Wrong Cap or Wrong Radiator?

Ryan Q

Getting my '47  Lincoln ready to hit the road and one of the items on my to-do list was to replace the radiator cap as the 1980's stant cap seemed ill fitting.  I found a N.O.S. cap on fleabay and it is entirely too large/doesn't fit.  Now I'm not putting it past an e-bay seller to have something mis-listed, but I also can't eliminate the possibility that my radiator has been replaced in the last '70 years.  So if someone might be able to share a photos of their cap an filler neck (with a ruler/tape measure) it would be very much appreciated.  If I can confirm my radiator is correct I'll go ahead and order from a more reputable source, otherwise I'll start banging my head against the workbench.

There is a correct cap for sale on E-Bay right now. This cap fits a radiator filler with a 2 1/4" od and a 1" depth for a 4# rating.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1949-50-FORD-1949-51-MERCURY-1942-50-LINCOLN-4-LB-RADIATOR-CAP-NOS-FORD-217/401277261700?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41375%26meid%3Db09e4dc6fc69462da5b286117d5df2af%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D272475841612

Why don't you provide the photo and dimensions of your radiator filler opening? Then maybe someone can give you the correct cap for your radiator.

Edited by 19tom40
add info (see edit history)

Here are some photos of the filler neck with tape measure, I also have pictures of the R-9 cap that currently fits loosely on my radiator,  and a photo of the R-9 beside the previous ebay purchase that looks like it's requires a much larger opening.

Thanks,

R Q

IMG_1775.jpg

IMG_1776.jpg

IMG_1777.jpg

IMG_1778.jpg

Of course you question every part on eBay as they taut all things from a Model T rear end to a Mack truck part will fit your Lincoln. I used to send them notes to correct their assumptions, but I think it falls on deaf ears.  It's strictly buyer be aware!

Funnily enough, I was just thinking this past weekend that once I have everything together and running I need to start collecting "spare" parts to ensure no extended downtime the next time I have an issue. (So far the mental list has radiator cap, coils, condensers...)