Fitting welting to skirt suggestions

Tom_Overfield

IMG_0192.thumb.JPG.eeaf4bd2d7d86f64ff3d03be1e44aefb.JPGHi Folks,

i must be a a slow learner or something, but I thought I would have no trouble at all fitting the welting to the skirt. Had skirt on carpeted bench, welting had been painted and I started riveting it in place. Making sure it was perfectly aligned with the edge of the skirt. Installed on car and the welting was ok in about one third of the skirt across the top, then the welting started moving away from the fender for about ten inches on both the back edge and the front, leaving gaps In those areas. I got before and after videos of the process but so far haven't been able to find a way to post them here, however here is the fix.  For this areas that are perfect on the skirt but leave a gap at the fender, mark the start of the gap on the skirt with masking tape. Remove the rivets in those areas and move the welting in and up on the skirt so when you run your finger under the welting it is even with the skirt. Put new holes through the new welting locations and install new rivets. Patience rules the day on this, but it will fit finally.  I hope this is clear to anyone having to face this process.  I followed up by installing the welting on the other skirt using this process, at it went well with once exception, the front part of the welting moved over the edge a little too much preventing to skirt to move fully forward, I'll removed that rivet, move the welting back slightly and all will be well.

Tom

IMG_0499.MOV.mov

Edited by Tom_Overfield
Add video and photo (see edit history)