Air Conditioner

I plan to convert the AC on my 1990 16 valve from R12 to 134a. There is no R12 left in the system. There seems to be to be a number of different opinions on how best to do this. Do I need to replace the compressor and/or the accumulator? Would appreciate help from others who have already been down this road

Lol it's not that big of a process. There have been reports that 134 isn't as efficient as r12 but unless you are buying the 12 from Mexico you don't really have choice between the two right?.  Question tho, you're having a shop do this right? The system should be vacuumed down, new oil and 134 added then checked for leaks. Not really the kind of buy-the-can-from-the-auto-parts-store-and do-it- yourself kind of thing in my opinion  but that's maybe just me;)

I did this conversion on my 1990 truck years ago and was pleased with the result. Since then i did some research on the subject. For best results you need to remove as much as the old oil as possible out of the system. The r12 oil is not compatible with the r134 refrigerant. Definitely replace the receiver/drier! The compressor is up to you depending on what kind of performance you want. If you live in an extremely hot climate then yes replace it. The r134 works at higher pressures then the r12 so a 134 compressor will result in colder air. It may be a good idea to replace the hoses also, nearly 30 year old hoses and higher working pressures may result in leaks. You can do this at home if you are handy and have some no how. You will need to evacuate the system so if you don't have the things necessary to do this take it to someone to have it filled.