Jump to content

MrEarl's Barnfind Adventure


MrEarl

Recommended Posts

It all started with an email from an old friend and Dixie Chapter member Bruce Kile advising that he and a friend were going to look at some old Buick's in a warehouse and because there was a 54 involved thought I might be interested in joining them. I of course said sure and made plans to meet up with them at the warehouse in Toccoa Georgia. Toccoa is a small town in NE Georgia located about 50 miles from me and I have always known it to have lots of old Buick's in it. We met at the warehouse and was met by a super nice gentleman named Ray who told us the story behind all the Buicks we were about to see. The Buick's had belonged to the owner of Tugalo Gas Company who had passed away about 25 years ago. We met his son Tom,  who is the current owner and learned that Ray was the Vice President of the company. We spent probably about 3 hours looking over the cars and I of course spent half of that looking at the '54 which was a solid 4 door Century with near perfect glass, original seat upholstery under old seat covers and had had a respray.

The rest of the cars consisted of:

 

1938 Special Model 44, 2 door Streamline Sport Sedan
1940 Super Model 51 Four-Door Touring Sedan

1953 Special 4 door

1953 Super 4 door

1962 Electra 225 4 door 4 window

1963 Special 4 door

1963 LeSaber 4 door

 

After looking over the cars we had a late lunch at M&J's Home Cooking Restaurant,   a buffet style restaurant there in town. We discussed the cars and the fact that the owner was looking for offers and as the cars had been collected by his father, he wanted to ensure they went to good homes. Bruce and his friend were quite amazed at what we had seen but had no real interest in purchasing anything . I on the other hand, upon arriving home  talked it over with Rita and we decided I should at least make an offer on the little 54 Century.

The next day I called Ray and he informed me he had had calls from two individuals very interested in the cars and especially the '38. I made him an offer on the '54 and he said he guessed he could do it, but would I possibly be interested in the whole lot and quoted a figure that I had to ask him to repeat to ensure I had heard correctly. Considering the very fair figure that he had thrown at me and the fact I knew he had others interested in the cars, I quickly answered that I would take them. All the time realizing this was a bit more than Rita and I had discussed and immediately began wondering how the hell was I going to break this news to her.

The following Monday I began hauling the Buicks home to Buick Gardens. But not before calling and suggesting to Ken Green here on the forum that he bring his trailer and if he liked the 40 Super he could take it home with him and if not he could deliver it to my house. We had lunch at M&J's Buffet, talked over the deal and as already learned from his new thread, he took it home with him.

Luckily I am still married and over the last week have made a number of trips through the beautiful winding roads of the Northeast Georgia countryside hauling these wonderful old Buicks home. Ken graciously agreed to help haul the two big girls, the LeSabre and the Electra 225. It appears I have not only gained seven more Buicks this week but also some new friends. Ray and Tom were two of the nicest people you would ever hope to meet and plan to keep in touch in letting them know where the Buicks find homes. Ken is in Atlanta and I am sure we will be getting together to turn some wrenches or pound on some metal.

Life in Buickland is good.

 

From the first day we visited. Lets start with the oldest first....

 

the 38 and 40. The 38 was restored back in the early 80's and driven, gorgeous interior. The 40 was being worked on when the owner died, leaving the interior to be finished.

 

IMG_3812.JPGIMG_3817.JPGIMG_3814.JPGIMG_3818.JPGIMG_3819.JPG

 

 

IMG_3833.JPG

 

 

more, much more to come..........

 

 

 

  • Like 15
Link to comment
Share on other sites

as I didn't even take pictures of anything else the first day, I'll skip to the 54, of which I took quite a few of. Solid floors, rockers, one cracked vent glass, original interior under old seat covers.   A bad respray especially of the roof. Not sure why the throttle through the middle of the dash... early handicapped assist maybe LOL....  or most likely for warm up. No options on a Century, not even power steering or radio.Considering the geographical location, possibly a shine runner? IMG_3820.JPGIMG_3826.JPGIMG_3823.JPGIMG_3825.JPG

  • Like 11
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am sure the question of "what are you going to do with them"  will come up. Honestly at this point, I do not know. I hope to sell most and after recouping my invested $$ put the rest on the completion of my new garage. But got to say, a couple of them are really starting to grow on me. That '38 makes my heart skip a beat every time I look at that long nose and grill, not to mention the interior. 

 

I have lots of work ahead of me in just getting them running and semi cleaned up. I will continue to post through that process and then once decided what to sell, start posting on Buy/Sell. Would consider offers at any point though, save me some work maybe. :wacko::)

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

First day of loading and second day of chowing down at M&J's Country Cooking. Good soul food, pretty waitresses and old Buicks on the trailer in the parking lot. Can life get much better?IMG_3858.JPGIMG_3860.JPGIMG_3862.JPGIMG_3863.JPGIMG_3865.JPGIMG_3866.JPG

IMG_3868.JPG

 

 

 

 

IMG_3872.JPGIMG_3874.JPGIMG_3875.JPGIMG_3876.JPG

 

and Ken, proud new owner of the '40 Super

 

IMG_3877.JPG

 

 

  • Like 13
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Heck yeah!  

  And now you are a BUICK guy with the STRAIGHT EIGHT.   I never cared much for the sloper, but it IS a '38. Last year of floor shift. First year of back coil springs.  Good score. 

 

  And MORE history with the '53s. The omega and the alpha.

 

  Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

 

 Sorry 'bout that. I picked that up from our friends "down under".

  

 

Ben

 

 

so so what does sloper reefer to? 

1 hour ago, avgwarhawk said:

Wow Lamar. Leap of faith! I can see why you love the 38!

 

 

Umm hummmmm!!

 

 

22 minutes ago, LeCat said:

Wish i could make find like that, but thats more than hard ( maybe impossible) here. Do you have some pics of the Lesabre and electra?

 

Coming LeCat ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Lamar,

 

I guess I need to convince you to join the 36-38 Buick Club now. http://www.3638buickclub.org/membership.html

 

 

Buick called the 38-44 a Special 2-Door Streamline-Sport Sedan. They are often referred to as a "Slant Back" these days in the US, and "Sloper" Down Under.

With a little bit of attention, you could clean that one up, go through the fuel system, and bring it to the 36-38 Buick Club Tour in Wilmington April 9-12.

Also, since the club is open to all Straight 8 era Buicks, send me some information on any of those that you want to sell and I can advertise them on the club website and in the newsletter.

 

 

  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MrEarl said:

 

 

Coming LeCat ?

I might be interested in one if it is the right one... my wife will probably kill me but who wants to live forever? Anyway, if nothing else it would give me the opportuninity to see your amazing cars.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Mr Earl

Good to see you now have a real Buick: a straight 8 :)

You need to keep at least 1 of those straight 8's

 

4 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

 Sorry 'bout that. I picked that up from our friends "down under".

The Aussie slopers have more slope than Fisher 44's  Very popular body style

(file image upload did not work first time)

1937-Fisher_Holden.jpg

Edited by 1939_Buick (see edit history)
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, Dang, look who's in the Pre-War business now!  Somehow we just knew it wouldn't take long to get you hooked on a straight eight.  I guess you know you just hosed off these guys that tell everyone that Buick didn't build anything worth a hoot before 1960 - you know, the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's crowd.  The '54's are nice, but, wait till Dale hears about this!

Welcome to Buick Heaven Brother!

 

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thinking about you still being married after an acquisition such as this perhaps Rita is thinking the same as my wife and the purchase of the 60 a week ago. She said, "You have not bankrupt us in 22 years of marriage. Buy away!"

 

Looking at the lot of cars the 38 is to die for. Beautiful lines. And like me who loves the 54's has found love in my heart for a 60. It appears you have room in yours for a 38. Keep it. You will be glad you did.

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

What a Buickful find!  Love that 38 too!  BTW, is that the one with the truncated rear frame?

No short frames on '38's. 1939 was the year with the frame issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Home of Camp Toccoa and the 101st Airborne back in WWII. 

 

If you liked Band of Brothers, this is the actual Camp site where they started out.

 

Nice 101st museum in Toccoa and they can direct you out to the former site of the camp.  Not much there, a nice monument and you can see one former barracks being used as a maintenance building for the current modern business on the Camp site.  You can dive up the actual 'hill' (mountain) they ran up and down. Amazing view at the top and equally amazing how tough these men were to run up and down it.  Suggest a 4WD truck with high ground clearance, the road was washed out in several places with good sized ruts when I drove up it and first gear the whole way.  Not paved, large re-used fist size broken concrete material surface.  Lots of cell phone towers now at the top.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, now, it's handy that you got yourself a prewar Buick mechanic to visit Buick Gardens too. Does anyone else foresee a '38 drag race between MrEarl and Mark Shaw in their respective two doors? ;)B)

 

Congrats on the find and surviving the purchase. 

 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well Mr. Earl, and Ms. Rita, welcome to the Pre War Forums !!!!

To get to be a member of the 3638 club AND become a '40 team member in one swell foop is a real coop !    Coupe(?)

Now you know the '38 gets a place of honor in the new clubhouse, and the '40 becomes your daily driver.

That makes it possible for you to give "Buttercup" to the long lost Terry. Who is not big enough to dent the hood.

 

Grasshopper

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a stash! That 38 is to die for! I sold one for a friend in the late 60's like it except for color. It was dark blue and went to Traverse, MI. I loved the car but being just a few years out of college, a new wife and daughter, it was not in the cards! I also owned a four door sedan hump back in the early 70's that had the "self shifting" transmission. Love those 38's

 

What happened to your old line "If I was a little younger" or something to that effect

 

Gary

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What a find. Been hanging out with Mr. Earl the past few days and had some fun moving the rest of the stuff that was coming home out of the building yesterday. What a load.... 2 engines with tranny's still attached, Doors, fenders, front end frame and steering parts, rear end... Way too much to list. Now to see where to unload it all??? Dang that plane ticket should have had more days attached to it. Actually typing this on his puter.  Dandy Dave!  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Thriller said:

Well, now, it's handy that you got yourself a prewar Buick mechanic to visit Buick Gardens too. Does anyone else foresee a '38 drag race between MrEarl and Mark Shaw in their respective two doors? ;)B)

 

Congrats on the find and surviving the purchase.

 

 

Not me!  My 38 is a cruiser; not a dragster.  Besides, mine has a Century rear end that makes it a looser for drag racing.

 

Lamar,

     Congratulations on buying one of the best prewar Buicks.

Please send your info. to Dave Ebert Sr. to be included in the PWD roster.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/26/2017 at 1:38 PM, billbuickgs said:

Just saw this post    ,WOW Lamar ,really nice BUICKS!!!

I think that is the first 38 -44 I've seen (REALLY SHARP )

Good Luck with these !

Wish I was close enough to visit  .

Bill

 

Thanks Bill, I personally like that slant back too. Would love to have you visit, come on down!!! 

 

 

On 3/26/2017 at 1:52 PM, MCHinson said:

Lamar,

 

I guess I need to convince you to join the 36-38 Buick Club now. http://www.3638buickclub.org/membership.html

 

 

Buick called the 38-44 a Special 2-Door Streamline-Sport Sedan. They are often referred to as a "Slant Back" these days in the US, and "Sloper" Down Under.

With a little bit of attention, you could clean that one up, go through the fuel system, and bring it to the 36-38 Buick Club Tour in Wilmington April 9-12.

Also, since the club is open to all Straight 8 era Buicks, send me some information on any of those that you want to sell and I can advertise them on the club website and in the newsletter.

 

 

  

 

I'll look into it Matt, thanks.

 

On 3/26/2017 at 2:11 PM, JohnD1956 said:

What a Buickful find!  Love that 38 too!  BTW, is that the one with the truncated rear frame?

 

Thanks JD, not sure about that truncated rear, haven't looked yet....

On 3/26/2017 at 2:38 PM, LAS VEGAS DAVE said:

NICE FIND, I bet they will look even better after they are cleaned up.

 

 

Thanks Dave, it will take some time to get around to cleaning them all. Wouldn't mind if some left before I get the chance to clean them.

 

 

On 3/26/2017 at 3:18 PM, LeCat said:

I might be interested in one if it is the right one... my wife will probably kill me but who wants to live forever? Anyway, if nothing else it would give me the opportuninity to see your amazing cars.

 

As soon as I know you and everyone else will know LeCat.  :)

On 3/26/2017 at 4:09 PM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

 

 Lamar, Matt answered the sloper question. Slant back in U.S.  Sloper in Australia.  

 

  I am envious.

 

  Ben

 

Hmmm, got a lot to learn. Thanks Ben!!

On 3/26/2017 at 4:26 PM, 1939_Buick said:

Mr Earl

Good to see you now have a real Buick: a straight 8 :)

You need to keep at least 1 of those straight 8's

 

The Aussie slopers have more slope than Fisher 44's  Very popular body style

(file image upload did not work first time)

1937-Fisher_Holden.jpg

 

Wow, really like the Aussie sloper. There is a lot of room in the Fisher 44 back sear, you could throw a dance party in it.

On 3/26/2017 at 5:25 PM, Terry Wiegand said:

Well, Dang, look who's in the Pre-War business now!  Somehow we just knew it wouldn't take long to get you hooked on a straight eight.  I guess you know you just hosed off these guys that tell everyone that Buick didn't build anything worth a hoot before 1960 - you know, the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's crowd.  The '54's are nice, but, wait till Dale hears about this!

Welcome to Buick Heaven Brother!

 

Terry Wiegand

Out Doo Dah Way

 

Well thank you Terry!!!

 

 

On 3/26/2017 at 6:05 PM, avgwarhawk said:

Thinking about you still being married after an acquisition such as this perhaps Rita is thinking the same as my wife and the purchase of the 60 a week ago. She said, "You have not bankrupt us in 22 years of marriage. Buy away!"

 

Looking at the lot of cars the 38 is to die for. Beautiful lines. And like me who loves the 54's has found love in my heart for a 60. It appears you have room in yours for a 38. Keep it. You will be glad you did.

 

Yep, Rita is a good one. Gave up her Zero Turn lawnmower savings to contribute to my little venture here. So need to sell something SOON!!!

 

On 3/26/2017 at 6:39 PM, Mudbone said:

Thanks for sharing! This is awesome. Keep us up to date. That would have made a killer video! Mud

 

It would have made a great video wouldn't it. Actually it all happened so fast I am lucky to have gotten pictures though.

On 3/26/2017 at 8:04 PM, jackofalltrades70 said:

Very nice my friend!  You made out like  a bandit it would seem

Well Matt, I didn't quite steal them but got them for a very fair price I think (hope)

On 3/26/2017 at 9:19 PM, LAS VEGAS DAVE said:

Are you going to keep the 38? 

Would love to Dave but lots to consider. My new garage plans didn't take a long nose 38 into consideration. So we all know what that means don't we. :(

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/27/2017 at 9:24 AM, suchan said:

No short frames on '38's. 1939 was the year with the frame issue. 

 

Well that's GREAT to hear, thanks suchan!!!

On 3/27/2017 at 10:48 AM, Brian_Heil said:

Home of Camp Toccoa and the 101st Airborne back in WWII. 

 

If you liked Band of Brothers, this is the actual Camp site where they started out.

 

Nice 101st museum in Toccoa and they can direct you out to the former site of the camp.  Not much there, a nice monument and you can see one former barracks being used as a maintenance building for the current modern business on the Camp site.  You can dive up the actual 'hill' (mountain) they ran up and down. Amazing view at the top and equally amazing how tough these men were to run up and down it.  Suggest a 4WD truck with high ground clearance, the road was washed out in several places with good sized ruts when I drove up it and first gear the whole way.  Not paved, large re-used fist size broken concrete material surface.  Lots of cell phone towers now at the top.

 

Interesting Brian. Love the rolling hills of the Toccoa area.

 

On 3/27/2017 at 0:16 PM, parkertom said:

Great story and great find. Nice that these are out seeing the light of day again.

 

Would like to see more of that 54 Century if you decide to sell. Have begun eyeing up Craigslist ads for 54 Buicks over the past couple of weeks.

 

 

Hmmm, Tom I'll keep you in mind. You couldn't ask for a more solid car. 

 

On 3/27/2017 at 3:29 PM, AC Fuhrman said:

CONGRATULATIONS - thanks for sharing the story - would also be a nice BUGLE feature for sure!

 

 

Thanks AC, I'll see what Pete Phillips thinks about it for the Bugle.

 

 

On 3/27/2017 at 4:06 PM, Thriller said:

Well, now, it's handy that you got yourself a prewar Buick mechanic to visit Buick Gardens too. Does anyone else foresee a '38 drag race between MrEarl and Mark Shaw in their respective two doors? ;)B)

 

Congrats on the find and surviving the purchase. 

 

 

Nope, won't be drag racing Mark or anybody else if I keep her. Tha's what the Century if for.  Thanks for the congrats.

 

 

On 3/27/2017 at 4:14 PM, FLYER15015 said:

Well Mr. Earl, and Ms. Rita, welcome to the Pre War Forums !!!!

To get to be a member of the 3638 club AND become a '40 team member in one swell foop is a real coop !    Coupe(?)

Now you know the '38 gets a place of honor in the new clubhouse, and the '40 becomes your daily driver.

That makes it possible for you to give "Buttercup" to the long lost Terry. Who is not big enough to dent the hood.

 

Grasshopper

 

Hmmm, sombody must think they are looking art Playboy, only looking at the pictures. Check the text Grasshopper, the '40 is sold.  But the 38 will make for a good excuse to get Terry down for another photo shot won't it. :P

 

 

22 hours ago, g-g-g0 said:

What a stash! That 38 is to die for! I sold one for a friend in the late 60's like it except for color. It was dark blue and went to Traverse, MI. I loved the car but being just a few years out of college, a new wife and daughter, it was not in the cards! I also owned a four door sedan hump back in the early 70's that had the "self shifting" transmission. Love those 38's

 

What happened to your old line "If I was a little younger" or something to that effect

 

Gary

 

Yea Gary, I just sort of forgot my old line "If'n I was a young man" didn't I. But after a week and a half straight of loading ,  hauling these things home and unloading, it is coming back to me.

 

19 hours ago, Brian_Heil said:

I better save a spot for Mr. Earl on the PWD After Tour.  Ha!

 

8-in-a-row-is-the-way-to-go!

 

Or a pre '31 next? Six-for-kicks.

 

 

 

Not quite ready for an after tour this year Brian. and hmmmmm, I like that "six for kicks" slogan. And honestly I HAVE been looking at a few late 20's roadsters lately.

 

 

 

9 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

What a find. Been hanging out with Mr. Earl the past few days and had some fun moving the rest of the stuff that was coming home out of the building yesterday. What a load.... 2 engines with tranny's still attached, Doors, fenders, front end frame and steering parts, rear end... Way too much to list. Now to see where to unload it all??? Dang that plane ticket should have had more days attached to it. Actually typing this on his puter.  Dandy Dave!  

 

Yep, dedicated a complete thread to your visit Dave!!!

 

 

8 hours ago, billbuickgs said:

I sure hope that Lamar does a full write-up with pictures about his venture on here  or in his column

" What's happening on the forum  ? " in the BUGLE .

 

Bill

 

Finally getting back to this Bill, so yea, lots to come.

 

8 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Just saw this thread. I am speechless other than this is what dreams are made of!

 

Thanks Jason, it has indeed been like a dream.

 

 

2 hours ago, old-tank said:

Sell that dusty old '38 or put it in a corner until after you finish other already started projects ;).

 

As usual, some excellent Willie advice. Time sure is flying by these days.

 

 

50 minutes ago, Mark Shaw said:

 

Not me!  My 38 is a cruiser; not a dragster.  Besides, mine has a Century rear end that makes it a looser for drag racing.

 

Lamar,

     Congratulations on buying one of the best prewar Buicks.

Please send your info. to Dave Ebert Sr. to be included in the PWD roster.

 

Mark, I got a spare engine, transmission and rear end in with the deal, so will need to figure out what gears are in the rear. I think this car would be a cruiser too. and thanks for the congrats!!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...