when complete. I just bought another Franklin - otherwise I'd seriously look at the car. I'd pay somewhere in the low-to-mid teens for the car, simply because of the unknown (but very high) cost of upholstery and top. I'd be willing to pay a premium for the car because I'd be keeping it for a lonnnnng time.

Gentlemen,

The 16 REO is a fine car and now available at $15K ! It has a very tight chassis. I can always upshift the trans silently and without double clutching. Lots of torque from the 306 CID 6 cylinder.
I appreciate the favorable comments regarding the style of the car.

Ok, I give,,,,

Never been to Bakersfield swap meet as this is my first year able to attend FINALLY.

Rookie question:

What is meant by "Tour" on Thursday ?

Sorry, I've only been to local swap meets that are usually pretty small and unorganized...

I assume it's a viewing of vehicles or a small drive ?

It is a driving tour for those who have brought  cars to the meet. In past years, the tour was typically around 70-100 miles. They may also have a shorter tour for 1 and 2 cylinder cars. Most of these cars are on display at the swap meet on Friday and early Saturday.

Unfortunately, I can not attend this year, so please post pictures!!

Enjoy yourself. You'll see some really neat stuff.

The "tour" is a Horseless Carriage Club of America (HCCA) automobile tour. It's a separate event from the swap meet. You could go early to see

The swap meet itself it small compared to other swap meets around the country. What's special about Bakersfield (and Chickasha) is the items for sale are predominantly Model T and pre-15. You won't find many Camaro or Corvette parts. Lots of good stuff that you haven't seen on the Internet.

The cars offered for sale are just not found at other swap meets.  

No Camaro, Corvette or Chinese buffet items ?

THANK GOD !

I hear there's a strong possibility of rain, will this keep some of the sellers from attending ? Just don't want to make a wasted trip in the rain if folks decide to stay home...