MrEarl's Barnfind Adventure

MrEarl

13 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Do the 38 and the 54 take up the whole new barn on ya?  I know you got every other corner around there tucked full!

Nah, the '38 is parked in the front door, the '54 put on dollies and rolled to the front (at the time I wasn't planning on it going anywhere anytiime soon)  and the '53 parked at the back door. I'll go grab some pictures.

10 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

Elvis is just making sure you did not swipe his blankets out of the house to cover Buicks!!  

LOL you're probably right, I had considered them, LOL . In fact I have caught him eyeing these as if he may be planning on sneaking one off.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RivRider said:

They just keep getting better looking!! If these gas wells would get to pumping,I would retire and come down to help just for the fun of it,got a spare room?

What are you waiting for, come on down! Got a couple of spare rooms, and then there is the '54 Buick Headquarters room, plenty of room for a whole crew. :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

What are you waiting for, come on down! Got a couple of spare rooms, and then there is the '54 Buick Headquarters room, plenty of room for a whole crew. :)

Plus...the Capt is there!  Dandy Dave can attest to that!  

1 minute ago, avgwarhawk said:

Plus...the Capt is there!  Dandy Dave can attest to that!  

nope, there were two Captains here while he was here, but they both left before Dave did. :lol: When that boy mixes a Captain and Coke, he mixes a Capn and Coke, not a Coke and Capn.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

nope, there were two Captains here while he was here, but they both left before Dave did. :lol: When that boy mixes a Captain and Coke, he mixes a Capn and Coke, not a Coke and Capn.

This is why I drink Scotch and water.   Hold the water.  :) 

• Like 2

I prefer a good cold beer if it's hot outside or tequila and oj if its cold out,I do landscaping too,but prefer shinning old metal.Looks like if they where all running you could fit more in the barn!! Easier to maneuver. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, avgwarhawk said:

This is why I drink Scotch and water.   Hold the water.  :) 

That's my typical choice too, but when you nave company, you make concessions and try to accommodate them.  Honestly had to google it to see what it was before sending Reet to the store for it. Not bad and no headache the next day so can't complain.

• Like 2

Sounds like we're building a party at Mr.Earls!! Can't be too many other places with such a collection of Buicks and characters in one place.It will only take me 14 hours to get there unless I bring the Riv,cut it to about 10 or 11. 

• Like 3

Lamar, if you keep buying "cacharros" you can put that old ledger to good use. Let me know when the party starts... I can use a cold one at anytime as long as I can have my Bustelo after dinner. Even thought I don't smoke, I'll bring the Galan's

• Like 2

Zoning idea......get some whitewash and paint spots on the cars.....then go apply for an ag exemption....tell them to look on the satellite picture and they will see you have some big cows

• Like 5

We got some 40-50 mph winds, 4 inches of rain and about 10 minutes of pea size to marble size hail which no doubt would have left some marks on the cars had they not been covered with the moving blankets. So thankful I saw what was coming and had time to prepare for it. Now to get the 36 blankets dried and back to U-Haul. :wacko:  

• Like 5

We had some hail about a month ago and I had a guy come out and check my roof.  Sure enough, I need a new one.  I called my agent and the gal who actually run some the office said to call back the first of June.  ????

She advised me that until the hail season has passed, there's no need to put on a new roof then have it damaged.  

You might as well keep the blankets utility the season has passed.

Ed

• Like 1

15 hours ago, RivNut said:

You might as well keep the blankets utility the season has passed.

Rita thinks  a better idea would be for the Buicks to be gone before the next hail comes or there may be a different hell around here.  :wacko:

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

Rita thinks  a better idea would be for the Buicks to be gone before the next hail comes or there may be a different hell around here.  :wacko:

I needed that laugh today!!!

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MrEarl said:

I know that both you and Rita would like a Riviera.  How about my '90 Riv for the '38 - like dad had when I was a kid.  Mom would tell me "It's about time for your dad to be home."  I'd run to the end of the drive and wait for him.  I'd climb on the running board and he'd put his arm around me and drive me back down to the house.  

• Like 5

23 hours ago, RivNut said:

I know that both you and Rita would like a Riviera.  How about my '90 Riv for the '38 - like dad had when I was a kid.  Mom would tell me "It's about time for your dad to be home."  I'd run to the end of the drive and wait for him.  I'd climb on the running board and he'd put his arm around me and drive me back down to the house.  

Sorry Ed, although I myself have been known to use it, that sentimental ploy of "like dad had when I was a kid" ain't working here. The '38 has a new and long term owner. It is actually more than satisfying my longtime desire for a late 20's/early 30's roadster. Now to find that original condition unmolested  first gen Riviera....:D

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

Sorry Ed, although I myself have been known to use it, that sentimental ploy of "like dad had when I was a kid" ain't working here. The '38 has a new and long term owner. It is actually more than satisfying my longtime desire for a late 20's/early 30's roadster. Now to find that original condition unmolested  first gen Riviera....:D

Well dang.  Thought maybe if Rita had "one to call her own" she'd be more amenable to letting you continue to overstock.

Ed 

33 minutes ago, 1937-44 said:

I had a feeling if that 38 slant back sat there very long it would have a home. Hopefully it is a long happy relationship.

Carl

Yep, I do believe it's true love. Just a lot of things to get sorted out with all the other cars before I can spend some quality time with her but I do believe it will indeed be a long and happy relationship. Thanks for the nice thoughts Carl.

• Like 3

The engine and trans have been rebuilt and the carpet has been replaced.  Has vintage air that cools good down here.

Car runs like a scalded dog after being rebuilt. 

Needs paint and new seat covers but you could drive the car anywhere.

Edited by Bill Stoneberg (see edit history)
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Been awhile since I posted and I guess my excuse is I have been a bit busy playing Buick Used Car salesman. They are all sold and have departed Buick Sales and Service Garage with exception of the '38 which I am keeping and the 63 Special which is awaiting a ride to NC.  And truthfully it has been quite an enjoyable and rewarding job. The enjoyable part being cleaning a couple of them up (the '62 225 and '63 Le Sabre) and seeing what was hidden under 30+ years of dust. The rewards while not so much monetary but rather the people I made happy by putting a nice old Buick in their hands at a very fair price. I also made a couple of new local Buick friends and sold them the cars only with the understanding they join the BCA.

I think I may have mentioned that the owner gave me a very good deal on the cars. But what really surprised me was that in the beginning of the negotiations, they told me that word had gotten out that they were selling the cars and had had people calling and wanting to come look and that one had even made an offer that exceeded the amount they had offered them to me for. They simply told them to talk to the new owner, yours truly. On the day I picked up the last car I asked Tom why he had chosen me as the one to take ownership of all of his dads old Buicks when he could have sold them for much more money. He remarked "Lamar, it's not about the money. These cars were my dads and we want to see them all go to good Buick loving homes and we knew the first day you were here that you were who we wanted them to go to, that you would find good homes for them". He then pointed to my left forearm and said "and that is what sealed it".  I got chill bumps because I knew he was talking about the sweep spear tattoo that my daughter had given me a gift certificate to a local tattoo shop years ago for and told me to get a Buick tattoo.

IMG_4869.JPG

• Like 11

Matt and his friend Mike picking up the '54 Century and riding off into the sunset 

IMG_4261.JPGIMG_4262.JPGIMG_4272.JPGIMG_4296.JPGIMG_4297.JPGIMG_4275.JPG

Mike took a liking to the little black '63 Special with the 215 pinhead engine and decided to buy it. The interior of which with exception of the sagging headliner is in exceptionally good condition.

IMG_4061.JPGIMG_4063.JPGIMG_4064.JPGIMG_4065.JPGIMG_4068.JPGIMG_4069.JPGIMG_4070.JPGIMG_4072.JPG

IMG_4066.JPG

• Like 5