1931 Chevrolet Questions Parts/ Contacts?

grubin

I am considering purchasing a 1931 Chevrolet Sedan. My question is are there forums for help and clubs

Can anyone steer me to parts catalogs for future parts

This would be my first outside my model a and t  where parts and forums are in abundance 

Any assistance would be appreciated 

gary

The Vintage Chevy Club of America forum has many very helpful people on that particular age of Chevy.  They have forums in age groups, and that one would be the 29-to 32 forum.

Search for VCCA Forums on websearch.

Just to be clear.............. I bought a 31 chevy roadster and it took 3 years to find all of the parts.

I then bought model A fords and havent looked at the chevy again. (put away in storage).

there are so many parts for the A- so little for the chevy. Didnt think it would be like that at all, but it is.

not nearly as many chevys survived, due to the issue of wood.

Love the chevys, but to some extent, are orphan cars when looking for parts.............. just thought you should know.

There are lots of parts available for 31 Chevrolets. Depending on the model some are harder to find than others but many parts are found everyday on the VCCA forum mentioned above. 

Check out the Chevrolet parts site The Filling Station.

Many VCCA members also have parts, I bet I have 5,000 lbs of 31 Chevy parts. Don't give up too soon.

Dave

Edited by Dave39MD (see edit history)

35 minutes ago, Dave39MD said:

There are lots of parts available for 31 Chevrolets. Depending on the model some are harder to find than others but many parts are found everyday on the VCCA forum mentioned above. 

Check out the Chevrolet parts site The Filling Station.

Many VCCA members also have parts, I bet I have 5,000 lbs of 31 Chevy parts. Don't give up too soon.

Dave

I agree with this.  The VCCA forum members are hard core hobby folk that will help you source whatever you need. 

Chevys are certainly a good and dependable car to own....pretty good lookin' too  :) 

3 hours ago, grubin said:

This is the problem I had with my 55 Chrysler St. Regis.  I don't want go get into this situation again. Yes model A's are great....Looks like I'll pass. 

Mr. Grubin, don't give up quite so quickly!

Many thousands of hobbyists have cars that

aren't so common, and they do just fine.

If the entire hobby was based on Ford Model A's

and 1957 Chevrolets, it wouldn't be nearly

as interesting as it is.

I'll sure second that , John. But Gary , what condition is it in ? Can you just drive and maintain it ? Is that EXACTLY what you like to do with cars ? Or does it need quite a bit of work? Is that EXACTLY what you like to do with cars ? Do you enjoy doing EXACTLY what the Chevvy needs , or will need ? If you feel yourself falling in love with it , don't throw in the towel too soon. In my case , I must fall in love with a very original car. My '20s Cadillacs are a deeply emotional love affair. I particularly enjoy bringing a gracefully aging beauty back to long distance road ready condition. And then putting thousands of miles on it. Sometimes you have to reach out to the old boy network, or have to fabricate a part. But you sure have been around the block more than a few times with old cars. Love , man ! It makes the wheels go 'round !  Good luck with all your present and future cars !   - Carl

I'm glad to hear all the comments I don't  mind the challenge. I enjoy the swap meets and the hunt 

In the past I usually pick cars ready to be crushed and restore them   Just my crazy thing

I am completing a corvair Rampside but saw this 31 four door. Other than a few chips here and there it's really nice with rebuilt motor. 

I dont have  to do any mechanics other than maintaining 

A few question. Are the brakes like the model A or more traditional. The motor looks like the 55 3100 I restored   I have never really looked at one so I am more familiar with the Model A and Model T

asking price is 8500 on eBay  The video sent to me looks really good and runs great

I have purchased and sold on eBay for a long time now so I expect less and hope for beter

Looking for a nice driver for local shows or just a fun drive. I'm no longer into winning the trophy anymore. 

My problem is I like everything. Just a car person my entire life ?

Im thinking hard on this one. Never had a 30's Chevrolet 

The parts for a 1931 Chevy are out there. You just need to network.  I have had 30-32 Chevy's and Model A's  Going down the road a Chevrolet is a lot more solid than a Model A .

Heck, I am restoring a 31 Auburn coupe and am able to find everything  I need for that. The fun is in the chase.

• Like 2

grubin,

One word of caution, look at the car in person or find someone that knows about structural wood car bodies. You should verify the car has good wood. Doors solid - no movement at the hinges. Check the bottom of the A pillar at the sill. The wood is available from several suppliers but it is a lot of work to replace.

Dave