'79 Lincoln 400 CID A/C idler pulley

AK Buickman

I've been unsuccessful at several local parts stores and Rock Auto in trying to buy an idler pulley/belt tensioner for my 1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V with a 400 cubic inch engine.  This idler pulley puts tension on the air conditioning fan belt, and is manually adjusted, not spring loaded.  Does anyone know if this part is available somewhere, or can just the sealed bearing be replaced?  It looks like the idler pulley can be disassembled, and perhaps just the bearing be replaced.  The only problem with my idler pulley is that the bearing is worn.

I tried using an idler pulley assembly from a 302 Ford engine of the same vintage, but the offset is different, so the pulley did not align with the fan belt.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Gary

1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V Collector's Series 

39 minutes ago, AK Buickman said:

I've been unsuccessful at several local parts stores and Rock Auto in trying to buy an idler pulley/belt tensioner for my 1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V with a 400 cubic inch engine.  This idler pulley puts tension on the air conditioning fan belt, and is manually adjusted, not spring loaded.  Does anyone know if this part is available somewhere, or can just the sealed bearing be replaced?  It looks like the idler pulley can be disassembled, and perhaps just the bearing be replaced.  The only problem with my idler pulley is that the bearing is worn.

I tried using an idler pulley assembly from a 302 Ford engine of the same vintage, but the offset is different, so the pulley did not align with the fan belt.

Any help with this would be appreciated.

Gary

1979 Lincoln Continental Mark V Collector's Series 

I don't know if it will be any help, but I have a '79 LTC with a 400 engine. I was able to find an air cleaner hose for a '79 mustang that worked, but nowhere was it listed for a Lincoln. So... I am assuming they have the same engine or some of the same parts? I found my part by a search for a '79 Mustang with that part and looking at the images to find one that looked right. I ordered it with the understanding I could return if it didn't work, but it did.

Edited by victorialynn2 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It is possible to take it apart and replace the bearing. Take the old bearing to an industrial bearing shop (look in the yellow pages, there should be one in your town). They use a standard off the shelf bearing worth under $10 bucks. If you can buy another idler it is not worth the bother but if you can't get one any other way you can replace the bearing.

In any case, don't forget to grease it. They come with a couple of drops of oil in them, they will last a lot longer if greased.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Thank you!

The NOS Motorcraft pulley/bearing looks like the one I need.  I'll check the FoMoCo part number to confirm.  Thank you wldavis

My car uses a V-belt, not a serpentine fan belt.  Victorialynn2, I'm going to check out Parts Geek.com because what I need looks like what is pictured in their website.  I'm guessing that on Ford products, the pulley and bearing might be the same for a whole bunch of models, and just the support bracket that holds the pulley is different between models.  Good lead--Thank you!

Once I have a new pulley/bearing assembly, then I might also try going to an industrial bearing supply to match a new bearing as Rusty 'Toole suggests just for having a spare part for the future.

Gary

• Like 1