Brass Solder Pipe Fittings

theKiwi

Does anyone know what these type of fittings are officially called, and where one might buy some in the US?

The first image is the Franklin drawing of the vacuum line from intake manifold to vacuum tank

58c942ea795a1_ScreenShot2017-03-15at9_30_33AM.png.68d983d9f0cb7d327a469adb85534698.png

The second image is the type of fitting that it is.

58c942e971455_ScreenShot2017-03-15at9_30_15AM.png.02446b45ddd9b28c6cc4a72d75dffde8.png

When I search Google for "solder nipple" or "brass solder nipple" it only seems to be able to turn up that they are still available in the UK, but then the nuts seem to have British Pipe Threads on them, not US threads.

I need 2 that go on ¼" copper pipe and have 7/16-24 threads on the nut.

Also in an ideal world these would go on nickel plated ¼" copper pipe, but I can live with regular copper pipe and maybe get that plated at some stage when I'm feeling really genuine.

Thanks!

Roger

Edited by theKiwi (see edit history)

On ‎3‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, theKiwi said:

I need 2 that go on ¼" copper pipe and have 7/16-24 threads on the nut.

Obviously you mean 1/4" OD pipe. You may have to find some one with a lathe. Not too difficult a job. 7/16-24 thds are an odd ball but taps are available or they could be cut single point.............Bob 

1 minute ago, Bhigdog said:

Obviously you mean 1/4" OD pipe. You may have to find some one with a lathe. Not too difficult a job. 7/16-24 thds are an odd ball but taps are available or they could be cut single point.............Bob 

1 - yes ¼ OD pipe

2 - the threads on a ¼" compression fitting nut today are the required 7/16-24, so I already have the needed nuts - just need the fitting.

Yes - I could make them if I had a lathe - I'm not sure my wife would consider these two tiny brass things sufficient reason to buy one though LOL

Roger

17 hours ago, theKiwi said:

1 - yes ¼ OD pipe

2 - the threads on a ¼" compression fitting nut today are the required 7/16-24, so I already have the needed nuts - just need the fitting.

Yes - I could make them if I had a lathe - I'm not sure my wife would consider these two tiny brass things sufficient reason to buy one though LOL

Roger

If you can provide a dimensioned drawing I'll make couple for you. Un-plated brass, you pay the shipping. The nut has a tapered seat to squeeze the ferrule. That  taper should be removed to make the seat flat. Shouldn't be a big deal.......Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

@Bhigdog Bob - thanks so much for a generous offer. If you're up to making them I'm certainly up to paying for postage (and buying you a beer if that helps...)

The attached image is based on the Franklin engineering drawing. Assuming ¼" for the pipe diameter I've interpolated the other dimensions, also mindful of the nut that has to go over this to screw on to the fitting. I do have the original Franklin fitting for one end of this. It has a tapered seat that would pretty closely match the seat angle shown in this drawing. The fitting I have for the other end is a regular US compression fitting and the new pipe fitting for this should seat into it with no problems.

Hopefully it's not too difficult to make - the wall thickness isn't great along the length D: (C - F)/2 = .030"

Let me know if you think this is too finicky - I was going to try and source some from England where they seem to be still available - although the nuts they sell won't fit the US threads on the fitting, but the "olive" should fit the ¼ pipe.

58cc2746c9c19_SolderNippleforPipe.thumb.png.afdffaa1403ac2a24bd366db7a645019.png

Thanks!!!!

Roger

Hi Roger. I think I can help you out. It would have been nice if they called out the taper's angle but I think they give enough info that I can trig it out. Can you send the drawing to me by separate EMail. That makes it easier for me to print it out.   bhigdog1@ptd.net.  ..................Bob

On 16/03/2017 at 4:14 PM, Rich Janouskovec said:

Kiwi did you try a welding supply house. Those look like the fittings on a gas regulator. If not them how about McMaster Carr Supply

They are way smaller than the fittings on a gas regulator, and a different shape.

McMaster Carr don't have anything anywhere near resembling them.

2 hours ago, cahartley said:

Check out John Deere two cylinder tractor engines.

Well - would you look at that - this is for 5/16" tubing (I need ¼ - I have the original 5/16 ones that are on a different line). But hey - they exist...

https://www.steinertractor.com/JDS1011-fuel--oil-line-gland--nut

So now we learn that they are called a "gland nut" apparently - Ebay has a number of them for sale in the UK

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=gland+nut&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.Xgland+nut+olive.TRS0&_nkw=gland+nut+olive&_sacat=0

but these all have BSP (British Standard Pipe) threads on the nut, so won't fit my fittings.

Roger

FWIW...... there is some nomenclature license being taken. A gland seal is used to seal a rotating or sliding shaft. Usually the gland nut compresses a soft seal as it's tightened to effect the seal. Think older faucet stem or older water pump. Not sure what you call the part needed here. If I had to guess I'd call it a type of ferrule..............Bob

McMaster does have something similar. They call it a flared tube fitting...............

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

8 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

FWIW...... there is some nomenclature license being taken. A gland seal is used to seal a rotating or sliding shaft. Usually the gland nut compresses a soft seal as it's tightened to effect the seal. Think older faucet stem or older water pump. 

Yep - don't disagree with that!!

8 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Not sure what you call the part needed here. If I had to guess I'd call it a type of ferrule..............Bob

Solder nipple seems to find the most results for it on Google.

I think of ferrules as being thin, and providing the clamping force themselves - e.g. the metal band around a paint brush or the metal band at the end of a wooden handle on tools like chisels or the "olive" in a compression fitting.

Roger

Thanks Bob

It's great that so many of the drawings for the parts of this 90 year old car still exist and are available to H H Franklin Car Club members through the club's website, so replacement parts can be made to the original drawings.

Roger

This was the last time I had it out in the middle of December for a driveway photo-op. Hopefully you can see these even if you don't have Facebook?

https://www.facebook.com/RogerMoffat/media_set?set=a.10209539994709566.1073742074.1018039203&type=3

Just in case, here's a photo of it here in this post when I bought it at Hershey in October 2016...

IMG_8214.thumb.JPG.7db3ca61bd76aa9e16940fa2a6c79232.JPG

And here it is being delivered a week or so later...

IMG_8310.thumb.JPG.569545f1a081c6790a31084ad5b7105c.JPG

The doohickey project was because it had an electric pump on it when I got it - and a non working vacuum tank that had been removed. I've had the vacuum tank looked over and tidied up and fitted it back to the car, but didn't have the pipe that the doohickeys went on today.

Roger

5 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

This may be the first time in history I have not had a problem with your posts Bob! :)  Actually, I wanted to commend you on helping out Roger.  It renews my faith in having this forum.  Kudos to you!  (not sure what a Kudo is but it is being sent to you anyway!) :)

Steve - I'm happy to have started something that Bob couldn't cause you a problem about :-)

And I'm very happy with what Bob did for me with these wee nipple gland doohickeys too.

Cheers

Roger

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 3/29/2017 at 6:13 AM, Bhigdog said:

1/4" solder type /  Tapered with Gland Nut Fittings  

These are very common and used on early antique motorcycles.  When I'm done all this will

get Cadmium Plated 👀:D  :rolleyes:

INDIAN's Harley Davidson, Crocker, old british 

Watch the old british because the threads are BSP  ' british standard pipe ' which you don't want.

WHAT you may know that ANY plumbing supply / hardware store had Gland Nuts in American threads.  What you do need.

These are available now, anywhere !

LOOK @  ::  Jerry Greer Motocycle Co. 

https://www.jerrygreersengineering.com

under chief / 4's IN THE 1930's - 41 years .......... gas line ...... pp 29 ...... you'll see the fittings #5 ....... about 3-4bucks ea.

JG-3035_sm.gif?5b75786e07a884192e4ec1dbb

JG-3037_sm.gif?f47f1a7e9a0a6f60ebc2c5724

&&          Unusual 1/4" fittings      https://www.plumbingsupply.com/copper-by-size.html#025

THIS could be used as a TAP OFF........ remove the valve core and use the cap to seal. When you want / need to drain the tank [ slow as it may be ] this could very well work.

https://www.zoro.com/jb-industries-14-access-valve-tee-brasscopper-a31140/i/G1290177/feature-product?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5J_mBRDVARIsAGqGLZB-NcbTuPWeD7hExGtQ1KHa3D56Dhshk16_qOwjkJR2GTJ4r3L58wUaAqslEALw_wcB

https://www.grainger.com/product/3DXA1?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5J_mBRDVARIsAGqGLZB2FdzvqgK8l3oR9S1BsFkFF8-Sid6d6SsXwkxOPvaKnD-dOD4cmIMaAunFEALw_wcB&cm_mmc=PPC:+Google+PLA&ef_id=Cj0KCQjw5J_mBRDVARIsAGqGLZB2FdzvqgK8l3oR9S1BsFkFF8-Sid6d6SsXwkxOPvaKnD-dOD4cmIMaAunFEALw_wcB:G:s&s_kwcid=AL!2966!3!281733070937!!!g!471321798603!

ANOTHER BENDING TIP

Tape the line ends and PACK & I mean PACK fine grained sand into the steel brake line before bending and you a lot less likely to kink on a small radius.  Use Steel over copper , because copper can "work - Harden " depending on vibration, fatigue & softer material.  1/4" steel brake line is the bees knees.

Be Extra Sure and use a taper drill bit @ the end INSIDES of the steel lines so the 'flow' of fuel isn't restricted or any turbulence caused

inside the line. !  ! !  ! ! ! ! 

A  " V_Belt' Pulley  . . . . .  also acts as a bending shoe............:

.thumb_IMG_0454_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0558_1024.thumb.jpg.962896529d8bdd30e66590ab3ec6ec2d.jpg

thumb_IMG_0554_1024.jpg

thumb_IMG_0551_1024.jpg

Edited by Black Knight (see edit history)
  • Like 1