beerczar1976

1950 Bias White Walls

I know the bias vs. radial discussion has been beat to death. For the sake of discussion, I'm sticking with bias ply. Now for a 1950, what is the better white wall width to go with? I've seen sizes and pricing vary pretty greatly from 1" on up to 3-3/8". Pricing w/shipping from $185 to about $250. Thoughts? The Goodyear Super Cushion Deluxe's look pretty nice with a 2-3/4" wall, but are also the most expensive. Coker Classics with a 3" are the cheapest. Coker B.F. Goodrich seem to land in the middle price-wise but are all about $214. Thoughts?

With an admitted lack of knowledge of 1950 correctness, I personally believe that any whitewall larger than 2 1/2" on a postwar car looks too wide.

• Like 4

The mounted width is usually 1/4" less than advertised.  Most of the tires including the Coker Classics are available from Summit Racing:  no charge shipping and usually no sales tax.  

• Like 1

I have driven the Coker and Universal(apparently one and the same). For some reason the Coker rides better from my experience with bias ply tires.    For your model Buick, what WW size was offered for that year?  Purchase a tire to match the same WW width.  

I agree Buick 5563 concerning the width of WW.    

• Like 2

Thanks for the input guys. Ordered the Coker B.F. Goodrich Vintage 7.60x15s w/2-1/2" WW from Summit. Price includes Free Shipping. Should be here in about a week or two.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, beerczar1976 said:

Should be here in about a week or two.

Don't leave town...might be 2 or 3 days!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, beerczar1976 said:

Thanks for the input guys. Ordered the Coker B.F. Goodrich Vintage 7.60x15s w/2-1/2" WW from Summit. Price includes Free Shipping. Should be here in about a week or two.

PICTURES WHEN THEY ARE MOUNTED!

Ben

• Like 2

Original rims powdercoated in Stealth Charcoal by Ken Dimitry's Metal Laundry here in Chesapeake, VA.  Tires are Coker B.F. Goodrich Silverton bias-ply., 7.60x15.  Will get the wheel stripes put back on at some point.  Took a TON of measurements.

Edited by beerczar1976
Correction (see edit history)
  • Like 4

No expert, but looks nice!  To me, MUCH better than the "gansta walls" that many seem to like on ANY car.

Thanks for the pictures!

NTX5467

• Like 1

Yeah, went with the 2-1/2" sidewall vs. the 3" or 3-3/8". The Special, being shorter wheelbase than the Super or Roadmaster, I thought the wide whites would have been definite overkill.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, beerczar1976 said:

Yeah, went with the 2-1/2" sidewall vs. the 3" or 3-3/8". The Special, being shorter wheelbase than the Super or Roadmaster, I thought the wide whites would have been definite overkill.

For me, anything over the 2 1/2"  is not appealing to my eye. What you have on the Special  looks right, feels right and is right. Just one man's opinion!  Enjoy!  

• Like 2

Just wondered what you guys think of Ruby's new shoes ( atlas additions) , I prefer the new look , relise the traditionalists may not. Photos of old and new look below

cheers 

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

• Like 4

On 3/24/2017 at 7:41 AM, buick5563 said:

With an admitted lack of knowledge of 1950 correctness, I personally believe that any whitewall larger than 2 1/2" on a postwar car looks too wide.

Presumably, this is the correct look 

IMG_0718.JPG

• Like 5

…. Rivdrivin that's because it IS the correct original look and ww-width…. wide n high like a pair of spats …. in 1950 narrower white walls for the most part had not caught on … for 1950 fords, chevy's , plymouths etc wore pad moon hub caps and black side walls … Buicks, Caddy's, and the top shelf offerings from Chrysler and Lincoln wore the wide and high look which went well with those big 8.00 & 8.20-15's  ….

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Rivdrivn said:

Presumably, this is the correct look 

IMG_0718.JPG

Artist renderings were not always what was driven off the assembly line.  Changes made at the dealer etc.  But by and large I do believe the wider WW is correct for 50. 

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The new tires took me right back to 1965 when I put four narrow white Firestone Deluxe Champion narrow whites on my '50 Special fastback.

This car came up for sale a little over a year ago and I think is my actual car with those tires still on it.

00i0i_9W4Qlimk5LH_600x450.jpg.0a479776c883c83f0d6c275faa096425.jpg00Q0Q_eBO6EUvxtDM_600x450.jpg.c1169f3116226da4ee5d99944b30c9d7.jpg00707_gqVUKHULJ09_600x450.jpg.4b528db4718dc4546ae037a3bfa9784d.jpg

The location and history all pointed to it being my old car.

In 1965 you saw the straight tread Dennan's in wide white at car shows. The Double Eagles, US Royals, and the like were usually on hay wagons in my area. So, half a century ago they were the hot set up. OUr old cars are our window in time. Most of us weren't there to enjoy the window when new. One just picks the window they like.

Bernie

Oh, those were 7.60X15's. We sold the caps for $12 each. I more than doubled my investment.

• Like 2

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 7:31 AM, avgwarhawk said:

1950-buick-registry.jpg

Anyone know what the thing in the middle of the grille is ?

Fog light ???

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 2:52 PM, JamesBulldogMiller55Buick said:

VERY NICE !!

Your tires and wheels look great!

• Like 1